[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXVIII, Issue 57

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Fri Dec 3 06:05:25 PST 2021

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXVIII, Issue 57
Dec.03,2021

Table of Contents

1. SPA DEI Registration Waivers and Caregiver Grants

2. Please Submit Questions for the AGU Town Hall on the Next Decadal Survey in Solar and Space Physics

3. Requesting Community Input on Heliophysics Archive Modernization

4. Coffee with COFFIES at AGU

5. SlackRB is back for SPA Sessions at AGU Fall Meeting!

6. MEETING: 2nd Conference on Machine Learning in Heliophysics (ML-Helio 2022)

7. MEETING: Beacon Satellite Symposium - August 1-5, 2022

8. CGS Workshop Talks Online

9. Call for Proposals: ISEE Nagoya University Joint Research & Workshop (FY2022)

10. SESSION: mini-GEM FG: Interhemispheric Approaches to Understand M-I Coupling (IHMIC)

11. SESSION: mini-GEM Cold-Plasma Focus Group Virtual Session

12. SESSION: Mini-GEM Session: Self-Consistent Inner Magnetosphere Modeling (SCIMM)

13. NASA Postdoctoral Fellowship: Application Deadline March 1, 2022

14. REU Site at  Institute of Space Weather Sciences of New Jersey Institute of Technology for Summer 2022

15. JOB OPENING: CIRES/NOAA NCEI Solar Physics Research Scientist

16. JOB OPENING: Observer and Data Manager for EOVSA

17. JOB OPENING: JHU/APL Postdoctoral Position in UV Remote Sensing

18. JOB OPENINGS: Two Postdoctoral Positions in Space Physics at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

19. JOB OPENING: Seeking a Scientific Programmer

20. RHESSI Nuggets in November 2021

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

SPA DEI Registration Waivers and Caregiver Grants

From: Geoffrey Reeves (Geoff at reevesresearch.org)

Thanks to the generosity of Space Physics and Aeronomy members and our corporate sponsors, Ball and Lockheed Martin, our sections DE&I initiatives for the 2021 Fall Meeting have been a great success. Thanks to you all, we were able to waive registration costs for 15 SPA scientists and to provide dependent care support for an additional 9. These are colleagues that otherwise would have had great difficulty participating in the fall meeting. This year everyone who applied was clearly deserving of support and we were able to find support for all of them.

Our registration waiver program extends beyond what AGU is providing. As far as I know we are the only section (so far) that has such a program. We provided registration waivers to scientists 9 different countries that were not designated low or lower-middle income. Of those

50% considered themselves to be members of a community that is underrepresented in SPA
30% attend or teach at a minority serving institution
40% are first time AGU attendees
and 60% are students or early career scientists

Our Dependent Care Grants provide $500 US for members who’s roles as both scientists and caregivers would have made it hard or impossible to fully participate. Some statistics for those grants are:

90% or recipients are students (30%) or early career scientists (60%)
70% are from underrepresented groups
and 90% are presenters, 30% session chairs, and 20% OSPA judges so everyone is a strong contributor to making our meeting a success

You might expect, at this point, I would ask you to donate to AGU but I won’t. What I will request is this: IF you donate please make at least part of your donation directly to the Space Physics and Aeronomy section. None of funds donated to SPA go to AGU as a whole. 100% supports SPA activities and initiatives such as these.

Thank you for being part of SPA’s continued and growing impact and for being part of our community.

Geoff on behalf of the SPA leadership team

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Please Submit Questions for the AGU Town Hall on the Next Decadal Survey in Solar and Space Physics

From: Art Charo (acharo at nas.edu)

The National Academies is soliciting questions from the solar and space physics community to be addressed at its AGU Town Hall, “Heliophysics 2024: The Next National Academies Decadal Survey for Solar and Space Physics,” which will be held virtually from 12:15 pm – 1:15 pm EST on Monday, December 6, 2021 (https://tinyurl.com/yz89qcfz).  A Google Form has been set up to gather questions in advance of the Town Hall: https://forms.gle/HH6s5ZxPXwQ5mr7XA

Answering questions during the Town Hall will be staff from the National Academies, joined by officials from NASA’s Heliophysics Division, NOAA NESDIS, and NSF’s Geospace Section.

