[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXVI, Issue 23

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Tue Apr 2 19:25:25 PDT 2019

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXVI, Issue 23
Apr.02,2019

Table of Contents

1. HGIO in ROSES 19 Updated

2. MEETING: VarSITI Closing Symposium, June 10-14, 2019 - Deadline Extension to April 5, 2019

3. MEETING: Beacon Satellite Symposium 2019, August 19-23, 2019

4. Monday Science Telecon, April 8

5. Town Hall at the University of Colorado on April 15, 2019 for the NAS Plasma 2020 Decadal Assessment of Plasma Science

6. SESSION: SHINE Conference Session "Pickup Ions in the Heliosphere and Beyond"

7. JOB OPENING: Space Physics Post-Doc Opportunity at the University of Michigan

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

HGIO in ROSES 19 Updated

From: Galen Fowler (galen.fowler at nasa.gov)

On April 1, 2019 the B.4 Heliophysics Guest Investigator - Open Program was updated to indicate that All Sky Imagers (ASI) and Ground Magnetometers (GMAG) associated with the THEMIS mission are considered to be part of the Heliophysics System Observatory (HSO). Investigations using these data as their primary data source are permitted. The proposal due dates are unchanged.

Questions about this program may be directed to Galen Fowler at Galen.fowler at nasa.gov.

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

MEETING: VarSITI Closing Symposium, June 10-14, 2019 - Deadline Extension to April 5, 2019

From: Kazuo Shiokawa and Katya Georgieva, VarSITI Co-chairs (shiokawa at nagoya-u.jp)

Dear VarSITI colleagues,

The deadline of VarSITI Closing Symposium (http://newserver.stil.bas.bg/VarSITI2019/)
has been extended to April 5, 2019.  If you have not submitted your abstracts, please
submit it in your earliest convenience.

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

MEETING: Beacon Satellite Symposium 2019, August 19-23, 2019

From: Patricia Doherty (patricia.doherty at bc.edu)

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to invite you to attend the 20th International Beacon Satellite Symposium at the University of Mazury and Olsztyn on 19-23 August 2019.

The Beacon Satellite Symposium is a triennial event organized by the Beacon Satellite Studies Group of URSI Commission G – an interdisciplinary group,
 servicing science, research applications and engineering aspects of satellite signals observed from the ground and in space.  The Beacon Symposia provide distinctive opportunities for ionospheric scientists from all over the world to meet and collaborate on topics relevant to ionospheric effects on radio propagation. Recent meetings of the Beacon Symposia have hosted between 125 and 200 people from over 40 countries. In our most recent meetings, we have seen an increase in the number of participants from the developing countries of Africa, Asia and South America – presenting the Beacon Symposia with nearly worldwide coverage.

At this time, we invite you to submit an abstract to this meeting.  The deadline for abstracts is April 30, 2019.  Due to time constraints, this will be a firm deadline with no extensions considered.  Upon acceptance of your abstracts on or before May 30, 2019, you will be invited to register on this website.  It is our intent to waive the registration fee and to assist travel and lodging costs for a limited number of young scientists and participants from developing countries. Awards will be made based on the quality of the abstract and financial need of the applicant. Information on this opportunity can be found on the link “News/Financial Support”.

Please visit the BSS website for information and the links to abstract submittal.
The website is: http://bss2019.uwm.edu.pl/

We sincerely hope to see you at BSS2019 in Olsztyn, Poland.

Patricia Doherty, Boston College, URSI Commission G Chair
Andrzej Krankowski, University of Mazury and Olsztyn
Bruno Nava, Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
Chairs of URSI’s Beacon Satellite Studies Group

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

Monday Science Telecon, April 8

From: David Sibeck (david.g.sibeck at nasa.gov)

At 12:00 noon EST on Monday (April 8), we plan to hold the next in our ongoing series of science telecons. The speaker this Monday will be Jerry Goldstein from the Southwest Research Institute. The topic will be "The Dynamics of Plasmaspheric Oxygen Ions".

The telecom will be broadcast live via webex. If you would like to join, please go to http://uclaigpp.webex.com/ and enter the Meeting number: 280 328 066 (‘Dayside Science meeting). Please type your name and contact information, and then the meeting password, which is Substorm1!

To hear the audio, do not dial the number that pops up on the webex website. Instead, please dial the following toll-free (in the United States) number:
1-844-467-6272
with passcode 901533#

Please remember to mute your telephone if you are not speaking.

Looking forward to speaking with you.

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

Town Hall at the University of Colorado on April 15, 2019 for the NAS Plasma 2020 Decadal Assessment of Plasma Science

From: John Cary (cary at colorado.edu)

The Town Hall will take place on April 15, 2019, 3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. in the G Wing of the Duane Physics complex in Room G126. The charge for the assessment is at

http://sites.nationalacademies.org/bpa/bpa_188502.

