[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 27, Number 24

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Thu Jun 8 09:36:41 PDT 2017

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 27, Number 24
Jun.08,2017

Announcement submission website: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/messenger_form/

Table of Contents

1. GEM Workshop 2017: Storm-Time Inner Magnetosphere-Ionosphere Convection (SIMIC) Focus Group Session

1. GEM Workshop 2017: Storm-Time Inner Magnetosphere-Ionosphere Convection (SIMIC) Focus Group Session
From: Joseph Baker Stan Sazykin, Mike Ruohoniemi, Peter Chi, and Mark Engebretson (engebret at augsburg.edu)

The goal of the Storm-Time Inner Magnetosphere-Ionosphere Convection (SIMIC) Focus Group is to use ground- and space-based observations in conjunction with numerical simulation results to synthesize a new understanding of how plasma distributions, convection electric fields, and current systems emerge and evolve in the inner magnetosphere and conjugate ionosphere during geomagnetic storms.

At the 2017 GEM Summer Workshop, we will hold our last session on Wednesday 3:30-5:00 pm. We solicit contributions to follow up on previous topics, particularly on the SAPS challenge, but also more broadly anything relevant to the group. Since this is the last session, we will also discuss our achievements, and would welcome any contributions on open/unsolved problem that remain.

Particular topics of interest include: spatiotemporal dynamics of the Sub-Auroral Polarization Stream (SAPS), shielding by region-2 currents, active ionosphere-thermosphere feedback, and plasmasphere depletion/refilling. If you have data or simulation results relevant to either or both of these events -- please bring it!

We are looking for short workshop-style talks (i.e. a few slides only!) which are forward-thinking, focused on asking questions (rather than answering them), and searching out new opportunities to collaborate. If you would like to show a few slides in the SIMIC session please email Mark Engebretson (engebret at augsburg.edu) Peter Chi (pchi at igpp.ucla.edu) and with a short description of what you would like to present.

More details about SIMIC can be found at:

http://www-ssc.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/FG:_Storm-Time_Inner_Magnetosphere-Ionosphere_Convection

We look forward to lively and productive SIMIC session!

Joseph Baker, Stan Sazykin, Mike Ruohoniemi, Peter Chi, Mark Engebretson

(IMPORTANT: Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

For any other questions, please contact Peter Chi, GEM Communications Coordinator, at <pchi at igpp.ucla.edu>

URL of GEM Home Page:  http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki
Workshop Information:  http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/index.html