[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 28, Number 9

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Tue Mar 13 15:53:06 PDT 2018

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 28, Number 9
Mar.13,2018

Announcement submission website: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/messenger_form/

Table of Contents

1. GEM Summer Workshop Announcements

From: Jacob Bortnik on behalf of the GEM Steering Committee (jbortnik at gmail.com)

The GEM summer workshop is now only 3 months away and will be held at the El Dorado hotel in Santa Fe, NM over the week of 17-23 June 2018.  As you start planning your trip, please take note of the following items:

1.  Registration and housing: the registration website is now open and available at http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/registration.html. Please note that the deadline for early registration is May 14, 2018, and online registration closes on June 8, 2018.  Housing for the GEM meeting is available at the El Dorado Hotel, and information is given on the meeting website: http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/travel.html.  Please do register and secure your accommodation at your earliest convenience.

2.  CEDAR/GEM workshop: The GEM meeting this year is coordinated with the CEDAR meeting such that the two meetings occur on successive weeks (GEM: 17-23 June; CEDAR: 24-29 June), with a CEDAR/GEM workshop planned for Saturday June 23, 2018.  There is no additional cost for the CEDAR/GEM workshop but you will need to indicate your attendance of this event during registration for planning purposes.   Please consider attending this unique event and do bear it in mind during your planning.

3.  Workshop style: I would like to thank the GEM community for actively responding to the poll sent out last year. We received many excellent suggestions to ensure that we are continually growing and improving in the right direction.  Overwhelmingly, our community indicated that it is the informal workshop style and ability to debate and discuss topical issues with colleagues that makes the workshop so unique and valuable.  In response, we are actively building workshop elements into our planning, and encouraging discussion-oriented sessions in Focus Group.  More information will follow, please watch this space!

4.  Website, announcements, documents:  Please note that the GEM website (http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/Main_Page) is frequently updated and serves as an important channel for communicating the activities and actions of the Steering Committee.  Recent documents include the December 2017 mini-GEM Steering Committee minutes, the GEM best-practices document, and the GEM anti-harassment policy.

If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to reach out to me (J. Bortnik: jbortnik AT atmos.ucla.edu), the vice-chair (P. Cassak: Paul.Cassak AT mail.wvu.edu), or the meeting organizers (Z. Xu: zxu77 AT vt.edu).

We look forward to seeing you all in Santa Fe in June!

(IMPORTANT: Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

For any other questions, please contact Peter Chi, GEM Communications Coordinator, at <pchi at igpp.ucla.edu>

URL of GEM Home Page:  http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki
Workshop Information:  http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/index.html