Any questions about the Town Hall may be directed to Art Charo (acharo at nas.edu).

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

Requesting Community Input on Heliophysics Archive Modernization

From: Heather Futrell, Patrick Koehn (patrick.koehn at nasa.gov)

The NASA Heliophysics Division released a Request for Information (RFI) to gather information and community feedback on the current and future needs for NASA’s Heliophysics data and associated archives, tools, models, and resources. This information will be used to inform NASA’s restructuring, expansion, and evolution of the Heliophysics data archiving infrastructure, currently known as the Heliophysics Data Environment (HPDE) located at https://hpde.gsfc.nasa.gov.  This RFI opened on October 15, 2021 and will close on January 31, 2022.  Submissions are accepted throughout this time period and must submitted through NSPIRES at the following link: https://go.nasa.gov/3DxpHPI.  We thank you for your input!

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

Coffee with COFFIES at AGU

From: Savannah Perez-Piel (savannah_sky at berkeley.edu)

COFFIES, a Phase 1 NASA Heliophysics Drive Center, invites current undergraduates, graduate students, postdocs, and other interested persons to join us for an informative virtual session about the solar magnetic activity cycle and COFFIES goals and objectives as scientists work to develop the most reliable data-driven physical model of solar activity possible. Speakers include Sushant Mahajan of the University of Hawaii and a surprise guest!

The session will take place Tuesday, December 14th. 4 P.M. CST/ 2 P.M. PST. To receive updates and further event information, including the zoom link, please fill out the interest form at: https://bit.ly/3kNmkx8

To learn more about COFFIES please visit: http://coffies.stanford.edu

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

SlackRB is back for SPA Sessions at AGU Fall Meeting!

From: Seth Claudepierre and Robyn Millan (seth.claudepierre at ucla.edu)

"SlackRB" was originally a radiation belt-focused Slack group that grew out of a desire to keep conversations going after the very short and discussion-stifling AGU 2020 oral sessions. Over the course of the 2020 meeting, SlackRB grew to encompass many other (non-radiation belt) SPA sessions as well. We would like to encourage the chairs of SPA sessions at the upcoming AGU Fall Meeting to once again create channels and use SlackRB for their sessions this year.

Join/rejoin: https://join.slack.com/t/slackrb/shared_invite/zt-jxhkljro-hPWSRNKoFg3xHiIc1VS5ag

Please note that we are using the free version of Slack, so some of the channels and discussions from AGU 2020 have since disappeared.

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

MEETING: 2nd Conference on Machine Learning in Heliophysics (ML-Helio 2022)

From: Enrico Camporeale (enrico.camporeale at noaa.gov)

The 2nd conference on Machine Learning in Heliophysics (ML-Helio 2022) will be held on 21-25 March, 2022 in Boulder (CO) and virtually.

ABSTRACT submission is open (deadline: 15th January 2022) on this link: https://cmt3.research.microsoft.com/MLHELIO2022

As in the previous edition abstracts will be double-blind reviewed by the scientific organizing committee.

TRAVEL GRANTS (deadline: 15th January 2022)

We have a small number of travel grants. Please apply only if a travel grant is strictly necessary for your attendance to the conference.

Eligibility: in order to be considered for a travel grant you must be: 1) a student or 2) have graduated not earlier than 21 March 2019. You also need to have submitted an abstract.

Submit your travel grant application here: https://forms.gle/NLuNFJXQqNhNMutV7

More information on the registration and hotel accommodation will be available soon.

For any other information please look at the conference website:
https://ml-helio.github.io/

For any other question, please send an email to enrico.camporeale at noaa.gov

Looking forward to seeing you in Boulder (or virtually!)

