[SPA] [REPOST] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER Volume XXVIII, Issue 51

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Wed Oct 27 03:25:37 PDT 2021

(Editor's Note: This is a repost of the October 14, 2021 SPA Newsletter due to an email outage during the original distribution.)

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXVIII, Issue 51
Oct.14,2021

Table of Contents

1. Featured SPA Lectures

2. Equitable Letters for Space Physics (ELSP) is Now Accepting Recommendation and Nomination Letters to Review

3. MEETING: 16th International Symposium on Equatorial Aeronomy (ISEA-16) During 12 - 16 September 2022 at Kyoto University Uji Campus, Kyoto, Japan -- First Announcement

4. MEETING: 2nd CGS Workshop

5. MEETING: Parker Solar Probe Scholars – Third Meeting November 9-10, 2021

6. MEETING: Parker Two – Second Annual Parker Solar Probe Conference, 21-24 June 2022 – First Announcement

7. GeoDAWG Seminar Series

8. Metop-A Retirement and Upcoming “NGDC Satdat” URL Change

9. Benchmarking Challenge: Validation of the Ring Current Models

10. JOB OPENING: Tenure-Track Assistant Professor at Boston University

11. JOB OPENING: Tenure-track Assistant Professor Position at George Mason University

12. JOB OPENING: Tenure/Tenure-Track Position at University of Michigan

13. JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Positions in Outer Heliosphere Science at LANL

14. JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Position on Sun-Climate at George Mason University and NASA/GSFC

15. NSF/Air Force Research Lab INTERN Student Opportunities

16. RHESSI Nuggets in September 2021

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Featured SPA Lectures

From: Amy Keesee, Christina Lee, and Romina Nikoukar (amy.keesee at unh.edu)

As you are planning your AGU schedules, we’d like to point out that the Featured SPA lectures are planned for back-to-back sessions on Monday afternoon of the meeting. The schedule is SH13A Parker Lecture 13:45-14:45 CST, SM13A Van Allen Lecture 14:45-15:45 CST, and SA14A Hanson and SPA Award Lectures 15:45-16:40 CST. We planned the program schedule so there are no overlapping SPA sessions during these lectures. We realize that this is a long sequence without a break, but this was the best option with the new program layout. There are breaks immediately before and after this block of time. We look forward to seeing you at AGU, either virtually or in person.

Amy Keesee, Christina Lee, and Romina Nikoukar

SPA Section Secretaries

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Equitable Letters for Space Physics (ELSP) is Now Accepting Recommendation and Nomination Letters to Review

From: Alexa Halford, Angeline Burrell (Alexa.J.Halford at nasa.gov )

Dear SPA community,

I am pleased to announce that Equitable Letters for Space Physics (ELSP) is now accepting recommendation and nomination letters to review.  ELSP's mission is to encourage merit-based recommendations and nominations in the space physics community by providing resources for letter writing and reviews of recommendation and nomination letters.  ELSP seeks to achieve this goal by:

1) providing resources for people writing letters of recommendation and award nomination at the undergraduate level and above,
2) provide resources for people wishing to learn about different implicit biases and lessen their manifestation, and
3) provide reviews of recommendation and nomination letters, with the goal of lessening implicit bias in these letters.

This system functions similarly to double-anonymous journal article reviews, with the ELSP executive director acting as editor.  If you have more questions or would like to participate, please contact us at: equitable.space.letters at gmail.com.
You can also learn more about our mission and find both letter writing and implicit bias resources at the ELSP website: https://equitableletterssp.github.io/ELSP/.

Happy Indigenous People's Day,
Angeline G. Burrell
John Coxon,
Alexa Halford,
McArthur Jones Jr.,
Kate Zawdie

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

From: Tatsuhiro Yokoyama (yokoyama at rish.kyoto-u.ac.jp)

The International Symposium on Equatorial Aeronomy (ISEA) is held once in every three to four years. Researchers from the fields of atmosphere, ionosphere and magnetosphere gather together in ISEA to share new findings, discuss the current status, and identify topics for future research. The 16th International Symposium on Equatorial Aeronomy (ISEA-16) will be held during 12 - 16 September 2022 at Kyoto University Uji Campus, Kyoto, Japan (https://www.uji.kyoto-u.ac.jp/english/).