The Town Hall will include a presentation on the organization and progress, and time will be provided for individuals to share perspectives.

You are cordially invited to attend the Town Hall and share your perspectives, but in order to present, you must RSVP to Caz Margenau <caz at colorado.edu> by April 11. We would also appreciate notification if you are attending without presenting so that we can change the room if it is not of sufficient size.

Please contact Caz Margenau <caz at colorado.edu> if you have any questions.

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

SESSION: SHINE Conference Session "Pickup Ions in the Heliosphere and Beyond"

From: Nikolai Pogorelov & Ming Zhang (np0002 at uah.edu)

SHINE 2019 Session: Pickup Ions in the Heliosphere and Beyond

Conveners: N. Pogorelov (UAH) and M. Zhang (FIT)

The purpose of this session is to discuss the fundamental properties of the solar wind (SW) and its interaction with the local interstellar medium (LISM) caused by the presence of non-thermal, pickup ions (PUIs). The discussion will follow a broad, integrative approach based a variety of observation data, simulation tools, and theoretical methods. Charge exchange of PUIs gives birth to energetic neutral atoms (ENAs). Therefore, the session will address both in situ measurements of PUIs by ACE, Ulysses, New Horizons, and Voyager, and remote observations of ENA fluxes from IBEX, Cassini/INCA, and SOHO/HSTOF. The proposed session will address microscopic and macroscopic phenomena related to PUIs, and especially their combination. It will particularly focus on the following scientific questions:

1. Where are PUIs produced and how their distribution function evolve throughout the heliosphere?
2. How the distribution functions of non-Maxwellian ions, and PUIs in particular, behave at collisionless shocks?
3. What is the effect of PUIs and anomalous cosmic rays on the global structure of the heliosphere?
4. What are the mechanisms to accelerate PUIs in the supersonic solar wind and in the inner heliosheath?
5. What is the correlation between observations and model predictions for the bulk properties of PUIs?
6. What are the physical mechanisms responsible for the IBEX ribbon and distributed ENA fluxes? How to improve the energy resolution of ENA models.
7. What are the major theoretical challenges in our understanding of the PUI physics from the perspective of the IMAP mission?

Abstracts are welcome through shinecon.org.

Scene-setting presentations will be given by David McComas and Vadim Roytershteyn.

7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7

JOB OPENING: Space Physics Post-Doc Opportunity at the University of Michigan

From: Mark Moldwin (mmoldwin at umich.edu)

Space Physics and Engineering Postdoctoral Research Position Available Within the University of Michigan’s Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering Department

Applications are invited for a postdoctoral research position at the University of Michigan to begin Summer 2019. The primary research involves the development of ground and space-based magnetometers for the study of the Earth, the Moon and Europa’s space environments and analysis of data for understanding geomagnetic field-aligned-currents, ULF waves, and geophysical remote sensing of Europa’s near and sub-surface environments. The initial appointment will be for two years and the salary commensurate with experience.  Background or strong interest in Space Physics, Space or Electrical Engineering, sensor development and testing, small-satellite engineering, or data analysis is sought. To apply, see the UM Careers web-page for instructions. http://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/170418/research_fellow
Complete applications ask for a cover letter stating research interests and experience, a CV, and the names and addresses of two references.  For additional information contact Mark Moldwin (mmoldwin at umich.edu). Review of materials begins 4/30/19 and continues until the position is filled. The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.

Michigan Engineering’s vision is to be the world’s preeminent college of engineering serving the common good. This global outlook, leadership focus and service commitment permeate our culture. Our vision is supported by a mission and values that, together, provide the framework for all that we do. Information about our vision, mission and values can be found at: http://strategicvision.engin.umich.edu/ .

The University of Michigan has a storied legacy of commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). The Michigan Engineering component of the University’s comprehensive, five-year, DEI strategic plan—along with updates on our programs and resources dedicated to ensuring a welcoming, fair and inclusive environment—can be found at: http://www.engin.umich.edu/college/about/diversity.

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately weekly. Back issues are available at:
http://spa.agu.org/category/newsletters/

To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

NOTE: Due to the large number of SPA-related sessions at major conferences, the SPA Newsletter can no longer accept announcement requests for individual sessions at AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, or IAGA Meetings. Titles and web links (if available) of these sessions will be distributed in a special issue of the Newsletter before the abstract deadline.

SPA Web Site: http://spa.agu.org/

SPA Newsletter Editorial Team: Peter Chi (Editor), Guan Le (Co-Editor), Sharon Uy, Marjorie Sowmendran, Todd King, and Kevin Addison