[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXVIII, Issue 7

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Mon Feb 1 08:04:38 PST 2021

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXVIII, Issue 7
Feb.01,2021

Table of Contents

1. New Resources for Space Physics & Aeronomy Award Nominations at AGU and Beyond

2. New IAGA “Geospace Data Assimilation Working Group” (GeoDAWG)

3. AGS Update

4. CALL FOR PAPERS: Special Issue "Turbulence and Energy Dissipation in Solar System Plasmas”

5. MEETING: The Deadline for Submitting a Paper to URSI GASS 2021 is Postponed to February 12, 2021!

6. MEETING: Online Radio Heliophysics Catch-up – 27-30 April 2021 - Zoom! First Announcement

7. MEETING: The Van Allen Probes Mission: Scientific Legacy, Space Weather, and What’s to Follow (New Dates: 18-19 May 2021)

8. Magnetosphere Online Seminar Series

9. SHIELD Upcoming Webinar on Feb 12, 2pm EST - How discoveries are made: Finding the needle in a haystack

10. Final Call to Sign up to Celebrate a Solar Cycle of SDO Science!

11. JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Research Scientist in Experimental Plasma Physics

12. JOB OPENING: Research Associate position for the Analysis of Solar Images Using Machine Learning and Computer Vision

13. JOB OPENING: Research Associate: Scientific Programming

14. JOB OPENING: Software Engineer Position at University of Colorado Boulder

15. JOB OPENING: Scientist Position at the Royal Observatory of Belgium

16. JOB OPENING: Research Fellow in Solar Physics at Northumbria University (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK)

17. JOB OPENING: Research Fellow in Space Plasma Physics

18. JOB OPENING: Post-doctoral Position in Space Physics to Study Auroral Ionosphere Dynamics with a Sounding Rocket

19. JOB OPENING: Assistant Professor Position at the University of California at Los Angeles

20. RHESSI Nuggets in January 2021

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

New Resources for Space Physics & Aeronomy Award Nominations at AGU and Beyond

From: Michael Hartinger (mhartinger at spacescience.org)

The AGU honors season is already starting, with Fellow nominations due March 15 and other honors April 15: https://aguhonors.secure-platform.com/a

Thinking about nominating an SPA colleague for an award? Having trouble navigating the large number of awards at AGU and beyond? See this webpage: https://connect.agu.org/spa/committees/ntf/award-finder

It has new resources from the SPA Nomination Task Force that may help:
*A selection tool (Excel spreadsheet with macros) that takes basic information about a nominee (e.g., number of years since PhD) and outputs all AGU awards that meet their eligibility criteria. This includes honors at the SPA-level and Union-level.
*A summary of organizations/links outside of AGU that provide awards/honors relevant to SPA researchers.

There’s also other resources/tips for putting together nomination packages here: https://connect.agu.org/spa/committees/ntf/ntf-reading

If you’re interested in learning more about all the different awards, how to put together a nomination, etc. please fill out this google form: https://forms.gle/djkM6fzxtiuuzup37

The NTF plans to have a meeting on these topics soon. We'd particularly encourage international colleagues who might be less familiar with AGU honors to check out the links above and attend the meeting. You don't have to be a member of AGU to be nominated for many awards, and many AGU awards are specifically for researchers outside of North America.

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

New IAGA “Geospace Data Assimilation Working Group” (GeoDAWG)

From: Larry Kepko, Claudia Borries (Larry.kepko at nasa.gov)

We are pleased to announce the formation of a new IAGA working group, the Geospace Data Assimilation Working Group (GeoDAWG), joint between IAGA Divisions II and III.

The broad goal of this working group is to exchange ideas and techniques on how to incorporate sparsely and/or unevenly sampled measurements into models, a problem we face throughout Geospace. Specific goals include:
• Provide a forum for groups to highlight modeling capabilities. Oftentimes disciplines may not be aware of modeling efforts in other disciplines.
• Discuss complexities of data assimilation unique to Geospace modeling, what can and cannot be adapted from other disciplines such as atmospheric modeling.
• Exchange methodologies across Geospace disciplines. What works and what doesn’t?
• Assist communication within disciplines, to overcome geographic barriers to collaboration
• Connect with groups external to Divisions II and III to learn about different numerical techniques, particularly new state of the art techniques from statistics, mathematics, computer science, and other physical disciplines.
• Share information on upcoming missions or measurements that could be of value to data assimilation modeling groups.
• Provide guidance on data sources, data reliability, & appropriateness for data assimilation. Even the best data assimilative model is only as good as the data that go into it.
• Discuss data sources that may be unique to Geospace such as remote sensing using energetic neutral atoms or auroral imaging.

If interested, please send an email to either of the chairs.

http://www.iaga-aiga.org/about/div3/

Larry Kepko (Chair)
Claudia Borries (Co-Chair)

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

AGS Update

From: Anjuli Bamazi (mwiltber at nsf.gov)

                                                                                                                                January 28, 2021

Dear colleagues,
I’d like to provide a brief update on leadership changes at AGS. My Limited Term Assignment as AGS Division Director draws to an end this week. It has been an honor to serve the community through this capacity and I have enjoyed interacting with you. My next assignment will be working on specific issues related to GEO Integrative Activities in the Office of Assistant Director.  I am looking forward to the change of pace.
Directly below, please find a message from our Deputy Assistant Director, Dr. Alexandra Isern.
FYI and interest, I have also included some information on recent solicitations, Dear Colleague letters, etc.
Best wishes
Anjuli

Message from Dr. Alexandra Isern, Deputy Assistant Director, Geosciences:
A recruitment is nearing completion to hire the next AGS Division Director and I will be informing you as soon as I am able.
We are also hiring Section Heads in AGS. The postings are as below and the deadline for receiving applications is February 15, 2021. Please help share this information, thanks!
Section Head, Geospace: https://beta.nsf.gov/careers/openings/geo/ags/ags-2021-2006
Section Head, Atmosphere: https://beta.nsf.gov/careers/openings/geo/ags/ags-2021-2007

1.	NSF 21-040 Dear Colleague Letter: : Leadership-Class Computing Facility Application Team Partners
https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2021/nsf21040/nsf21040.jsp?WT.mc_id=USNSF_25&WT.mc_ev=click

2.	NSF 21-041 Dear Colleague Letter: Supporting Data and Sample Reuse in Polar Research
https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2021/nsf21041/nsf21041.jsp?WT.mc_id=USNSF_25&WT.mc_ev=click

3.	Wildfire and the Biosphere Townhall February 1, 2021 from 12:30 to 2:00 PM ET
To register in advance, please use the link https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/82fa58d9195949eba4b20ea1c7e0d5d6
The link with information on the Wildfire and Biosphere Innovation Lab is https://apply.hub.ki/wildfire/

4.	NSF 21-041 EPSCoR Research Infrastructure Improvement (RII) Track-4:
EPSCoR Research Fellows
https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2021/nsf21557/nsf21557.htm?WT.mc_id=USNSF_25&WT.mc_ev=click

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

CALL FOR PAPERS: Special Issue "Turbulence and Energy Dissipation in Solar System Plasmas”