7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7

MEETING: Beacon Satellite Symposium - August 1-5, 2022

From: Patricia Doherty (patricia.doherty at bc.edu)

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that the 21st International Beacon Satellite Symposium will be held at Boston College on 1-5 August 2022.

The Beacon Satellite Symposium is a triennial event organized by the Beacon Satellite Studies Group of URSI Commission G – an interdisciplinary group, servicing science, research applications and engineering aspects of satellite signals observed from the ground and in space. The Beacon Symposia provide distinctive opportunities for ionospheric scientists from all over the world to meet and collaborate on topics relevant to ionospheric effects on radio propagation.  Recent meetings of the Beacon Symposia have hosted between 125 and 200 people from over 40 countries. In our most recent meetings, we have seen an increase in the number of participants from developing countries in Africa, Asia and South America – presenting the Beacon Symposia with nearly worldwide coverage.

At this time, we invite you to save the date and watch our website for developing information on sessions, abstract submission, lodging, registration and more. Much of this information will be finalized soon.  We are planning an abstract deadline of March 15, 2022.  Upon acceptance of your abstracts on or before May 31, 2022, you will be invited to register on our website.  We intend to host BSS2022 as an in-person event.  A virtual component is not currently planned.

It is our intent to assist travel and lodging costs for a limited number of young scientists and participants from developing countries. Awards will be made based on the quality of the abstract and financial need of the applicant. Information on this opportunity will be provided at a later date.

Please check our website at www.bc.edu/bss2022 for more information as it develops over the next couple of months.  Please also register your interest in this event by pre-registering with your email address on our website.  We sincerely hope to see you at BSS2022 in Boston.

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

CGS Workshop Talks Online

From: Michael Wiltberger (wiltbemj at ucar.edu)

After the completion of our highly successful workshop the Center for Geospace Storms is pleased to announce that the talks and presentations are now available online at cgs.jhuapl.edu/workshop

The organizers would like to thank all the presenters and participants for their efforts and look forward to holding another workshop next year.

9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9

Call for Proposals: ISEE Nagoya University Joint Research & Workshop (FY2022)

From: Kanya Kusano (kusano at nagoya-u.jp)

The ISEE, Nagoya University, Japan, has announced an opportunity of

(1) International Joint Research Program
(2) ISEE International Workshop

for the fiscal year 2022.

For (1), the ISEE supports foreign researchers to visit ISEE to make joint researches with ISEE researchers. For (2), ISEE supports organizing small international workshops on focused topics related to the Space-Earth environmental research. The deadline for application is January 15, 2022.

For details, please visit the following website.
https://www.isee.nagoya-u.ac.jp/en/co-re/co-re-application.html

10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10

SESSION: mini-GEM FG: Interhemispheric Approaches to Understand M-I Coupling (IHMIC)

From: Hyomin Kim, Robert Lysak, Tomoko Matsuo, Dogacan Ozturk, Sungjun Noh (hmkim at njit.edu)

We invite you to participate in our mini-GEM focus group session, “Interhemispheric Approaches to Understand M-I Coupling (IHMIC)”. Two sessions will be held at 14:00-15:30 and 15:45-17:15 CT on Sunday, December 12 (a TBD hotel in New Orleans) to discuss observations and modeling work focusing on interhemispheric asymmetry and conjugacy in geomagnetic fields and its effect on M-I coupling. The second session (15:45-17:15 CT) will be held jointly with the focus group, 3D Ionospheric Electrodynamics and Its Impact on the Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere Coupled System (IEMIT, Hyunju Connor).

We welcome any scientific investigations of asymmetric features in large-scale current systems, auroral forms, waves, ion upflow, outflow, particle precipitation, high-latitude convection and thermospheric winds, and their controlling drivers (e.g., solar wind, geomagnetic field configurations, ionospheric conductivity)

The detailed session description can be found on the following website:
https://gem.epss.ucla.edu/mediawiki/index.php/FG:_Interhemispheric_Approaches_to_Understand_M-I_Coupling_(IHMIC)

We encourage workshop-style presentations, limiting each talk to less than 5-7 slides (~10-15 min) so the remaining time can be used for open discussions.

