[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXIII, Issue 31

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Sun Jun 19 21:10:00 PDT 2016

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXIII, Issue 31
Jun.20,2016

Editor: Peter Chi
Co-Editor: Guan Le
Distribution Support: Sharon Uy, Marjorie Sowmendran, Todd King, Kevin Addison
E-mail: editor at igpp.ucla.edu

Table of Contents

1. MEETING: Space Weather: Operations to Research (O2R) Workshop – August 16-17, 2016

2. MEETING: SDO 2016: Unraveling the Sun's Complexity, Oct. 17-21, 2016 , Burlington, VT

3. SESSION: SPEDAS sessions at GEM

4. SESSION: Joint GEM-CEDAR Session - Crowd to Cloud: Exploiting Crowd-Sourced Data for Geospace Science

5. BOOK: New Space Weather Book

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

MEETING: Space Weather: Operations to Research (O2R) Workshop – August 16-17, 2016

From: Howard J. Singer (howard.singer at noaa.gov)

NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center and our partner agencies, the U.S. Air Force, NASA Heliophysics Division, and NSF Geospace Section invite you to attend a “Space Weather: Operations to Research (O2R) Workshop” in Boulder, CO on August 16-17, 2016.

The goal of this workshop is to gather community input for defining the capabilities needed to realize space weather O2R objectives in response to the National Space Weather Action Plan. The meeting will facilitate discussions on O2R within the broad community, including government agencies, academia, private enterprise, and space weather customers.

Panel/audience discussion will be on topics related to methods to improve operational models, tools and products including: access to operational models and data for developing and testing improvements funding opportunities to support these activities and communicating forecaster and user experience regarding the limitations of current capabilities.

Please go to the following link for registration and additional information:

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/content/o2r-workshop

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

MEETING: SDO 2016: Unraveling the Sun's Complexity, Oct. 17-21, 2016 , Burlington, VT

From: Vanessa George (Vanessa.George at lasp.colorado.edu)

SDO 2016:  Unraveling the Sun's Complexity
Oct. 17-21, 2016   *   Burlington, VT
Website:  http://SDO2016.lws-sdo-workshops.org

Living With a Star's Solar Dynamics Observatory invites you to its 2016 Science Workshop "SDO 2016: Unraveling the Sun's Complexity."  One of the defining characteristics of past SDO Meetings are the excellent mini-workshops.  On Friday, Oct. 21, we have 8 workshops planned.  Join us for one or more!  They are:

1) Magnetic Data Calibration: Vector Field Working Group, 2) Solar Cycle Prediction Retrospective, 3) EUV Irradiance Calibration and Data Inter-Comparisons, 4-5) Thermal Diagnostics with SDO/AIA (Part I - II), 6) Image Processing and SunPy: Bridging from IDL to Python, 7) Image Processing and SunPy: Solar Data Processing with Python, and 8) Local Helioseismology Working Group.

SDO 2016 Important Due Dates:
.  Metcalf Travel Award Applications:  ** June 15 **
.  Abstracts:  July 15
.  Early Registration & Hotel Reservation:  September 16

All members of the science community are welcome to SDO 2016.  With a great science program and Vermont's beautiful fall foliage in mid-October, we hope you make plans to join us.  Submit your abstract today!

Sincerely,
The Scientific Organizing Committee for SDO 2016:
W. Dean Pesnell (chair), Charles Baldner, Mark Cheung, Frank Eparvier, Meng Jin, Aimee Norton, and Barbara Thompson

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

SESSION: SPEDAS sessions at GEM

From: Vassilis Angelopoulos, Jim Lewis (jwl at ssl.berkeley.edu)

The SPEDAS team will be holding two sessions at the upcoming GEM meeting in Santa Fe, NM, on Friday June 24.

At 1:30 PM, we'll hold a tutorial session for the newly released MMS plugin to SPEDAS, showing how to use the GUI and command-line tools
to load, process, and plot MMS data.

At 3:30 PM, we'll have another workshop showing off some of the other capabilities of the recent SPEDAS 2.00 release,  including recent updates
to the plugins for THEMIS and some other missions,  and our road map for future development of the SPEDAS framework, plugins, and other online
resources.

We expect to have some time for Q&A, installation, and troubleshooting help, after the formal agenda for each session.

Both sessions are scheduled in the SFCC Coronado/DeVargas room.

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

SESSION: Joint GEM-CEDAR Session - Crowd to Cloud: Exploiting Crowd-Sourced Data for Geospace Science

From: Elizabeth A. MacDonald (elizabeth.a.macdonald at nasa.gov)

Dear Colleagues-

We encourage your participation at the GEM-CEDAR meeting in the Cloud to Crowd session. This session will be held on Tuesday from 13:30-15:30 in Sweeney D.  The purpose of this session is discuss non-traditional sources of data that can leveraged for geospace investigations.  We are still soliciting
short presentations that will help to bring out vigorous discussion of these data sources and analysis techniques.

A variety of open-source crowd-sourced data exist that may provide potentially useful geophysical information with higher temporal and
spatial coverage than traditional observations, yet these sources remain relatively uninvestigated. Crowd-sourced data are defined loosely as any source of data that could be made available to our community from the "crowd" in the virtual ³cloud², for example, feeds from social media, amateur radio spotting networks, citizen scientist supported sensors, mobile telephone apps, or repurposed satellite housekeeping data, to name a few possibilities. TEC derived from GPS satellites and the AMPERE specification of field aligned currents from engineering grade magnetometers are two quintessential examples of leveraging a non-traditional data source to generate scientific quality data and breakthrough scientific discovery. Recently, the Aurorasaurus citizen science project has used crowd-sourcing to collect scientifically useful observations of aurora, over global scales and in real-time, for the purposes of improved understanding and modeling.

The aim of this session is to discuss various open sources of data, and which scientific questions these could address. Since these data may be
non-traditional, this session is also designed to investigate techniques that can be used to analyze these data to produce physically relevant
quantities. This topic is in alignment with the 2016 NSF Agency Priority Goal (APG) on Public Participation in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Research (PPSR).

We look forward to seeing you on Tuesday afternoon!

Conveners:
Ethan Miller: Ethan.Miller at jhuapl.edu
Liz MacDonald: elizabeth.a.macdonald at nasa.gov
Nathaniel Frissell: frissell at vt.edu
Steve Kaeppler: stephen.kaeppler at sri.com

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

BOOK: New Space Weather Book

From: George Khazanov (George.V.Khazanov at nasa.gov)

New book on Space Weather is coming soon. Please see link below for more information.

 https://www.crcpress.com/Space-Weather-Fundamentals/Khazanov/p/book/9781498749077

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately twice weekly. Back issues are available at:

http://spa.agu.org/category/newsletters/

NEW: To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

NEW: To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(IMPORTANT: Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

Note: Announcements for SPA-related sessions at major conferences, such as AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, and IAGA Meetings, are distributed in special issues of the Newsletter.

SPA Web Site: http://spa.agu.org/