[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXII, Issue 49

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Sun Aug 23 07:52:32 PDT 2015

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXII, Issue 49
August 23, 2015

Editor: Peter Chi
Co-Editor: Guan Le
Distribution Support: Sharon Uy, Todd King, Kevin Addison
Email: editor at igpp.ucla.edu

Table of Contents

1. Anatoly P. Remizov: 1940-2015

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Anatoly P. Remizov: 1940-2015

From: Mikhail Verigin (verigin at iki.rssi.ru) and Galina Kotova (kotova at iki.rssi.ru)

Anatoly P. Remizov, senior researcher at the Laboratory for Interplanetary and Near-Planetary Plasma Studies of Space Plasma Physics Department of Space Research Institute of Russian Academy of Sciences (IKI RAS), suddenly passed away on August 7, 2015 in Moscow.

Anatoly (Tolya) Remizov joined this team led by K.I. Gringauz in 1960 when he was a student of the Moscow Physical-Technical Institute. After graduation in 1963 he was hired by the Radio-Technical Institute of the USSR Academy of Sciences (RTI), and in 1971 - together with the team was conveyed to IKI.

His first experiment for the measurements of superthermal electrons by multisection electrostatic analyzer on the satellite СOSMOS–378 was prepared in 1970 in RTI and thus the first studies of the outer ionosphere of the Earth in the daytime cusp were carried out.

Beginning from 1971 the satellites Mars 2, 3, 5 were launched to the planet Mars. The plasma experiments prepared with the participation of Anatoly led to the discovery of the Martian magnetosphere. The positions of various plasma boundaries and regions in the near-Martian space such as the bow shock, the magnetosheath, the magnetopause, the boundary layer and areomagnetic tail were firmly established after the experiments on Mars 2, 3, 5. All these structures were found later in the more advanced experiments on the Phobos-2 Martian orbiter (1989) also prepared with the active participation of A. Remizov.

The unique talent of experimenter allowed Tolya Remizov creating a series of original instruments for space plasma studies. These are the toroidal electrostatic analyzer of ions with field of view controlled by an electric field (Prognoz 7, 1978), electrostatic analyzers which unusually combine large energy resolution with wide field of view (Vega 1, 2, 1986, experiment PLAZMAG). The first in situ measurements of cometary neutral gas and the first direct measurements of the mass composition of the cometary plasma were completed with the PLAZMAG experiment. Also the solar wind deceleration due to its loading by the cometary ions was found. Besides, this experiment discovered a theoretically unforeseen boundary – cometopause.

Tolya was a well-known and acknowledged expert in his field. His last, essential and very successful work was the construction of the extremely light charged particle sensors on the Philae lander of Rosetta mission. He was able to see the fruits of his labor during the Philae landing, and was very happy that his instrument has been working well and contributed to the first science results reported from the surface of a cometary body. The Rosetta team promised to do their best to finish his work by publishing the scientific data achieved by these measurements.

With Tolya Remizov we lost a never-ceasing and creative man of action. We mourn an esteemed colleague and friend. If we remember Tolya, only positive and funny thinks come in our mind. We shall never forget his seriousness, diligence and thoroughness during working but absence of reserve and good humor in his private life.

RIP

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately twice weekly. Back issues are available at

http://spa.agu.org/category/newsletters/

To request announcements or subscribe to the newsletter, please e-mail the Editor at (editor at igpp.ucla.edu).

An announcement request should contain the following information:
1. Title
2. Author name(s) and an e-mail address for contact purposes
3. Announcement text in the plain text format and preferably within 400 words

SPA Web Site: http://spa.agu.org/