[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 28, Number 36

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Tue Aug 7 19:51:08 PDT 2018

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 28, Number 36
Aug.07,2018

Announcement submission website: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/messenger_form/

Table of Contents

1. GEM Inner Magnetosphere Cross-Energy/Population Interactions (IMCEPI) Focus Group: 2018 Workshop Report

1. GEM Inner Magnetosphere Cross-Energy/Population Interactions (IMCEPI) Focus Group: 2018 Workshop Report
From: Yiqun Yu, Colby Lemon, and Mike Liemohn (yiqunyu17 at gmail.com)

In this last year of our IMCEPI FG, we organized two focused sessions with 14 individual presentations and one session with a panel discussion. All sessions were well attended and went through with thorough discussions. The goal of our FG is to bring together researchers to address the broad questions of interest to the Inner Magnetosphere Research Area: the coupling processes across different inner magnetosphere populations and M/I systems. The two breakout sessions focused on (1) the coupling between the inner magnetosphere and the ionospheric electrodynamics and (2) plasma wave dynamics and coupling with inner magnetosphere populations. The panel session aimed to discuss about the remaining problems in the inner magnetosphere and ways to move forward.

(1) Topic 1: on the coupling between the inner magnetosphere and the ionospheric electrodynamics

We had 6 speakers presenting recent observational and modeling advances on the ionosphere-magnetosphere coupling, including the FACs and auroral physics, and their magnetospheric sources. In specific, Harneet Sangha presented bifurcated R2 field-aligned currents in the subauroral region and their statistical distributions over MLTs, invoking plenty of discussion on its relationship to SAPS. Bea Gallardo-Lacourt reported the new auroral phenomena “STEVE”—an optical structure in the subauroral region, its relation with flows/density/temperature in the ionosphere, its relation with substorm timing, its occurrence dependence on the season and solar activity, and its relative location to aurora. The STEVE remains a mystery in terms of its origin because it is found that it may be not originated from particle precipitations as the normal aurora. Nithin Sivadas presented PFISR and THEMIS observations of energetic electron precipitation, including the contribution of 10-100 keV electrons to the total energy during different substorm phases and the effects on the D-region ionosphere. Yiqun Yu talked about a self-consistent modeling effort on solving the effects of energetic electron precipitation during substorms on the low-altitude ionosphere, i.e., an extra layer of Pedersen conductivity is formed around 85 km. Chia-lin Huang reported the impact of MeV electron precipitation on the thermosphere, particularly the relativistic electrons can cause ozone loss.

(2) Topic 2: wave and plasma dynamics

We also focused on plasma waves in the inner magnetosphere and their impact on the plasmasphere/ring current/radiation belts.  We had 7 speakers presenting various plasma waves in the magnetosphere and their effects in the magnetospheric particle dynamics. Mykhaylo Shumko presented evidence of microburst observed by Van Allen probes and assessed with wave-particle diffusion theory. Run Shi reported the properties and generation mechanisms of the hiss waves inside plasmasphere and plume and categorized in detail into different types of waves. Qianli Ma presented the role of EMIC waves in heating different ion populations. Sam Bingham statistically studied the chorus wave power during CIR and CME storms. Poorya Hosseini introduced non-linear wave-particle interactions at radiation belts based on ground observations.

In addition, we had 3 speakers focusing on the dynamics of inner magnetosphere populations. For example, Xiangning Chu presented a newly established neural network model: inner magnetosphere plasmasphere model DEN3D. Chao Yue quantitatively assessed the contribution of oxygen ions in the ring current pressure with Van Allen Probes. Cristian Ferradas compared the effects of different electron loss models in resolving the ring current electron dynamics during one GEM challenge event June 1, 2013. All of these studies led us to better understand the source and loss processes in the magnetosphere.

(3) Panel discussion/Summary of FG

In the last session, our FG summarized the GEM challenge: spacecraft surface charging during March 17, 2013 event. This challenge was conducted via community-wide participation, including global modeling teams, CCMC, and Van Allen Probes teams. The initial results were presented and drafted to submit to the Space Weather Journal.

Later, an invited panel discussion was led by Vania Jordanova, Yihua Zheng, George Khazanov, and Mike Liemohn, each of who shared their thoughts and suggestions for the future inner magnetosphere research. Together with valuable inputs from the audience, we discussed some of the remaining open questions as follows:

• The effects of various processes (magnetotail injections, plasma waves, plasmasheet scattering, feedback of ionosphere-thermosphere system) on the inner magnetosphere populations,
• The missing part in the plasmasphere (e.g., reflected secondary electrons),
• How to fulfill the desire of comprehensive models that self-consistently tie the inner magnetosphere to other regions.

Methodologies were also discussed for future research, such as data assimilation/machine learning as a highly valuable method for future scientific research, low-cost small-sat technology as an affordable means for everyone, as well as the increasing advantage of computational power for global models. The session was finally concluded with a promising direction that is full of continuous exploration and collaboration.

We greatly appreciate the support and contribution from the inner magnetosphere community in the past FIVE years, who made our FG part of GEM!

(IMPORTANT: Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

For any other questions, please contact Peter Chi, GEM Communications Coordinator, at <pchi at igpp.ucla.edu>

URL of GEM Home Page:  http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki
Workshop Information:  http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/index.html