[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 28, Number 47

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 9 17:07:27 PDT 2018

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 28, Number 47
Oct.09,2018

Announcement submission website: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/messenger_form/

Table of Contents

1. An AGU Session on Friday Afternoon to Not Miss: Challenges of Recognizing Implicit Bias in the Earth and Space Sciences

2. Graduate Studies in Physics and Astronomy at the Dartmouth College

3. Open Positions - Space Plasma Group (U. Colorado / LASP)

From: Alexa Halford, Hazel Bain, Blair Schneider (Alexa.J.Halford at aero.org)

AGU 2018 Fall Meeting – Union Session U53A on Implicit Bias in Earth and Space Sciences

We would like to draw your attention to an AGU Union session on implicit bias in Earth and Space Sciences which will take place at the upcoming Fall meeting in Washington DC, on Friday the 14th of December 2018 from 1:40-3:40 pm.We understand that many are unable to attend Friday afternoon sessions, but hope that those who can will join us for this important discussion.

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/preliminaryview.cgi/Session50265

Title: The Challenges of Recognizing Implicit Bias in Earth and Space Sciences and Strategies for Minimizing its Impact in the Coming Decades of the AGU

Session ID#: 50265
Session Description:

We invite AGU members for a panel session on implicit bias. Implicit bias refers to attitudes that affect our decisions and evaluations without our consciously realizing it. Implicit biases are an inherent part of the human brain. Although the value and importance of diversity in science is beyond dispute, implicit bias adversely influences proposal/journal reviews, how recommendation letters are written, who is invited to professional talks/panels, and who is heard during conference discussions. Implicit bias affects hiring decisions, who is nominated for and receives awards and funding, and who is promoted and encouraged in STEM. This session will address how implicit decision-making occurs, and how we can reduce its impact through awareness. An expert panel will present an overview of the research and impacts; describe resources and positive actions our community can take to reduce the impact of implicit bias. Time will be allocated for audience discussion and questions.

Conveners:
Hazel M Bain, University of Colorado at Boulder
Alexa Jean Halford, Aerospace Corporation Chantilly
Blair Schneider, University of Kansas

The full session description and abstract listing can be found here https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/meetingapp.cgi/Session/50265

For those unable to attend, the session will be available “On Demand” with a recording available online within days, after the session at https://www.youtube.com/user/AGUvideos

2. Graduate Studies in Physics and Astronomy at the Dartmouth College
From: Yi-Hsin Liu (Yi-Hsin.Liu at dartmouth.edu)

The Department of Physics and Astronomy at the Dartmouth College seeks prospective graduate students interested in pursuing research in space physics, plasma physics, and plasma astrophysics. Successful candidates will enter the program in Fall 2019. The deadline for application is January 15, 2019; Fellowships and Research assistantships are available. Prospective students should apply at https://physics.dartmouth.edu/graduate/apply.

The plasma and space physics research group at Dartmouth (https://physics.dartmouth.edu/research/plasma-and-space-physics) covers broad research interests including the theory and modeling of fundamental plasma physics (e.g., magnetic reconnection, turbulence, instabilities, particle acceleration) in laboratory, space and astrophysical systems; sounding rocket, balloon, CubeSat missions and ground-based experiments that study the aurora, Earth’s radiation belts and the ionosphere; and global modeling of Earth’s magnetosphere and the Sun’s heliosphere. We are involved in existing NASA spacecraft missions, including Magnetospheric Multiscale Mission (MMS), Van Allen Probes, and many sounding rocket and balloon studies.

Questions about the program and application process should be directed to Prof. Yi-Hsin Liu (Yi-Hsin.Liu at Dartmouth.edu). We encourage students to consider joining our small, close-knit department. Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We kindly request educators and researchers to distribute this announcement to possible candidates.

3. Open Positions - Space Plasma Group (U. Colorado / LASP)
From: David Malaspina (David.Malaspina at lasp.colorado.edu)

The Space Plasma Group at the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP), University of Colorado, Boulder (CU), is seeking to fill at least two research positions.  Applicants at the level of RS-I (post-doctoral), RS-II (research scientist), or RS-III (senior research scientist) will be considered.

Research duties include conducting studies of plasma physics phenomena using MAVEN data (Martian solar wind / ionosphere interactions), Parker Solar Probe data (near-Sun solar wind), and/or MMS data (magnetic reconnection in the Earth’s magnetosphere).  The focus of these studies will be utilizing spacecraft fields and particle data to understand physical phenomena.

The CU/LASP Space Plasma Group conducts a diverse research program encompassing data analysis, simulation, and theoretical studies of space plasma physics in a variety of environments, including planetary magnetospheres and ionospheres as well as the solar wind. The group maintains a robust space instrumentation program.

Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters, Unofficial transcript(s).  The cover letter should indicate which project the applicant is applying to work with and outline the contributions that the applicant envisions making to that project.

For more information, please contact: David.Malaspina at lasp.colorado.edu

Detailed instructions for submitting an application are here:

https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/?jobId=13535

(IMPORTANT: Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

For any other questions, please contact Peter Chi, GEM Communications Coordinator, at <pchi at igpp.ucla.edu>

URL of GEM Home Page:  http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki
Workshop Information:  http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/index.html