[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXVI, Issue 73

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Thu Dec 19 15:18:25 PST 2019

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXVI, Issue 73
Dec.19,2019

Table of Contents

1. Thank You for a Great AGU

2. SPA Advocacy Committee Annual Report 2019

3. MEETING: SDO 2020 Science Workshop: A Decade of Discovery

4. MEETING: Cluster 20th Anniversary Symposium: First Announcement

5. MEETING: ESWW17/ESWW2020 Call for Plenary and Parallel Sessions - First Announcement

6. Topical Collection of Solar Physics “Towards Future Research on the Drivers of Space Weather”

7. JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Research Position in Space Physics at Florida Institute of Technology

8. JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Positions in Space Physics Group at the Department of Physics, University of Helsinki, Finland

9. Two PhD Positions in Space Physics at UiT

10. New RHESSI Science Nuggets

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Thank You for a Great AGU

From: Christina Cohen (cohen at srl.caltech.edu)

I hope that everyone that attended the AGU last week has managed to return home safely and had an enjoyable and productive meeting.

As usual the large number of special sessions and overlap between our subsections' science, makes scheduling a complicated task.  This year it was particularly challenging due to the additional Centennial programming involved.  I would like to thank our SA/SH/SM secretaries, Romina Nikoukar, Christina Lee, and Liz MacDonald for doing such a great job!  After this, next year should be a walk in the park.

Our section is part of the Beyond Earth Neighborhood, which put together an extra full day of programming in celebration of 100 years of AGU.  Thank you to those that participated in that programming and made it so successful.

Lastly, we had two great Bowie lectures by Peggy Shea (Parker lecture) and Cora Randall (Nicolet lecture).  If you missed them, they are on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwHTcWFDf8c and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EP586GCCew, respectively.

Wishing you all a wonderful holiday season,

Christina

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

SPA Advocacy Committee Annual Report 2019

From: Paul Cassak (Paul.Cassak at mail.wvu.edu)

The charge of the SPA Advocacy Committee is to promote support for the field of Space Physics and Aeronomy, especially by the funding agencies and by the government in general. This is a report of the committee’s activities for 2019 and some other information. The Annual Report is available at http://ulysses.phys.wvu.edu/~pcassak/2019.SPAAdvocacyReport.pdf. Please let anyone on the committee [Dan Baker, Paul Cassak (Chair), Ian Cohen, Gordon Emslie, Harlan Spence, and Sarah Vines] know if you have any questions or concerns. We intend to provide updates about SPA Advocacy activities to this Newsletter at a higher cadence, so watch this space for those updates. There are three additional matters:

(1) The current committee is well-represented in the Solar and Heliospheric (SH) and Magnetospheric (SM) research areas, but not in Aeronomy (SA). If you are in the SA community and are interested in serving on this committee for a one year term, please send a brief statement of interest to Paul.Cassak at mail.wvu.edu.  Please do so by January 10, 2020.

(2) This year, the SPA Advocacy Committee solicited and received help from a number of community members in strategically important districts to help try to increase the NASA Heliophysics budget. [News just came out on the day of writing that the FY20 NASA Heliophysics budget will likely be $724.5M, a modest $4.5M (0.6%) increase over FY19.] We would like to thank these community members for their volunteer service to the community and encourage you all to thank them as well. The community volunteers this year were – Miah Adel (AR), Vassilis Angelopoulos (CA), Nancy Crooker (ME), Jeff Kuhn (HI), Jim Labelle (VT), Katariina Nykyri (FL), Jens Oberheide (SC), and Michael Shay (DE). Thank you for your efforts!

(3) You may know that there have been space weather bills introduced in both the Senate and the House. These are great bills, and we will be working hard to help them get passed. Stay tuned to this newsletter and/or your emails, as there will likely be a need for volunteers to contact their Congressional offices in the near future.

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

MEETING: SDO 2020 Science Workshop: A Decade of Discovery

From: W. Dean Pesnell (William.D.Pesnell at NASA.gov)

The Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) invites you to the SDO 2020 Science Workshop: A Decade of Discovery, to be held October 12-16, 2020, at the Hyatt Regency in Vancouver, BC, Canada. All members of the science community are welcome and encouraged to attend.