Because we are unable to predict the situation of COVID-19 in the next year, we will organize a hybrid symposium so that those who have difficulty in coming to Japan can attend the symposium via online.

Detailed information will be announced soon. Please mark your calendar for ISEA-16 in Kyoto, Japan.

If you have any questions, please contact
Mamoru Yamamoto (yamamoto at rish.kyoto-u.ac.jp) and
Tatsuhiro Yokoyama (yokoyama at rish.kyoto-u.ac.jp).

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

MEETING: 2nd CGS Workshop

From: Michael Wiltberger (wiltbemj at ucar.edu)

Dear colleagues,

The team of the Center for Geospace Storms (CGS), one of the NASA DRIVE Science Centers currently in Phase I, would like to bring to the community's attention the virtual workshop we are planning to hold on November 15-16, 2021. Please, mark your calendars!

The purpose of the workshop is to bring together experts, early career scientists and students in the fields of space and atmospheric sciences, for an open-forum discussion of outstanding issues in the physics of geospace storms as well as ways to broaden participation in our field.  While some of the details are still being finalized, we are pleased to announce the release of the first version of our agenda including an excellent array of speakers with numerous early career scientists.  We will also have a student showcase on the first day that has a panel discussion on seeking a PhD in our field.

Participation in the virtual workshop is free but requires registration which must be completed by November 6.  The workshop website is online at cgs.jhuapl.edu/workshop including the registration page and our agenda.

We look forward to seeing you at the workshop!

Michael Wiltberger
On behalf of the CGS Team!

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

MEETING: Parker Solar Probe Scholars – Third Meeting November 9-10, 2021

From: Nour E. Raouafi (Nour.Raouafi at jhuapl.edu)

Parker Solar Probe Scholars is a regular and open virtual meeting series aiming to promote heliophysics research by early-career scientists. The new platform will provide opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students, postdocs, etc., to showcase their research, advance their careers, foster collaborations, and seek help when needed. It is also meant to promote diversity and interest in heliophysics, particularly recent space missions and ground-based observatories (e.g., Parker Solar Probe, Solar Orbiter, and DKIST), and do so in a friendly and collegial environment.

Contributions can be submitted through https://sppgway.jhuapl.edu/psp_scholars_abstract.

Special topics:
1. Dr. Ralph McNutt (JHUAPL): The Interstellar Probe: A multi-Generation Mission – Nov. 9, 2021, 10–11 AM Eastern Time (US & Canada).
2. Dr. Thomas Zurbuchen (NASA's Associate Administrator): Leadership and Diversity – Nov. 10, 2021, 10–11 AM Eastern Time (US & Canada).

For further information, questions, and suggestions, contact Nour E. Raouafi (PSP Project Scientist, Nour.Raouafi at jhuapl.edu).

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

MEETING: Parker Two – Second Annual Parker Solar Probe Conference, 21-24 June 2022 – First Announcement

From: Nour E. Raouafi (Nour.Raouafi at jhuapl.edu)

NASA’s Parker Solar Probe (PSP) mission, which launched on August 12, 2018, has completed nine of its 24 scheduled encounters with the Sun with a minimum perihelion of 15.97 solar radii. On October 16, 2021, PSP will fly by Venus for the fifth time. This maneuver will allow a new perihelion distance of 13.2 solar radii. The primary science objectives of the PSP mission are
(1) Trace the flow of energy that heats and accelerates the solar corona and solar wind.
(2) Determine the structure and dynamics of the plasma and magnetic fields at the sources of the solar wind.
(3) Explore mechanisms that accelerate and transport energetic particles.

The science data of the first seven orbits are available to the public. Orbit 8 data will be released on October 28, 2021. The data returned so far is a treasure trove. Over 500 papers were published in different peer-reviewed journals.

The second annual Parker Solar Probe conference (i.e., Parker Two) will be held on June 21-24, 2022, in the Washington D.C. area. The conference is open to the entire heliophysics community. Abstracts involving relevant theories, simulations, data analysis, and coordinated observations are encouraged. There will be space for both oral and poster presentations and splinter sessions (e.g., data use tutorials). Early registration and abstract submission will open on January 15, 2022.

