[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXVII, Issue 38

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Sat Jun 27 14:24:17 PDT 2020

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXVII, Issue 38
Jun.27,2020

Table of Contents

1. Auroral Quick-Look Viewer of NIPR Ground-based Network (AQVN)

2. NSF/AGS June Update

3. 2020 International Space Weather and Space Climate Medals

4. European Space Weather Week (ESWW2021): New Dates!

5. Heliophysics 2050 Workshop and Call for White Papers

6. SESSION: AMS 2021 Session Announcement

7. Magnetosphere Online Seminar Series

8. JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Research Position in Space Physics at Princeton University

9. RHESSI Nuggets in June 2020

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Auroral Quick-Look Viewer of NIPR Ground-based Network (AQVN)

From: AQVN Development Team (uapdata at nipr.ac.jp)

We are pleased to announce that the auroral quick-look viewer of NIPR ground-based network (AQVN) is available on the NIPR website:

http://pc115.seg20.nipr.ac.jp/www/AQVN/index.html

AQVN was created to easily find various auroral phenomena (e.g., auroral breakup, discrete aurora, pulsating aurora, etc) and check weather conditions at the observatories. Currently, image data at 12 stations in Arctic and Antarctica are available.

AQVN has the following functions:
- To display image data for 1-site and also multiple sites.
- To display 24-hour and 2-hour keograms.
- To run image data as animation
- To add the geomagnetic coordinates (direction) on the image.

Please contact the AQVN Development Team (uapdata [at] nipr.ac.jp) at National Institute of Polar Research (NIPR), Japan, if you have any question and/or request about AQVN.

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

NSF/AGS June Update

From: Michael Wiltberger (mwiltber at nsf.gov)

(Sent on behalf of Anjuli Bamzai)

The deadline for the NSF Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER) program has been extended. See details at the end of this message.

I hope you are doing well. These are unprecedented times and we are faced with the same constraints as the rest of society—social distancing, stay at home, family obligations, and extra attention towards minimizing the spread of infection.  Indeed, tough complicated times affecting our work-life balance. I’d like to assure you that AGS staff are working hard and remain committed to advancing knowledge and cutting-edge new discoveries in the atmospheric, geospace and related sciences.

Earlier today NSF staff received a message from Dr. Sethuraman Panchanathan, fifteenth Director of NSF.  As he eloquently states ‘Our central focus will always be to advance the frontiers of knowledge by supporting basic research — this is who we are. We can enhance our ability to do that by ensuring that the scientific enterprise is open to everyone who has the drive to be part of our mission and creating diverse pathways into the research community. Partnerships—with industry, with the public, with institutions, with non-profits, and more—are an opportunity to accelerate our progress and amplify the benefits of basic research. Finally, our nation can enrich the global research environment by being the vanguard of principled research leadership. ……. We are also facing a moment of truth about racial equity. I know many of you are hurting and I share that pain. To those of you who have reached out to your colleagues—to find solace, to give support, to connect—thank you for demonstrating that, as a community, we are stronger through empathy and affirmation. Discrimination and bias have no place at NSF, in the research community, or in any corner of science and engineering. As an institution, NSF is committed to inclusivity, diversity, and supporting talent from every demographic. As individuals and teams, we must work to fulfill that commitment.’

CAREER:  In consideration of the challenges facing many in our country, NSF is extending the upcoming proposal deadline for the Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER) until  5:00 p.m. submitter's local time on Tuesday, August 11, 2020. The updated solicitation and public notification was released Tuesday June 23rd. Please note that the eligibility requirements specified in the solicitation remain unchanged, and proposers must meet all of the eligibility requirements as of the original deadline of July 27, 2020.  We strongly encourage the submission of CAREER proposals on or before the original deadline of July 27, 2020.  We also inform the community that NSF will not consider requests to extend the deadline date beyond 5:00 p.m., submitter’s local time on Tuesday, August 11, 2020, except as outlined in PAPPG Chapter I.F.3.

