[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 28, Number 23

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Mon Jun 4 17:00:30 PDT 2018

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 28, Number 23
Jun.04,2018

Announcement submission website: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/messenger_form/

Table of Contents

1. GEM 2018 Summer Workshop: Modeling Methods and Validation Session Call for Participation

2. GEM 2018 Summer Workshop: Conductance Challenge Session Call for Participation

3. NASA - Second Call for Community Input to LWS TR&T Focused Science Topics

1. GEM 2018 Summer Workshop: Modeling Methods and Validation Session Call for Participation
From: Katherine Garcia-Sage, Lutz Rastaetter, Mike Liemohn, and Rob Redmon (katherine.garcia-sage at nasa.gov)

At the GEM Workshop on Wednesday at 1pm, we will have presentations and discussion of modeling methods and validation efforts in our community. We welcome all talks, either on specific validation studies or on more general modeling tools, metrics, and validation frameworks. Please email katherine.garcia-sage at nasa.gov if you would like to participate.

Thank you,
Modeling Methods and Validation Co-Chairs
Katie, Lutz, Mike, and Rob

2. GEM 2018 Summer Workshop: Conductance Challenge Session Call for Participation
From: Katherine Garcia-Sage, Lutz Rastaetter, Mike Liemohn, and Rob Redmon (katherine.garcia-sage at nasa.gov)

Please join us for a discussion of the Modeling Methods and Validation (MMV) conductance challenge at the GEM Workshop on Thursday at 3:30.

The challenge events are:

#1 2016 Oct 13-15
#2 2013 March 17

With added bonus storms (selected by the CCMC Space Weather Capabilities Assessment team):
2015 Jun 21-24
2012 March 9

We are soliciting talks on M-I coupling and conductivity-related parameters and effects for all of these events, with a particular focus on the first 2. If we have time, we may also welcome more general conductivity talks, but the focus here will be the challenge events and model-data comparison. Please email katherine.garcia-sage at nasa.gov if there’s anything you would like to present.

Additionally, we will soon host a webpage on CCMC for conductivity-related data and modeling of these events. Please let us know if you have any results that you’re interested in making available for comparison.

Thank you,
MMV Co-Chairs
Katie, Lutz, Mike, and Rob

3. NASA - Second Call for Community Input to LWS TR&T Focused Science Topics
From: Mark Linton (mark.linton at nrl.navy.mil)

The 2018 NASA Living with a Star Targeted Research and Technology (LWS TR&T) Program Analysis Group (LPAG https://lwstrt.gsfc.nasa.gov/lpag) executive committee (EC) will soon begin developing the next round of LWS focused science topics for ROSES 2019 and beyond. It is vital for the success of the LWS TR&T program that there be active community engagement in the development of annual TR&T science topics. We are therefore asking the Heliophysics community to provide input by July 2, 2018 for these topics.

Suggested science topics should be organized around achieving the goals set out in the strategic science areas (SSA’s) articulated in the LWS Ten Year Vision:
https://lwstrt.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/pdf/LWS_10YrVision_Oct2015_Final.pdf

Physics-based Understanding to Enable Forecasting of:
• SSA-0, Solar Electromagnetic, Energetic Particle, and Plasma Outputs Driving the Solar System Environment and Inputs to Earth’s Atmosphere (note, Sun-Climate topics fall under SSA-0)
• SSA-1, Geomagnetic Variability
• SSA-2, Satellite Drag
• SSA-3, Solar Energetic Particle
• SSA-4, Total Electron Content
• SSA-5, Ionospheric Scintillation
• SSA-6, Radiation Environment

Input may be entered through the LWS TR&T website at: https://lwstrt.gsfc.nasa.gov/input/
To view and comment on input which has been submitted in response to this call, please go to: https://lwstrt.gsfc.nasa.gov/viewinput/2018/

To view the topics which were developed from community input by the previous TR&T committee in 2016, see the final report of that committee at:
https://lwstrt.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/pdf/LWSTRT-Report-2016-Final.pdf
And the original community input and comments at: https://lwstrt.gsfc.nasa.gov/viewinput/2016/
Any topics in this 2016 report which were not selected by NASA for the ROSES 2017 TR&T call, or which are not selected by NASA for the upcoming ROSES 2018 TR&T call will be reviewed by the LPAG EC. Community input regarding updates to those topics is welcome.

We greatly look forward to your input and to continuing on the path of innovation and scientific exploration in the LWS program.

LPAG Executive Committee Members: Anthea Coster (Co-Chair), Mark Linton (Co-Chair), Joe Borovsky, Richard Collins, Seebany Datta-Barua, Matina Gkioulidou, Fan Guo, Jorg-Micha Jahn, Enrico Landi, John Leibacher, Sabrina Savage, Brian Walsh

LPAG Ex Officio Members: Jeff Morrill, Janet Kozyra, Shing Fung

(IMPORTANT: Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

For any other questions, please contact Peter Chi, GEM Communications Coordinator, at <pchi at igpp.ucla.edu>

URL of GEM Home Page:  http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki
Workshop Information:  http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/index.html