[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 27, Number 57

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Thu Nov 30 16:31:22 PST 2017

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 27, Number 57
Nov.30,2017

Announcement submission website: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/messenger_form/

Table of Contents

1. GEMstone Volume 27 Number 3 Available Online

2. 2017 Mini GEM Joint Session Magnetotail Dipolarizations and Substorms

3. 2017 Mini-GEM Session: Dayside Kinetic Processes in Global Solar Wind-Magnetosphere Interaction

4. 2017 Mini-GEM Sessions: Modeling Methods and Validation Focus Group joint with CCMC/LWS Tracking Progress Working Group

5. AGU Fall Meeting SM31C: Bringing Space Down to Earth: Space Physics in the Laboratory, Wednesday, 13 DEC 2017, 8:00-10:00am, Room R02-R03

6. NASA Living With a Star Institute - Call for Proposals

7. JOB OPENING: NASA GSFC Civil Servant Position in Geospace Physics

1. GEMstone Volume 27 Number 3 Available Online
From: Peter Chi (pchi at igpp.ucla.edu)

A new issue of the GEMstone Newsletter (Volume 27, Number 3) is available online at:

http://spc.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/GEMstone/GEMstone_Vol27_No3.pdf

Contents include:
- Notes from NSF Program Director
- Notes from GEM Chair
- Solar Wind-Magnetosphere Interaction Research Area Report
  + Dayside Kinetic Processes Focus Group
  + Lunar Distances Focus Group
- Magnetotail and Plasma Sheet RA Report
  + Testing Proposed Links Focus Group
  + Magnetotail Dipolarization Focus Group
- Inner Magnetosphere Research Area Report
  + SIMIC Focus Group
  + IMCEPI Focus Group
  + QARBM Focus Group
- Magnetosphere-Ionosphere Coupling Research Area Report
  + M3-I2 Focus Group
  + 3D Ionospheric Electrodynamics Focus Group
- Global System Modeling Research Area Report
  + Modeling Methods & Validation Focus Group
  + Magnetic Reconnection Focus Group
  + UMEA Focus Group
  + Geospace System Science Focus Group
- Workshop Coordinator Report
- Student Representative Report
- GEM Steering Committee
- List of GEM Focus Groups

Past issues of the GEMstone Newsletter are archived at the GemWiki at http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/Newsletters.

2. 2017 Mini GEM Joint Session Magnetotail Dipolarizations and Substorms
From: Toshi Nishimura, Kyle Murphy, Emma Spanswick, Jian Yang ,Christine Gabrielse, Matina Gkioulidou, Slava Merkin, Drew Turner, David Malaspina (kyle.r.murphy at nasa.gov)

The “Magnetotail Dipolarization and Its Effects on the Inner Magnetosphere” and “Testing Proposed Links between Mesoscale Auroral and Polar Cap Dynamics and Substorms” Focus Groups are hosting a joint session at Mini GEM on December 10, 2017. The joint session will be held in the Azalea conference room from 12:00-13:30 at the Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans. The focus of the session is comparing and contrasting the effects of storm-time substorms, isolated substorms, and steady magnetospheric convection (SMC) on the inner magnetosphere. This includes, for instance, the intensity and depth of injections, auroral activations, wave activity, and the effect on the outer radiation belt. A set of “challenge” events will be introduced to solicit community participation in the analysis of observational data and global modelling of these “challenge” events leading up to GEM 2018. We also invite the community to submit short studies or additional “challenge” events on storm-time substorms, isolated substorms, and SMCs by emailing Kyle Murphy at kyle.r.murphy at NASA.gov.

3. 2017 Mini-GEM Session: Dayside Kinetic Processes in Global Solar Wind-Magnetosphere Interaction