[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXVII, Issue 54

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Mon Aug 31 19:49:14 PDT 2020

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXVII, Issue 54
Aug.31,2020

Table of Contents

1. New SPA Student Committee - Join Us!

2. Special JGR issue: Cluster 20th Anniversary: Results from the First 3D Mission

3. GRL/JGR/SWE Special Section on "Probing the Magnetosphere through Magnetoseismology and Ultra-Low-Frequency Waves" – Submission Deadline Extended through December 31

4. Interstellar Probe Webinar 03 September at Noon EDT: Engineering Discussion: Mission Trade Space

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

New SPA Student Committee - Join Us!

From: Chris Gilly (chris.gilly at colorado.edu)

Greetings to all students and early career scientists!

Are you interested in making the upcoming Virtual AGU Fall meeting more accessible and inclusive? Do you have ideas about things that the SPA Section could be doing to serve our community in general? Then come join me in the new AGU SPA student committee!

My name is Gilly, and I am your student representative on the SPA Executive Committee. Last month, the student representatives from all of the AGU sections had a meeting where we talked about what each section was doing to support their communities. In response to that meeting, our section has decided to form our own SPA Student Committee. This committee will be responsible for communicating the needs of the students at AGU meetings (and throughout the rest of the year too!) to the executive committee, and will be well positioned to spearhead initiatives that serve our community. And because this is a new committee, there is a lot of room for the role of the committee to evolve to best meet our needs. If you are interested in volunteering, please fill this brief form (full link below). Open to anyone who wants to improve the student experience at AGU, including high schoolers, undergraduates, grad students, postdocs, and EC scientists. Feel free to email me directly at chris.gilly at colorado.edu if you have any comments, questions, or concerns.

I hope to hear from you soon!

Student Rep Meeting Minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/163sbXaCpzzsy67I0X-wVXckjfw1r1a2Tf1eArI_2U5I/edit?usp=sharing

Interest in Joining Form:
https://forms.gle/sn5h6wwMsnjSVaWQ8

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Special JGR issue: Cluster 20th Anniversary: Results from the First 3D Mission

From: C. Philippe Escoubet (philippe.escoubet at esa.int)

Call for Papers for “Cluster 20th anniversary: results from the first 3D mission”

Submission Open: 1 August 2020
Submission Deadline: 28 February 2021

Special Section Organizers:
C. Philippe Escoubet, ESA/ESTEC
Stein Haaland, Birkeland Centre for Space Science
Huishan Fu, Beihang University
Melvyn Goldstein, NASA/GSFC

The four Cluster spacecraft were launched in pairs on two Soyuz rockets on 16 July and 9 August 2000. Initially, the constellation was formed with each spacecraft at the tip of a tetrahedron of 600 km in size. In the past 20 years, the size of the constellation was changed 52 times to measure electron scales (down to 3 km), ion scales (a few 1000s km), and up to very large scales (10 RE). A wealth of new results has been obtained and published in more than 2800 refereed papers. This special issue will review the major results obtained so far and present new results. Cluster guest investigators as well as early career scientists are encouraged to submit their latest finding. Cluster is highly complementary to other missions such as MMS, THEMIS, Van Allen Probes and SWARM and collaborations studies that address multi-scale investigations are highly encouraged.

To submit your manuscript, use the GEMS site for JGR-Space Physics (https://jgr-spacephysics-submit.agu.org/cgi-bin/main.plex) and select the collection’s title from the drop down menu in the Special Section field of the submission form.

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

From: Peter Chi, Kazue Takahashi, and Alfredo Del Corpo (pchi at igpp.ucla.edu)

Considering the continuing impact of COVID-19 on many prospective authors of this special section of AGU journals, GRL/JGR-A/SWE Editors have graciously extended the manuscript submission deadline to December 31, 2020. We encourage interested authors to make use of this extended window for publishing articles in this special section with the following scope:

GRL/JGR-A/SWE Special Section:
Probing the Magnetosphere through Magnetoseismology and Ultra-Low-Frequency Waves

The vast magnetosphere can experience a variety of impulses and fluctuations at ultra low frequencies (ULF) that result from the interaction with the solar wind or internal resonances and wave-particle interactions. These continuous or impulsive perturbations provide a unique way to probe the state of and physical processes in the magnetosphere. In particular, two magnetoseismic methods have been well demonstrated for investigation of the magnetosphere. Observations of the widespread field line resonance in the magnetosphere show the variability of the plasmasphere in timescales ranging from within an hour to over a solar cycle. Timing impulse arrivals has enabled new capability of remotely monitoring sudden impulses and substorm onsets, which are important magnetospheric phenomena but rarely measured on site. The occurrence of certain ULF wave types, such as electromagnetic ion cyclotron (EMIC) waves or long-period poloidal waves, can imply the existence of warm plasma populations. This special issue solicits all papers that use magnetoseismology and/or ULF waves to explore the magnetosphere.

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

Interstellar Probe Webinar 03 September at Noon EDT: Engineering Discussion: Mission Trade Space