The ten years since the launch of SDO has seen many papers in wide ranges of science results from this mission. As Solar Cycle 25 begins its rise to maximum, we will get together to discuss what we learned about the Sun and anticipate what the new cycle will look like.

Invited speakers will introduce 8 themed sessions spanning SDO‘s wide range of research topics:
Subsurface Flows, the Dynamo, and the Solar Cycle
Phun with Photons: Response of atmospheres to EUV variability
Short-term Solar Variability
Magnetic Flux in the SDO Era: From Emergence to Eruption
SDO for Space Weather: Science and Applications
The SDO Corona and Beyond
Energy and Mass Transfer Between the Corona and the Chromosphere
Vector Magnetic Field: Progress and Prospects

There will also be one day of parallel mini-workshops and an EUV calibration workshop.

Registration, abstract submission, and other information about SDO 2020 will be made available at http://sdo2020.lws-sdo-workshops.org/.

The Hyatt Regency can be explored at https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/canada/hyatt-regency-vancouver/yvrrv

Dean Pesnell
Chair, SDO 2020 Science Organizing Committee

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

MEETING: Cluster 20th Anniversary Symposium: First Announcement

From: C. Philippe Escoubet (philippe.escoubet at esa.int)

20th Cluster anniversary symposium
First announcement
ESOC, Darmstadt (Germany) on 7-11 September 2020

The symposium will celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Cluster launches in  July and August 2000. Cluster was the first mission with four identical satellites flying in formation, joined later by the five THEMIS spacecraft and more recently the four MMS spacecraft.

We will use this opportunity to review discoveries made during the 20 years of operations as well as well as remembering  the  history of Cluster from the proposal submission, to its development up to launch. Contributions on Cluster science as well as on other currently operating missions (Arase, Geotail, MMS, THEMIS and Van Allen probes), ground-based observatories and simulations are welcome.

The workshop will take place at ESOC (https://www.esa.int/ESOC), ESA centre for satellite operations. Tours of the satellite main control room, where Cluster is operated, will be organised.

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

MEETING: ESWW17/ESWW2020 Call for Plenary and Parallel Sessions - First Announcement

From: Mario M. Bisi (Mario.Bisi at stfc.ac.uk)

Dear Colleagues.

As you know, the 17th European Space Weather Week (ESWW17/ESWW2020) will take place in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, 02-06 November 2020.  The website is live and can be found here: http://esww17.iopconfs.org/

Our first call for sessions will open on Wednesday 18th December 2019 for the plenary and both types of parallel sessions.  The full details will be published on the website on or before 18th December 2019.

Best wishes,

Mario (PC Chair, on behalf of the PC)

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

Topical Collection of Solar Physics “Towards Future Research on the Drivers of Space Weather”

From: Hebe Cremades (hebe.cremades at frm.utn.edu.ar)

The original deadline for submission of full manuscripts to this Topical Collection of the Solar Physics journal was 15 December 2019.
At this time, we are pleased to announce that the deadline has been postponed to 24 January 2020. We hope that authors can make efficient use of this extra time to improve the quality of their manuscripts.

This Topical Collection is inspired after the subjects discussed in the meeting held in San Juan, Argentina, in occasion of the total solar eclipse on 2 July 2019. It must be noted that this Topical Collection is not a conference proceedings and all submissions must be completed original papers that meet the regular quality of the journal. Although participants of the recent FReSWeD meeting are especially encouraged to submit their papers, the Topical Collection is open to all scientists who would like to advance our understanding on space weather drivers.

To submit your manuscript, login as "Author" to the Solar Physics Editorial Manager at https://www.editorialmanager.com/sola/Default.aspx
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to recent changes in the system, when selecting article type in the first screen, please choose "Original Research". The drop-down menu to select this Topical Collection "Towards future research on space weather drivers" will appear at a later step during the manuscript submission procedure, more precisely in the "Additional Information" section.
We look forward to receiving your manuscripts!
Best regards,

Hebe Cremades (Guest Editor)
Teresa Nieves-Chinchilla (Guest Editor)
Cristina Mandrini (Handling Editor in Chief)

7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7

JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Research Position in Space Physics at Florida Institute of Technology

From: Ming Zhang (mzhang at fit.edu)

The Space Physics Group in the Department of Aerospace, Physics and Space Sciences, Florida Institute of Technology, is offering one or more postdoctoral positions in space physics. Department website is https://www.fit.edu/engineering-and-science/academics-and-learning/aerospace-physics-and-space-sciences/research/. The Space Physics Group researches in several areas of heliospheric physics. These positions focus on studying cosmic rays and solar energetic particle radiation for space weather forecasts. Preferred qualifications of the candidate include having prior experience in numerical computer modeling, machine learning, and analyzing plasma, particle, and magnetic field data from spacecraft. The applicant should have a Ph.D. degree in space physics or closely related disciplines. Send application to mzhang at fit.edu in a single PDF file along with names and contact information for recommendation letters.

