[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXVII, Issue 35

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Wed Jun 10 19:30:18 PDT 2020

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXVII, Issue 35
Jun.10,2020

Table of Contents

1. Interstellar Probe Study Webinar 11 June - Our Boundary to Interstellar Space: A New Regime of Space Physics

2. Magnetosphere Online Seminar Series

3. JOB OPENING: CCMC Ionosphere Scientist

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Interstellar Probe Study Webinar 11 June - Our Boundary to Interstellar Space: A New Regime of Space Physics

From: Andrea S. Harman (ams573 at alumni.psu.edu)

Please join the Interstellar Probe Study Team for another installment of the Interstellar Probe Study Webinar series on Thursday (6/11) at noon EDT via Zoom.

Title: Our Boundary to Interstellar Space: A New Regime of Space Physics

Presenters
Dr. Elena Provornikova (Lead Scientist for Heliophysics, Interstellar Probe Study)
Professor Merav Opher (Department of Astronomy, Boston University)
Dr. Jamie Rankin (Space Physics Postdoctoral Research Associate, Princeton University)

Our panelists will discuss the discoveries and the latest research on the nature of the boundary between the heliosphere and the very local interstellar medium. They will summarize the primary outstanding questions in the field, and what measurements could be made to answer them. Following the presentations, there will be a question and answer session.

Please find a Zoom link on the event webpage (the link will appear 1-2 days before the event) athttp://interstellarprobe.jhuapl.edu/Resources/Meetings/agenda.php?id=83.

For more information on the Interstellar Probe Study please visit http://interstellarprobe.jhuapl.edu, and to receive notifications for upcoming webinars and events please sign up for our listserv at:http://interstellarprobe.jhuapl.edu/Team/

The JHUAPL Interstellar Probe Study Team

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Magnetosphere Online Seminar Series

From: Kyle Murphy, David Sibeck (magnetosphere.seminars at gmail.com)

You are invited to join the Magnetosphere Online Seminar Series every Monday at 12 pm (EDST, 1600 uT).

On Monday June 15 we have two seminars; Benoit Lavaud will discuss “The Cusps” at 10 AM EDST and Elsayed Talaat will give an overview of the Space Weather Follow On mission at 12 PM EDST. A link to join the seminars via Zoom or YouTube can be found on our home page (https://msolss.github.io/MagSeminars/). The password to join the Zoom seminar is Mag at 1.

We are back to our regular schedule Monday June 22 with Takuma Nakamura presenting “The Low Latitude Boundary Layer” at 12 PM EDST.

See previous talks here - https://msolss.github.io/MagSeminars/blog.html

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

JOB OPENING: CCMC Ionosphere Scientist

From: Katherine Garcia-Sage (katherine.garcia-sage at nasa.gov)

The Community Coordinated Modeling Center (CCMC, https://ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov) at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center is seeking a Heliophysics scientist with experience in Ionospheric Physics to work full time and to be employed as a contractor. The ideal candidate would have a strong background in ionospheric modeling and validation, including modeling of space weather quantities such as scintillation and TEC. At CCMC, we provide simulation services (Runs on Request) from a unique collection of space science and space weather models developed by the international research community.  As one of the ITM domain scientists, the person hired would be responsible for installing models, performing testing, preparing models for Runs on Request, and maintaining the installations (see https://ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov/models/model_on_board.php).  The selected candidate would work closely with the model developers throughout this process.  Another responsibility of the domain scientist is to answer questions from the community about model usage and to advise them on simulation settings that will enable them to reach their scientific goals.  CCMC domain scientists are also typically involved in model validation and community leadership activities, and typically spend up to 20% of their time on other research projects (preferably related to CCMC work) to maintain scientific standing. If you enjoy working in a cross disciplinary team, working with the scientific community, and would like to make a lasting impact on the heliophysics science community, you should join our team.

The selected candidate will be resident at the NASA/GSFC in Greenbelt, Maryland, and be employed as a contractor via an existing cooperative agreement.  Women and minority candidates are encouraged to apply.

The position is full-time and includes full benefits. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.  For full consideration, submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Katherine Garcia-Sage (katherine.garcia-sage at nasa.gov), Jia Yue (jia.yue at nasa.gov), and Masha Kuznetsova (maria.m.kuznetsova at nasa.gov). Informal inquiries are welcomed.

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately weekly. Back issues are available at:
http://lists.igpp.ucla.edu/pipermail/spa/

To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

NOTE: Due to the large number of SPA-related sessions at major conferences, the SPA Newsletter can no longer accept announcement requests for individual sessions at AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, or IAGA Meetings. Titles and web links (if available) of these sessions will be distributed in a special issue of the Newsletter before the abstract deadline.

SPA Web Site: http://spa.agu.org/

SPA Newsletter Editorial Team: Peter Chi (Editor), Guan Le (Co-Editor), Sharon Uy, Marjorie Sowmendran, and Kevin Addison