For further information, contact Nour.Raouafi at jhuapl.edu.

7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7

GeoDAWG Seminar Series

From:  Larry Kepko, Anthony Sciola, Adam Michael (adam.michael at jhuapl.edu)

GeoDAWG Seminar Series

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to invite you to attend the monthly seminar series of the IAGA “Geospace Data Assimilation Working Group” (GeoDAWG). GeoDAWG’s purpose is to provide a forum to aid in the discussion of data assimilative modeling methods across the geospace sciences. More information can be found on our website: https://sites.google.com/view/geodawg/home

Seminars will be held virtually at 11 am on the first Tuesday of every month.

The first seminar will be on October 12, given by Tomoko Matsuo on the Assimilative Mapping of Geospace Observations (AMGeO): Data Science Tools for Collaborative Geospace Systems Science.

A link to join the seminar via Zoom can be found on the GeoDawg website: https://sites.google.com/view/geodawg/seminars, along with the current GeoDAWG seminar schedule.

Speaker suggestions or questions can be also submitted online: https://sites.google.com/view/geodawg/contact-us, or you can email us directly at iaga.geodawg at gmail.com

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

Metop-A Retirement and Upcoming “NGDC Satdat” URL Change

From: Kimberly Baugh (kim.baugh at noaa.gov)

After 15 years of service to the earth and space weather operational and research, and search & rescue communities, the Metop-A Low Earth Orbit spacecraft is planned to be deorbited in November 2021 (https://www.eumetsat.int/plans-metop-end-life). Standard Metop-A Space Environment Monitor 2 (SEM-2) products from NCEI will end on Monday November 15, 2021 corresponding to EUMETSAT’s end of mission plans. Two SEM-2 related science tests are anticipated and we will work to make those data public in the spring of 2022 pending their viability. For 2021 Metop-A SEM-2 instrument suite products, see here:
https://satdat.ngdc.noaa.gov/sem/poes/data/processed/ngdc/uncorrected/full/2021/metop02/

Additionally, we will be transitioning "satdat.ngdc.noaa.gov" HTTPS URLs from the NGDC to the NCEI domain and have plans to phase out FTP entirely in favor of only supporting HTTPS, potentially by the end of this calendar year. This change will affect URLs such as these that we have today:
https://satdat.ngdc.noaa.gov/sem/poes/
https://satdat.ngdc.noaa.gov/sem/goes/
https://satdat.ngdc.noaa.gov/dmsp/

With respect to HTTPS and data currently organized underneath "satdat.ngdc.noaa.gov/" (e.g. GOES, POES, DMSP space weather), our understanding today is that likely only the current root URL “satdat.ngdc.noaa.gov/” will be replaced by a new root URL + new top-level directory paths, leaving the underlying data structure for each sensor consistent with what we have today. We will share an update on this topic when available later this calendar year.

9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9

Benchmarking Challenge: Validation of the Ring Current Models

From: Yihua Zheng (yihua.zheng at nasa.gov)

Benchmarking Challenge: Validation of the Ring Current Models that Use GEO Measurements As the Outer Boundary Condition

The ISWAT G3-02 team (https://iswat-cospar.org/G3-02) is conducting a benchmarking challenge to assess the performance of various ring current models. The goal of the challenge is to objectively quantify how well different codes perform during various conditions, and how accurately they can reconstruct the space environment conducive to surface charging effects. The first step of the benchmarking will be the evaluation of physics-based models driven by GEO observations.

Detailed guidelines regarding this challenge can be found here.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GRm_yylC7uXlc2ecQeh-faPgcYKmClquOf-Y37DSKE8/edit?usp=sharing

We’d like to invite you to participate in such effort, which will benefit both scientific and operational communities. Please submit your modeling results (also relevant observations) by Nov 30, 2021. Please contact Yihua Zheng (yihua.zheng at nasa.gov) for submission details.

Look forward to your participation.