The link to the solicitation is at https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2020/nsf20525/nsf20525.htm
The link to the FAQs is at https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2020/nsf20025/nsf20025.jsp
The CAREER Coordinating Committee held a webinar on May 13, 2020. The recording may be found at https://nsf.gov/crssprgm/career/CAREER_webinar.jsp

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

2020 International Space Weather and Space Climate Medals

From: Mario M. Bisi (Mario.Bisi at stfc.ac.uk)

(Sent on behalf of Jean Lilensten)

We are happy to announce the 2020 contest for the international space weather medals. Of course, we are aware of the pandemic, and still unable to foresee what the medal ceremony will be. The 17th European Space Weather Week is now postponed until 2021, so we will have to be imaginative. However, these medals are worldwide recognitions in space weather, and we feel that they should not be stopped because of a virus. We will find a way!

Medal recipients’ work must have been documented in peer review journals or book chapters, or must be a technological contribution that has led to a fully implemented new space weather capability. Medal recipients’ work must be relevant to space weather and/or space climate. The work must also be internationally recognized.
In addition to the above common criteria, there are the following specific requirements for each of the three medals:

The Kristian Birkeland Medal for Space Weather and Space Climate:
The recipient of the Kristian Birkeland Medal must have demonstrated a unique ability to combine basic and applied research to develop useful space weather products that are being used outside the research community, and/or across scientific research disciplines. The work must have led to a better physical comprehension of the solar-terrestrial phenomena related to space weather, to a drastic improvement of space weather modeling, or to a new generation of instruments.

The Baron Marcel Nicolet Medal for Space Weather and Space Climate:
The recipient of the Baron Marcel Nicolet Medal must have demonstrated a unique ability to bind the space weather community in a spirit of peace and friendship, to educate within the space weather community, to go also beyond the space weather research community and address larger audiences.

The Alexander Chizhevsky Medal for Space Weather and Space Climate:
The prize rewards a young researcher (younger than 35 years, or having successfully defended her/his thesis within the last 6 years prior to the ESWW2020, i.e. after October 30th, 2014) for outstanding achievements in space weather with an innovative approach.
The six-year period is increased with the duration of any parental leave taken during the period.

How to nominate?
In order to nominate a person for one of the international space weather medals, please send a pdf document including:
- Your name, first name, professional address.
- The name, first name, professional address of the person that you nominate.
- Which of the three medals you nominate the person for.
- Reasons for the nomination (two pages). Please, make sure that these reasons relate to space weather and fulfill the criteria below.
- A full CV of the nominee.
- Please include letters of support from two colleagues, preferably outside your own home institution. You may also include those two colleagues as co-signatories on the proposal. For the Chizhevsky prize, a recommendation letter from the PhD advisor (in case (s)he is not the person sending the application) is recommended.
- Up to five references (journal articles, prizes, patents…).

Self-nominations are not allowed.
The medal committee members cannot be nominated or nominate.

You may resubmit a previous nomination that was not successful. Please indicate in your nomination that you wish the committee to reconsider it. You can update the documents or ask the committee to reconsider the already submitted files.

Send your documents by email only to medals at space-weather.eu. The deadline for the nominations is 6th September 2020.

Composition of the Medal Committee:
The Medal committee is composed of
Simone Gutt, the Royal Academy of Belgium,
Øyvind Sørensen of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters
Dr. Galina Kotova, of the Russian Academy of Science.
Prof. Jøran Moen, Dr. Pål Brekke, Norway
Prof. Véronique Dehant, Belgium
Prof. Anatoli Petrukovich and Prof. Vladimir Kalegaev, Russia
The chair of the ESWW Organising committee (Mario M. Bisi)
Member of the ESWW PC Workgroup for the International Space Weather Medals (R. Van der Linden)
The head of the ESA Space Weather Working Team and vice-chair of the medal committee(S. Poedts)
The Journal of Space Weather and Space Climate (A. Belehaki).

The following previous winners are also members of the medal committee:
Bojan Vrsnak, Ji Wu, Elena Popova: in the Committee in 2018 – 2020
Tamas Gombosi, Hermann Opgenoorth, Christina Kay : in the Committee in 2019 – 2021
Bruce T. Tsurutani, Delores Knipp, Jiajia Liu : in the Committee in 2020 – 2022

The Medal Committee is chaired by J. Lilensten.

