[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 27, Number 26

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Sat Jun 10 18:42:51 PDT 2017

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 27, Number 26
Jun.10,2017

Announcement submission website: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/messenger_form/

Table of Contents

1. GEM Workshop 2017: "Magnetic Reconnection in the Magnetosphere" Focus Group Sessions

1. GEM Workshop 2017: "Magnetic Reconnection in the Magnetosphere" Focus Group Sessions
From: Paul Cassak, Andrei Runov, Yi-Hsin Liu, Brian Walsh (Paul.Cassak at mail.wvu.edu)

We are excited to announce plans for the "Magnetic Reconnection in the Magnetosphere" Focus Group sessions at the upcoming GEM Workshop.  This is the final year of this focus group, and we would like to thank everyone who has participated in it.

This year, the reconnection focus group has 5 sessions overall, 3 of which are joint and 2 are solo. The (currently scheduled) dates, times, and summaries for each session are:

Monday 6/19, PM1 and PM2 - 1:30-3:00pm and 3:30-5:00pm (Joint sessions with “Tail Environment and Dynamics at Lunar Distances” and “Magnetotail Dipolarization and Its Effects on the Inner Magnetosphere” focus groups)

These two sessions will focus on the connections between magnetic reconnection, dipolarization events, and plasmoids in Earth’s magnetotail.  Details are described in the GEM Messenger from June 7 and have been posted to the GEM website <http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/FG:_Magnetic_Reconnection_in_the_Magnetosphere>.  Please contact Yi-Hsin Liu <Yi-Hsin.Liu at Dartmouth.edu> or Andrei Runov <arunov at igpp.ucla.edu> with questions.

Tuesday 6/20, PM1 - 1:30-3:00pm (individual session)

This session will be an open forum for discussion of topics about reconnection in the magnetosphere.  It may include discussion from any topic relevant to the focus group as interest dictates.  Please contact Brian Walsh <bwalsh at bu.edu> with questions.

Wednesday 6/21, PM1 - 1:30-3:00pm (individual session)

This session will be a continuation of the open forum from Tuesday.  We also would like to spend some time discussing community interest in proposing a new reconnection focus group.  Discussion on topics for the next group to address are invited, as this is a grass roots effort. Please contact Yi-Hsin Liu <Yi-Hsin.Liu at Dartmouth.edu> with questions.

Thursday 6/22, PM2 - 3:30-5:00pm (Joint session with “Dayside Kinetic Processes in Global Solar Wind - Magnetosphere Interaction” focus group)

This session will focus on discussing the following science topics:  1) Kinetic physics of dayside and/or magnetosheath reconnection - dissipation, energy conversion, particle acceleration, and comparisons between the two regions, 2) Do kinetic bow shock and magnetosheath transients impact magnetopause reconnection?, and 3) Does kinetic physics at the dayside impact the global reconnection process?  Discussion on other topics related to the two focus groups is welcome.

We plan to have most of the time driven by discussion.  Time permitting, we would like community members to pose a science question or challenge that they would like to see other people address (e.g., “is it possible to observe/simulate this feature I’ve simulated/observed?”).  We would also like to have time to brainstorm on open questions.  Please contact Paul Cassak <Paul.Cassak at mail.wvu.edu> or Heli Hietala < heli at igpp.ucla.edu> with questions.

We look forward to seeing you at the sessions!

(IMPORTANT: Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

For any other questions, please contact Peter Chi, GEM Communications Coordinator, at <pchi at igpp.ucla.edu>

URL of GEM Home Page:  http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki
Workshop Information:  http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/index.html