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Position in Space Physics Group at the Department of Physics, University of Helsinki, Finland

From: Emilia Kilpua (Emilia.Kilpua at helsinki.fi)

The Space Physics Group at the Department of Physics (http://blogs.helsinki.fi/spacephysics/) is one of the leading European space physics group specialized both in observations and modelling of space plasmas. Our current research areas include physics of coronal mass ejections, their influence in the magnetospheric dynamics, as well as reconnection, shocks and particle acceleration.

We have now open a postdoctoral position in the field of modelling and observations of the solar corona. This position is part of the H2020 EUHFORIA 2.0 consortium, led by KU Leuven. EUHFORIA is a three-dimensional, time-dependent and data-driven space weather model targeted for near-real time forecasting. The postdoc is in responsible of the development of global coronal magnetic field models (based on our existing codes) for EUHFORIA and determining properties of solar eruptions using solar observations to constrain EUHFORIA's flux rope models. The candidate should have a solid knowledge in space plasma physics as well as coding experience (e.g., Python). The other useful skills include expertise in coronal observations. The position is for about 2.5 years depending on the starting date.

We offer a position in a dynamic and international research group, with a possibility to network and to develop as a researcher.  We are leading a Finnish Centre of Excellence (www.helsinki.fi/sustainable-space). As our Centre of Excellence also builds and launches CubeSats establishing new technologies with cutting edge scientific payloads, our community extends from space physics to space technology and entrepreneurial startups.

The position can start as soon as possible. The position is open until filled.

Interested candidates should send their informal application, CV, list of publications, and maximum of three names to act as references to Associate Professor Emilia Kilpua (emilia.kilpua ‘at’ helsinki.fi).

9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9

Two PhD Positions in Space Physics at UiT

From: Patrick Guio (p.guio at ucl.ac.uk)

Dear colleagues,

The Department of Physics and Technology announces two vacant PhD candidate positions in the area of Space Physics at UiT The Arctic University of Norway in Tromso, Faculty of Science and Technology. The candidates will conduct research related to the EISCAT 3D infrastructure.

More information about the two positions and application form are available at
https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/179660/two-phd-candidates-in-space-physics
and
https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/471205

Note that the deadline for application is 19th January 2020.

Many thanks,
Patrick

10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10

New RHESSI Science Nuggets

From: Hugh Hudson (hugh.hudson at glasgow.ac.uk)

No. 365, “Spectropolarimetric Insight into Plasma-Sheet Dynamics of a Solar Flare,” by Ryan French. CoMP polarization patterns in SOL2017-09-10 are amazing.

No. 364, “Lorentz Force Evolution Reveals the Energy Build-up Processes during Recurrent Eruptive Solar Flares,” by Ranadeep Sarkar, Nandita Srivastava, and Astrid Veronig.

We welcome contributions to the RHESSI Nuggets, and the topics may wander some distance away from specifically RHESSI results if they are generally interesting. See http://sprg.ssl.berkeley.edu/~tohban/wiki/index.php/RHESSI_Science_Nuggets for these and others. Comments about specific flares can be found by searching for their SOLyyyy-mm-dd identifier from this home page.

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately weekly. Back issues are available at:
http://lists.igpp.ucla.edu/pipermail/spa/

To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

NOTE: Due to the large number of SPA-related sessions at major conferences, the SPA Newsletter can no longer accept announcement requests for individual sessions at AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, or IAGA Meetings. Titles and web links (if available) of these sessions will be distributed in a special issue of the Newsletter before the abstract deadline.

SPA Web Site: http://spa.agu.org/

SPA Newsletter Editorial Team: Peter Chi (Editor), Guan Le (Co-Editor), Sharon Uy, Marjorie Sowmendran, and Kevin Addison