[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXIV, Issue 5

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Fri Jan 20 09:30:24 PST 2017

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXIV, Issue 5
Jan.20,2017

Editor: Peter Chi
Co-Editor: Guan Le
Distribution Support: Sharon Uy, Marjorie Sowmendran, Todd King, Kevin Addison
E-mail: editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

Table of Contents

1. Monday Science Telecon, January 23, 2017

2. January Highlights in Solar Radio Physics

3. Graduate Research Opportunities

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Monday Science Telecon, January 23, 2017

From: David Sibeck (david.g.sibeck at nasa.gov)

At 12:00 noon EST on Monday (January 23), we plan to hold the next in our ongoing series of science telecons. The speaker this Monday will be Meng Zhou from UCLA. The topic will be "Observation of high-frequency electrostatic waves in the vicinity of the reconnection ion diffusion region by the spacecraft of the Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) mission."

The telecom will be broadcast live via webex. If you would like to join, please
go to http://uclaigpp.webex.com/, search for the ‘Dayside Science' meeting, enter your name and contact information, and then the meeting password, which is Substorm1!

To hear the audio, do not dial the number that pops up on the webex website. Instead, please dial the following toll free (in the United States) number:
1-844-467-6272
with passcode 901533

Please remember to mute your telephone if you are not speaking.

Looking forward to speaking with you.

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

January Highlights in Solar Radio Physics

From: Eduard Kontar (eduard at astro.gla.ac.uk)

Simultaneous near-Sun observations of a moving type IV radio burst and the associated white-light CME
by K. Hariharan et al.*
http://cesra.net/?p=1169

Observation of quasi-periodic solar radio bursts associated with propagating fast-mode waves
by C. R. Goddard et al.*
http://cesra.net/?p=1159

The Highlight of Solar Radio Physics aka CESRA Nugget are short communications based on peer-reviewed research published bi-weekly. The highlights are written in the language accessible to a non-expert in the specific area and are designed to keep broader solar-heliospheric community informed and up-to-date.
The highlights can be followed, commented, discussed etc at
http://twitter.com/CESRA_community/
http://www.facebook.com/solarcesra/

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

Graduate Research Opportunities

From: Jacob Heerikhuisen, Gary Zank (jacob.heerikhuisen at uah.edu)

The Department of Space Science at the University of Alabama in Huntsville is accepting applications to its MS and PhD programs for the Fall 2017 semester. We have a number of GRA fellowships to award incoming students, which provide tuition and a competitive stipend, and allow motivated students to begin working on a research project from the day they arrive on campus. We are a small research-focused department that aims to produce proficient and self-reliant scientists through our MS and PhD programs. Students have the opportunity to not only work with our world-renowned faculty, but also with adjunct faculty from the Center for Space Plasma and Aeronomic Research and NASA’s Marshal Space Flight Center. Scientists from both centers share office space on the UAH campus with faculty from the department. Our research projects cover topics including: the Sun, solar atmosphere, inner heliosphere and space weather, the solar wind and its interaction with the interstellar medium, solar energetic particles and cosmic rays, high energy astrophysics. Our students graduate with a broad range of professional scientific skills including: analytic methods for solving physics problems, computational physics, data analysis, presentation of scientific ideas in both written and oral formats. UAH is an anchor tenant of the second largest research park in the country, in a city with a rich history of space science that dates back to Wernher von Braun and the birth of the US space program.

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately twice weekly. Back issues are available at:

http://spa.agu.org/category/newsletters/

NEW: To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

NEW: To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(IMPORTANT: Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

Note: Announcements for SPA-related sessions at major conferences, such as AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, and IAGA Meetings, are distributed in special issues of the Newsletter.

SPA Web Site: http://spa.agu.org/