Vania Jordanova (Los Alamos National Laboratory, USA), vania at lanl.gov
Joseph Minow (NASA/MSFC, USA), joseph.minow at nasa.gov
Dave Pitchford (SES), Dave.pitchford at ses.com
Natalia Ganushkina (University of Michigan, USA), ganuna at umich.edu
Ian Mann (University of Alberta, Canada), imann at ualberta.ca
Yihua Zheng (NASA GSFC, USA), yihua.zheng at nasa.gov

10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10

JOB OPENING: Tenure-Track Assistant Professor at Boston University

From: Anne Smartvlasak (asmart at bu.edu)

The Department of Astronomy at Boston University (http://www.bu.edu/astronomy/) seeks applications for a tenure track Assistant Professor position to begin on July 1, 2022. The successful candidate will be an early-career scientist who will lead a robust research program to become affiliated with the Center for Space Physics (CSP; http://www.bu.edu/csp/) and participate fully in the department’s teaching missions at introductory, majors, and graduate levels. Minimum qualifications include a PhD in Astronomy, Physics, Engineering, or a related field, with postdoctoral experience expected. Applications will be considered from all areas of Space Physics in Earth, planetary, and heliospheric regions. Space Physics big data endeavors may benefit from the Boston University Rafik B. Hariri Institute for Computing and Computational Science and Engineering (https://www.bu.edu/hic/). In addition to this position, the Department expects to search for additional faculty members over the next five years.

The Astronomy Department and its affiliated research centers, the CSP and the Institute for Astrophysical Research (IAR; http://www.bu.edu/iar/), are committed to valuing the principles of inclusion, equity, and diversity in all academic and research settings at Boston University through building a collegial and supportive community of scholars and students. Applications should be submitted at https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/19408. Complete applications should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and brief statements of research interests (2 pages), teaching interests (1 page), and a summary of experiences with diversity, inclusion, equity, and outreach (1 page). Candidates should arrange for three confidential letters of reference to be submitted through that website. Review of applications will begin on December 1, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled. Inquiries may be directed to Department Administrator Anne Smartvlasak (asmart at bu.edu), Department of Astronomy.

Boston University is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Boston University is committed to building a culturally, racially, and ethnically diverse scholarly community. Applications from women and underrepresented minorities are strongly encouraged. Boston University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.

11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11

JOB OPENING: Tenure-track Assistant Professor Position at George Mason University

From: Jie Zhang (jzhang7 at gmu.edu)

The George Mason University Department of Physics and Astronomy invites applications for a full-time tenure-track Assistant Professor to begin in August 2022. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.

We seek applications from qualified candidates in all areas of astronomy, astrophysics, and space science, including theorists, observers, and instrumentalists. The position’s duties include conducting research, supervising graduate and undergraduate research, contributing to departmental initiatives to foster a more inclusive environment, and teaching. Our department includes 28 tenured/tenure-track faculty and over 30 research faculty conducting cutting edge research in exoplanets, space weather, planetary science, the physics of the interstellar medium, and black holes and galaxy evolution using state of the art space and ground-based observatories. The department maintains close ties with research labs in the area including NASA Goddard, the Naval Research Laboratory, and the US Naval Observatory. The salary is competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience, and includes a full benefits package.

Required Qualifications: Ph.D. degree (or equivalent) in physics or a closely related field; Postdoctoral research experience; Demonstrated potential for excellence in teaching and mentoring a diverse undergraduate and graduate student body, while establishing a well-recognized research program.

For full consideration, applicants must apply by November 29, 2021 at https://jobs.gmu.edu/postings/51692; complete and submit the online application. Applicants should submit a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, 3 letters of recommendation, a research statement (5 pages max), a teaching statement (3 pages max), and a statement of inclusive excellence (3 pages max).

12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12

JOB OPENING: Tenure/Tenure-Track Position at University of Michigan

From: Aaron Ridley (ridley at umich.edu)

The Department of Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering (CLaSP) in the College of Engineering at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor together with the Space Physics Research Laboratory form a world-leading research environment known both for numerical modeling and space instrumentation development and use. The Department invites applications for a tenure track faculty position in the field of space science and engineering, targeting candidates with strong interest and expertise in upper atmosphere and/or plasma processes of the Sun-Earth space environment. We seek candidates interested in advanced numerical methodologies and models, the analysis of data from related space science instruments, or the development and operation of space instrumentation and missions focused on Heliophysics research.