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

European Space Weather Week (ESWW2021): New Dates!

From: Mario M. Bisi (Mario.Bisi at stfc.ac.uk)

Having re-arranged the dates for the 17th European Space Weather Week in Glasgow twice already, firstly because of the COP 26 Climate Change Meeting and then as a result of the on-going COVID-19 pandemic, we have to change the dates again because of the re-arranged COP 26 Climate Change Meeting: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-52814996.

Therefore, the 17th European Space Weather Week (ESWW2021) is now scheduled for 25th-29th October 2021: http://esww17.iopconfs.org/

We continue to look forward to welcoming you to Glasgow in 2021 for ESWW2021.

Mario Bisi
ESWW PC Chair
ESWW LOC Vice Chair

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

Heliophysics 2050 Workshop and Call for White Papers

From: Linda Garcia (lgarcia at hou.usra.edu)

The Heliophysics 2050 Workshop is an agency-enabled, community-driven event to help the science community better prepare for the next Decadal Survey.

It will be held in May 2021. The event is intended to be an in-person meeting with a strong virtual attendance option. Organizers are monitoring the COVID-19 situation, and contingency plans for a fully virtual meeting will be made should they be necessary.

Purpose and Scope

The workshop will focus on discussing a strategic, multi-decadal science framework for solar and space physics. The community will create a cohesive science strategy to identify:

1. Essential science investigations necessary for major science advancements.
2. Research and capability development needed to meet science investigation requirements.
3. Research needed in the next decade to prepare for long-term research goals.
4. Work needed to ensure a pipeline from basic research to pre-application research and then into operational needs, including the operations-to-research loop that strengthens forecasting and other predictive capabilities.

Call for White Papers

The workshop discussions will be based on the science needs identified in community white papers. Submissions are encouraged to advance and expand the field of solar and space physics.

White papers should succinctly describe a progression of linked scientific investigations starting from the current state and leading toward the desired state in 2050. The ideal white paper would contain the key points and links between and progression of related science investigations that would serve as a basis for a longer conversation, and would not describe a spaceflight mission or other implementation. There is no limit to the number of white papers an individual may submit. White papers are limited to 3 pages (including figures and references).

Community members are encouraged to proactively involve colleagues who may be experiencing significant time constraints due to the COVID-19 situation that would allow participation in but prevent the leading of white papers.

Create a profile and submit white papers via the USRA meeting portal: https://bit.ly/Helio2050.

White papers are due September 2, 2020, 5:00 p.m. U.S. Central Daylight Time (GMT -5).

Questions about the Heliophysics 2050 Workshop or its rescheduling should be directed to Jared Leisner (jared.s.leisner at nasa.gov).

Questions regarding the white paper submission process should be directed to USRA Meetings (publish at hou.usra.edu).

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

SESSION: AMS 2021 Session Announcement

From: Dan Baker, Tom Berger, Janet Green, David Malaspina, Geoff Reeves (thomas.berger at colorado.edu)

The 18th Space Weather Conference of the 2021 AMS Annual meeting will include a session on Observing, Modeling, and Forecasting the Van Allen Radiation Belt Energetic Charged Particle Environment.

With the termination of the Van Allen Probes mission and the upcoming termination of NOAA POES mission we are entering an era of potentially far fewer energetic charged particle measurements, particularly for operational space weather forecasting, nowcasting, and anomaly resolution. This session will present and discuss plans for future observing, modeling, and forecasting systems for satellite anomaly analysis, space weather monitoring, and scientific exploration related to energetic particles in the near-Earth space environment.

We invite talks and posters on mission concepts, instrumentation concepts, radiation belt models and forecasting tools, and anomaly analysis systems. Talks on data assimilation and machine learning applications to radiation belt environment characterization and prediction are also encouraged.

To submit an abstract go to

https://annual.ametsoc.org/index.cfm/2021/program-events/conferences-and-symposia/18th-conference-on-space-weather/

The deadline for submission is August 3rd, 2020.