The session will be offered in a hybrid mode so speakers may be able to present their work either virtually or in person.

If you are interested in giving a talk, please send your presentation title and preferred time to Hyomin Kim (hmkim at njit.edu) and Sungjun Noh (sjnoh at njit.edu).

We are looking forward to your participation at mini-GEM and AGU 2021!

11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11

SESSION: mini-GEM Cold-Plasma Focus Group Virtual Session

From: Gian Luca Delzanno, Joe Borovsky, Natalia Buzulukova, Barbara Giles, Roger Varney (delzanno at lanl.gov)

Dear colleagues,

we are encouraging you to submit your technical contributions for the VIRTUAL session of the GEM Focus Group ‘The Impact of the Cold Plasma in Magnetospheric Physics’ at Mini-GEM.

The virtual session will occur on
*** Sunday Dec 12th 2021 at 15:45-17:15 US CENTRAL TIME ***

The session is structured with
-    An overview of cold-plasma research given by Sergio Toledo Redondo
-    Short contributions on recent technical progress
-    Open discussion

Please contact Gian Luca Delzanno (delzanno[at]lanl.gov) to schedule your contribution in the program, all aspects of cold-plasma research are welcome!

Gian Luca Delzanno
On behalf of the cold-plasma FG leaders

12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12

SESSION: Mini-GEM Session: Self-Consistent Inner Magnetosphere Modeling (SCIMM)

From: Qianli Ma, Cristian Ferradas, Chao Yue, and Jacob Bortnik (qma at bu.edu)

Dear Colleagues,

The GEM Focus Group ‘Self-Consistent Inner Magnetosphere Modeling’ will have a hybrid session during the upcoming mini-GEM workshop. Our session will be at 17:30 - 19:00 pm (CST) on December 12th, 2021. We invite contributed talks about the ring current dynamics or wave-particle interactions in the inner magnetosphere. If you would like to present in our session, please contact Qianli Ma (qma at bu.edu) or Cristian Ferradas (cristian.ferradasalva at nasa.gov) to submit the title of your presentation before December 11th. Thank you for your participation!

13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13

NASA Postdoctoral Fellowship: Application Deadline March 1, 2022

From: Taifa Simpson (tsimpson at usra.edu)

The NASA Postdoctoral Program offers US and international scientists the opportunity to advance their research while contributing to NASA's scientific goals.  The NPP supports fundamental science; explores the undiscovered; promotes intellectual growth; and encourages scientific connections.

Selected by a competitive peer-review process, NPP Fellows complete one- to three-year Fellowship appointments that advance NASA's missions in earth science, heliophysics, planetary science, astrophysics, space bioscience, aeronautics and engineering, human exploration and space operations, and astrobiology.

Current NPP research opportunities can be viewed here: https://npp.usra.edu/opportunities/

Applicants must have a Ph.D. or equivalent degree in hand before beginning the fellowship, but may apply while completing the degree requirements. Please see current eligibility requirements https://npp.usra.edu/apply/eligibility/.

Stipends start at $60,000 per year, with supplements for high cost-of-living areas and for certain academic specialties. Financial assistance is available for relocation and health insurance, and $10,000 per year is provided for professional travel.

Applications are accepted three times each year: March 1, July 1, and November 1.

For further information and to apply, visit:
https://npp.usra.edu/

Questions: npphelp at usra.edu

14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14

REU Site at  Institute of Space Weather Sciences of New Jersey Institute of Technology for Summer 2022

From: Hyomin Kim, Bin Chen, Elena Moise (hmkim at njit.edu)

The Institute of Space Weather Sciences (ISWS) at the New Jersey Institute of Technology will host a Research Experience for Undergraduates in the summer of 2022 (May 23 to July 29, 2022), funded by the National Science Foundation.