We are seeking candidates capable of developing an internationally recognized research program, successfully competing for external funding, mentoring doctoral students, participating in our educational mission and programs at both graduate and undergraduate levels, and positively contributing to the culture, diversity, and collaborative nature of the department, college, and university.  We also welcome applications from candidates whose research addresses cross-disciplinary areas that complement our existing strengths in the development of space environment models and space instrumentation and missions.

Applications should include: (1) cover letter, (2) CV, (3) research statement, (4) teaching statement, (5) a statement describing activities, contributions, or plans related to supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion, (6) and a list of four references with contact details.
For full consideration, applications should be received before December 1, 2021.

Candidates should click here to apply: https://myumi.ch/ME8gE. Questions about the position or application process can be directed to the search committee chair Aaron Ridley (ridley at umich.edu).

Michigan Engineering’s vision is to be the world’s preeminent college of engineering serving the common good. This global outlook, leadership focus, and service commitment permeate our culture. Our vision is supported by a mission and values that, together, provide the framework for all that we do.  Information about our vision, mission and values can be found on the Strategic Vision website (http://strategicvision.engin.umich.edu/).

The University of Michigan has a storied legacy of commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). The Michigan Engineering component of the University’s comprehensive, five-year, DEI strategic plan—with updates on our programs and resources dedicated to ensuring a welcoming, fair, and inclusive environment—can be found on the DEI website (https://www.engin.umich.edu/culture/diversity-equity-inclusion/). Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. The University is also responsive to the needs of dual-career couples.

COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty, and staff across all campuses.  This includes those working or learning remotely.  More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website (https://campusblueprint.umich.edu/vaccine/).

13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13

JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Positions in Outer Heliosphere Science at LANL

From: Dan Reisenfeld, Fan Guo (dreisenfeld at lanl.gov)

Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) seeks candidates for two postdoctoral positions in data analysis and numerical modeling in the area of outer heliosphere science with ISR and T Divisions, respectively. LANL leads the IBEX-Hi instrument on the ongoing Interstellar Boundary Explorer (IBEX) mission and is leading two instruments for the upcoming Interstellar Mapping and Acceleration Probe (IMAP) mission. Our team is currently developing innovative statistical imaging methods, and using them to carry out data analysis and numerical modeling initiatives to understand energetic neutral atom (ENA) observations by IBEX and outer heliospheric processes. The successful applicants will interact and collaborate with a team that consists of experts in heliospheric science and ENA data analysis, theoretical and computational plasma physics, and statistical and data science.

Candidates should have experience in observational data analysis and/or theory and numerical simulations of space and heliospheric physics. They should hold a PhD in Space Physics, Physics, Astronomy or a related field, completed within the past five years or soon to be completed.

Applicants should send their applications electronically, including a CV, a publication list, and a concise research statement (1-2 pages) describing past achievements and future plans. They should also supply contact information for three references. Interested persons should apply online at https://lanl.jobs for position posting IRC86344 for the data analysis position or IRC90540 for the numerical modeling position. Applicants are encouraged to contact Dan Reisenfeld (dreisenfeld at lanl.gov) and Fan Guo (guofan at lanl.gov) regarding the expectations of the positions, possible research topics, and other questions related to the application. The initial appointment is for two years, with a possible third year extension. The review of applications will start on November 30th and be on-going until offers are accepted.

14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14

JOB OPENING: Postdoctoral Position on Sun-Climate at George Mason University and NASA/GSFC

From: Jie Zhang (jzhang7 at gmu.edu)

The George Mason University Department of Physics and Astronomy invites applications for a postdoctoral position to work with civil servants at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC). This position is funded by NASA through the Partnership for Heliophysics and Space Environment Research (PHaSER) cooperative agreement. The candidate will conduct Sun-Climate research at NASA/GSFC on dynamical, radiative, chemical couplings between solar forcing and Earth’s atmosphere and/or ionosphere, to better understand solar variability and its impacts on climate. The study will involve analyses of the data from current TSIS (Total and Spectral Solar Irradiance Sensor) and Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) missions, as well as mesoscale/climate modeling when needed.