On behalf of the session organizers: Dan Baker, Tom Berger, Janet Green, David Malaspina, and Geoff Reeves.

7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7

Magnetosphere Online Seminar Series

From: Kyle Murphy, David Sibeck (magnetosphere.seminars at gmail.com)

You are invited to join the Magnetosphere Online Seminar Series every Monday at 12 pm (EDST, 1600 uT).

On Monday June 29 Ramon Lopez will be discussing Magnetospheric Currents at 12 PM EDST. A link to join the seminar via Zoom or YouTube can be found on our home page (https://msolss.github.io/MagSeminars/). The password to join the Zoom seminar is Mag at 1.

On the following Monday (July 6) Eric Grimes will be giving a tutorial on the implementation of SPEDAS in Python - Introduction to pySPEDAS 1.0.

See previous talks here - https://msolss.github.io/MagSeminars/blog.html

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Research Position in Space Physics at Princeton University

From: Dan White (danieljw at princeton.edu)

The Space Physics Group in the Department of Astrophysical Sciences, Princeton University, anticipates offering one or more postdoctoral or more senior research positions in experimental/observational space physics.

The Space Physics Group carries out research in many aspects of space physics (aka heliophysics), with a strong emphasis on experimental and observational space plasma physics. Among others, the Group currently leads NASA's Interstellar Boundary Explorer (IBEX) mission, the Parker Solar Probe (PSP) Integrated Science Investigation of the Sun (ISIS) instrument suite, and the Interstellar Mapping and Acceleration Probe (IMAP) mission, in development for launch in 2024 to explore the details of particle acceleration and the Sun's interaction with the local interstellar medium.

The successful candidate(s) can play a major role in 1) the analysis and publication of ENA observations from IBEX, 2) the development of the experimental capability of the Group and development of space flight instrumentation for IMAP, 3) the analysis and publication of SEP observations from ISIS and particularly their relation to solar sources and phenomena, and/or 4) other funded space physics research in the Group. Preferred qualifications include having prior experience in the development of space flight instrumentation, analyzing these type(s) of ENA, particle, and/or solar data, and the proven ability to lead/participate in the rapid development and publication of numerous excellent research articles. A Ph.D. in Space Physics, Physics, Applied Physics, or a related field is required. Appointments are for one year, renewable annually based on satisfactory performance and continued funding, with the expectation of up to three years. The expected start date is September 1, 2020, though other starting dates may be negotiated.

For more information about this position, please visit https://puwebp.princeton.edu/AcadHire/apply/application.xhtml?listingId=16561

9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9

RHESSI Nuggets in June 2020

From: Hugh Hudson (hugh.hudson at glasgow.ac.uk)

No. 380: “Energy Transport by Accelerated Particles in the Quiet Solar Atmosphere”, by Lars Frogner, Boris Gudiksen, and Halle Bakke. A first study of non-thermal particles integrated into an MHD simulation of the solar atmosphere.

No. 381: “Extreme Ultraviolet Late Phase of Solar Flares”, by Rui LIU. Both arcade and circular-ribbon flares may sometimes spawn EUV late phase emission.

We welcome contributions to the RHESSI Nuggets, and the topics may wander some distance away from specifically RHESSI results if they are generally interesting. See http://sprg.ssl.berkeley.edu/~tohban/wiki/index.php/RHESSI_Science_Nuggets for these and others. Comments about specific flares can be found by searching for their SOLyyyy-mm-dd identifier from this home page.

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately weekly. Back issues are available at:
http://lists.igpp.ucla.edu/pipermail/spa/

To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

NOTE: Due to the large number of SPA-related sessions at major conferences, the SPA Newsletter can no longer accept announcement requests for individual sessions at AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, or IAGA Meetings. Titles and web links (if available) of these sessions will be distributed in a special issue of the Newsletter before the abstract deadline.

SPA Web Site: http://spa.agu.org/

SPA Newsletter Editorial Team: Peter Chi (Editor), Guan Le (Co-Editor), Sharon Uy, Marjorie Sowmendran, and Kevin Addison