Undergraduate students in STEM fields will be invited to Newark, New Jersey for 10 weeks to engage in cutting-edge heliophysics, terrestrial physics, space weather, and big data research with space physicists, astronomers, and computer scientists.

Students will be provided a total stipend of $6,000 for the 10-week program. Additionally, a travel (between home and NJIT) and $140/week of meal allowance is provided to each student. Housing on the NJIT campus (shared rooms) will be provided.

We will accept applications until February 15, 2022.

For more detailed information about the program and application, visit the ISWS REU website

Contact Us:
- Dr. Hyomin Kim (hyomin.kim at njit.edu) or Dr. Bin Chen (bin.chen at njit.edu) for inquiries regarding the science program
- Dr. Elena Moise (elena.moise at njit.edu) for inquiries regarding the program management_x000B_

This REU program is funded by the National Science Foundation under grant AGS-2050792: "REU Site: Solar, Terrestrial, and Space Weather Sciences at New Jersey Institute of Technology."

15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15

JOB OPENING: CIRES/NOAA NCEI Solar Physics Research Scientist

From: Don Schmit (schmitd at colorado.edu)

The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado has an immediate opening for a Research Associate in solar physics working with NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI). The position focuses on the development of the Compact Coronagraph (CCOR) for the Space Weather Follow-On (SWFO) and Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite (GOES-U) missions. The Research Associate will contribute to the development of the CCOR data pipeline and data products. This position will help oversee NCEI’s contributions to in-flight calibration and validation of CCOR and the development of data tools and data products. They may also assist with other NOAA solar imagery and irradiance projects. A Ph.D. is required, as is US citizenship or permanent residence status. Please find the full job description at the link. Any questions can be addressed to Don Schmit (schmitd at colorado.edu). Applications will begin to be reviewed Dec 3, but will be accepted until the position has been filled. https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/?jobId=34804

16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16

JOB OPENING: Observer and Data Manager for EOVSA

From: Dale Gary (dgary50 at yahoo.com)

New Jersey Institute of Technology’s Center for Solar-Terrestrial Research welcomes applications for immediate filling of the position of Observer and Data Manager for the Expanded Owens Valley Solar Array (EOVSA) radio facility near Big Pine, CA. This picturesque area is in the high California desert between two 14,000-ft mountain ranges, and EOVSA shares the site with other radio instruments operated by California Institute of Technology.  EOVSA is a state-of-the-art imaging interferometer array that makes daily multi-frequency images of the solar disk, active regions, and flares.  The Observer and Data Manager works with the Chief Observer to oversee the day-to-day observations and data integrity, as well as the maintenance and functioning of computer systems of the EOVSA facility.  The facility is the centerpiece of a large solar radio research program at NJIT involving faculty members Dale Gary and Bin Chen, as well as research professors, postdocs, and graduate students.

Prerequisites are an advanced degree (MS, PhD) in Physics, Astronomy, or related field, or BS and at least two years’ experience in astronomical observations with a research facility. Experience with Linux/Unix operating systems. Aptitude for trouble-shooting hardware and software. Familiarity with computer programming, shell scripts, and the Python programming language.

For further information and to apply, go to https://njit.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/3519?c=njit

New Jersey Institute of Technology is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status.  Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.

17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17-17

JOB OPENING: JHU/APL Postdoctoral Position in UV Remote Sensing

From: Bill Swartz (bill.swartz at jhuapl.edu)

Dear Colleagues,

The JHU Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, MD, is advertising a postdoctoral position in UV remote sensing.

The successful candidate will join a collegial team of dedicated scientists at JHU/APL who conduct basic research supported by NASA, the National Science Foundation, and other U.S. Government agencies. You will work on the development of next-generation far ultraviolet (FUV) instrumentation as an Instrument Scientist in support of proposals. You will also use and develop data assimilation and machine learning techniques to support the analysis of the FUV instruments already in orbit (SSUSI and GUVI) as well as instruments to be proposed.

