[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 29, Number 31

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Thu Aug 29 18:16:08 PDT 2019

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 29, Number 31
Aug.29,2019

Announcement submission website:
https://gem.epss.ucla.edu/mediawiki/messenger_form/

Table of Contents

1. A Few Brief Messages from the GEM Steering Committee

2. August GEM Blog Entries

3. Mini-GEM - Save the Date

1. A Few Brief Messages from the GEM Steering Committee
From: Paul Cassak (Paul.Cassak at mail.wvu.edu)

A few brief messages from the GEM Steering Committee:

(1) The GEM Steering Committee held a virtual meeting on Aug. 23 to address a number of timely issues.  The meeting minutes have been posted on the GEM Wiki at https://gem.epss.ucla.edu/mediawiki/index.php/Other_Documents_and_Reports.

(2) One item addressed at the SC meeting was to fill the At-Large SC Member position opened up when Vania Jordanova became GEM Vice-Chair.  It is my pleasure to announce that Lynn Kistler from University of New Hampshire has been selected.  Please join me in welcoming Lynn to the GEM SC!

(3) Another item addressed in the SC meeting pertained to focus groups (FGs), and there are a couple of important announcements. First, for the FG proposals, we tried to be more transparent about considerations used by the SC to choose FGs. We also decided to not allow graduate students to serve as co-chairs of FGs.  Finally, we decreased the maximum term of new FGs from 5 years to 4 years, with the ability to request an additional year if it is deemed necessary by the co-chairs. Information on these changes will be made to the GEM Wiki in the near future.  Stay tuned for some other new ideas that we hope will spice up the FGs a bit!

As always, please contact me if you have concerns, questions or suggestions!

2. August GEM Blog Entries
From: Paul Cassak (Paul.Cassak at mail.wvu.edu)

Here are links to August’s GEM Blog entries:

Aug. 5: Underrepresented Lunch at 2019 GEM Workshop
https://gemchairschat.home.blog/2019/08/05/underrepresented-lunch-at-2019-gem-workshop/

Aug. 12: Extra GEM Steering Committee Meeting
https://gemchairschat.home.blog/2019/08/12/extra-gem-steering-committee-meeting/

Aug. 26: Extra GEM Steering Committee Meeting Results
https://gemchairschat.home.blog/2019/08/26/extra-gem-steering-committee-meeting-results/

Main Website:   https://gemchairschat.home.blog/

3. Mini-GEM - Save the Date
From: Paul Cassak (Paul.Cassak at mail.wvu.edu)

You have undoubtedly gotten an email from AGU that registration and housing are now available for the Fall AGU meeting. This is a great time to remind you about the Mini-GEM meeting taking place the Sunday before AGU, December 8, 2019, from 12-5pm. Please remember this as you are considering your travel and hotel registration plans. Information about the Mini-GEM location and other logistics will be forthcoming. Please share this information with any students on the listserv, and contact me with any questions.

(IMPORTANT: Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

For any other questions, please contact Peter Chi, Editor of the GEM Messenger, at <pchi at igpp.ucla.edu>.

GemWiki website:  https://gem.epss.ucla.edu/
Workshop Coordinator website:  https://gemworkshop.org/