[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 27, Number 18

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Fri May 19 14:54:40 PDT 2017

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 27, Number 18
May.19,2017

Announcement submission website: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/messenger_form/

Table of Contents

1. Call for Applications for GEM Steering Committee Position

2. GEM Workshop 2017: Call for Presentations for the M3-I2 Focus Group Sessions

1. Call for Applications for GEM Steering Committee Position
From: Jacob Bortnik and Paul Cassak (jbortnik at atmos.ucla.edu)

With just over four weeks to go before the GEM summer workshop, we hope that everyone is making their final travel arrangements and putting together their presentations. As you know, the success of the GEM program lies in the dedicated service made by members of the steering committee.  This year we have an opening on the GEM steering committee and invite members of the community to apply for this position.

For a list of the current steering committee and related information, please see the following link on GEM website:

http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/Organization_and_People

The selection of this new position will occur at the steering committee meeting on Sunday night before the meeting begins.  In preparation for this, the steering committee would like to solicit applications, which should consist of a brief statement of interest (about a paragraph), and a two-page CV.  Applications will be accepted until COB June 9th, but for meaningful statements to be collected, it is highly encouraged to submit applications as soon as possible.

To submit a nomination, please send an email to the current steering committee chair and chair-elect, Jacob Bortnik (jbortnik AT atmos.ucla.edu) and Paul Cassak (Paul.Cassak AT mail.wvu.edu)

2. GEM Workshop 2017: Call for Presentations for the M3-I2 Focus Group Sessions
From: Barbara Giles, Shasha Zou, Vince Eccles  (barbara.giles at nasa.gov)

The GEM focus group “Merged Modeling & Measurement of Injection Ionospheric Plasma into the Magentosphere (M3I2) and Its Effects – Plasma Sheet, Ring Current, Substorm Dynamics” will have two sessions at the upcoming GEM Workshop from June 18-23, 2017 in Portsmouth Virginia. The Wednesday AM Session will focus on the ion outflow effects in the magnetosphere and ring current. Merged modeling & measurement (MMS, Van Allen Probes) studies are encouraged. The Thursday AM Session will focus on ion outflow magnitude and structures generated by the ionospheric boundary conditions and the resulting regional magnetosphere effects. Merged modeling & measurement studies are again encouraged. Please email Barbara Giles (barbara.giles at nasa.gov) and Shasha Zou (shashaz at umich.edu) if you would like to contribute to either of these sessions.

(IMPORTANT: Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

URL of GEM Home Page:  http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki
Workshop Information:  http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/index.html