For more information, please see the job announcement: https://prdtss.jhuapl.edu/jobs/postdoctoral-fellow-in-uv-remote-sensing-2327

18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18-18

JOB OPENINGS: Two Postdoctoral Positions in Space Physics at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

From: Mike Liemohn, Tuija Pulkkinen, Shasha Zou  (shashaz at umich.edu)

Applications are invited for two postdoctoral research positions at the Department of Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering, University of Michigan. The successful candidates will work in one or more of the following areas:

Modeling the thermosphere-ionosphere-magnetosphere system and nonlinear feedback across geospace (Mike Liemohn);

Modeling the magnetosphere-ionosphere system and comparing the model results with magnetospheric satellite observations. (Tuija Pulkkinen);

Dynamic coupling between the magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere using ground- and space-based observations and numerical modeling (Shasha Zou).

Today, we are one of the largest departments in the world with expertise across the full range of solar, space and planetary sciences. We develop and maintain comprehensive simulation software including the Space Weather Modeling Framework and the Global Ionosphere Thermosphere Model that are used to model the space environment from the Sun to the Earth, both for research purposes and for space weather operations. The department offers a multidisciplinary work environment with multiple groups working on hardware, data analysis and data science, as well as modeling and simulation projects. Space activities spanning multiple departments are coordinated under the Michigan Space Institute. The university has postdoctoral mentoring and professional development programs that support research fellows in developing careers in research, academia, and other allied fields.

The application should include a cover letter stating research interests and experience, a CV, and the names and addresses of two references. The initial appointment is for two years and the salary commensurate with experience. Review of applications will begin Jan 15, 2022 and continue until the positions are filled.

The University of Michigan has a storied legacy of commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). The Michigan Engineering component of the University’s DEI strategic plan includes updates and resources dedicated to ensuring a welcoming, fair and inclusive environment. The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.

To apply, see the UM Careers web-page https://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/208530/research-fellow

19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19-19

JOB OPENING: Seeking a Scientific Programmer

From: David Miles (david-miles at uiowa.edu)

The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences and the Department of Physics and Astronomy are seeking a Scientific Programmer. This position will develop software to support NASA and NSF funded space-based satellite and rocket missions. The selected candidate will work with scientists, engineers, and technical staff to process raw scientific measurements into robust, well calibrated, data products that are released to the national and international research community. They will provide data visualizations to assess the performance of laboratory and space-based instruments and identify scientifically interesting phenomena. This is an entry level position; on-the-job skill improvement and education are expected. This position is full-time with a 2 year specified term.

20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20

RHESSI Nuggets in November 2021

From: Hugh Hudson (Hugh.Hudson at glasgow.ac.uk)

http://sprg.ssl.berkeley.edu/~tohban/wiki/index.php/RHESSI_Science_Nuggets

No. 421, “The Jakimiec Diagnostic Diagram,” by Hugh HUDSON: The joint variation of GOES temperature and emission measure discloses new features via an old tool.

No. 420, “First look at ALMA/Hinode/IRiS microflares,” by Toshifumi SHIMIZU et al.: High-resolution ALMA and multiwavelength observations of microflaring.

We welcome contributions to the RHESSI Nuggets, and the topics may wander some distance away from specifically RHESSI results if they are generally interesting. See http://sprg.ssl.berkeley.edu/~tohban/wiki/index.php/RHESSI_Science_Nuggets for these and others. Comments about specific flares can often be found by searching for their SOLyyyy-mm-dd identifier from this home page.

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately weekly. Back issues are available at:
http://lists.igpp.ucla.edu/pipermail/spa/

To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

NOTE: Due to the large number of SPA-related sessions at major conferences, the SPA Newsletter can no longer accept announcement requests for individual sessions at AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, or IAGA Meetings. Titles and web links (if available) of these sessions will be distributed in a special issue of the Newsletter before the abstract deadline.

SPA Web Site: http://spa.agu.org/

SPA Newsletter Editorial Team: Peter Chi (Editor), Guan Le (Co-Editor), Sharon Uy, Marjorie Sowmendran, and Kevin Addison