The candidate shall provide expertise in the research areas on solar energy variability, analysis of large satellite data, Earth’s atmospheric dynamics, as well as a good understanding of upper atmospheric chemistry and atmosphere-ionosphere coupling. The candidate shall participate in the Sun- climate and solar irradiance science team meetings that NASA sponsors and present research results at these conferences. Publications on peer-reviewed journals are required.

Required Qualifications: Ph.D. in remote sensing geoscience with a background in Earth atmospheric sciences; Good understanding of atmospheric dynamics and measurement principles, theories, concepts and techniques in radiative transfer modeling; Good knowledge of important science questions in the Sun-Climate research and solar variabilities; Demonstrated research experience with a track record of peer- reviewed scientific publications.

For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/postings/51716; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, CV, and a list of three professional references with contact information. References will be contacted for a letter of recommendation.

15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15

NSF/Air Force Research Lab INTERN Student Opportunities

From: Mangala Sharma (MSharma at nsf.gov)

Calling NSF-funded faculty and students working on solar & space physics and space weather! Here is a terrific opportunity, via NSF, for students to work collaboratively with scientists at U.S. Air Force research facilities.

Up to $55k/six-month NSF graduate student internships are available now to do exciting, cutting-edge, fundamental, space/geospace research with outstanding Air Force scientists and research infrastructure at Air Force Office of Scientific Research facilities. Open to graduate students of PIs with active geospace NSF awards or students participating in the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP). The deadline for application and consideration is rapidly approaching.

Topics in solar and geospace science include, but are not limited to:
+ Structure and dynamics of the solar interior and its role in driving solar eruptive activity.
+ Mechanism(s)/heating the solar corona and accelerating it outward as the solar wind.
+ Triggers of coronal mass ejections, solar energetic particles, and solar flares.
+ Coupling between the solar wind and Earth’s magnetosphere and ionosphere.
+ Origin and energization of magnetospheric plasma.
+ Triggering and temporal evolution of geomagnetic storms.
+ Variations in solar radiation received at Earth and its effects on satellite drag.
+ Impacts of geomagnetic disturbances on the thermosphere and ionosphere.
+ Electron density structures and ionospheric scintillations.
+ Ionospheric plasma turbulence and dynamics.
+ Effects of neutral winds, atmospheric tides, and planetary and gravity waves on the neutral atmosphere densities and on the ionosphere.

AFRL INTERN goals are to provide students with real world experience in a National Lab setting to improve knowledge of the physical processes in the geospace environment and improve forecasting and specification of solar activity in addition to thermospheric neutral densities and ionospheric irregularities and scintillations. Work may include validating, enhancing, or extending solar, ionospheric, or thermospheric models; investigating or applying data assimilation techniques; or developing/extending statistical or empirical models; and understanding the coupling between the solar corona and solar wind, the magnetosphere and ionosphere, the lower atmosphere and thermosphere/ionosphere, and the equatorial, middle latitude, and Polar Regions.

Want to know more or how to apply? Contact Barbara Ransom at NSF (bransom at nsf.gov). This opportunity falls under the recent NSF/Air Force Research Lab INTERN Dear Colleague Letter (https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2021/nsf21029/nsf21029.jsp).

16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16-16

RHESSI Nuggets in September 2021

From: Hugh Hudson (hugh.hudson at glasgow.ac.uk)

http://sprg.ssl.berkeley.edu/~tohban/wiki/index.php/RHESSI_Science_Nuggets

No. 416, “X-rays from a Type I Radio Burst,” by R. RAMESH. X-ray identification of the last remaining meter-wave burst type.

No. 417, “Manifold Nonthermality,” by Marina BATTAGLIA et al. Even weak events involve multple instances of nonthermality.

We welcome contributions to the RHESSI Nuggets, and the topics may wander some distance away from specifically RHESSI results if they are generally interesting. See http://sprg.ssl.berkeley.edu/~tohban/wiki/index.php/RHESSI_Science_Nuggets for these and others. Comments about specific flares can often be found by searching for their SOLyyyy-mm-dd identifier from this home page.

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately weekly. Back issues are available at:
http://lists.igpp.ucla.edu/pipermail/spa/

To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

NOTE: Due to the large number of SPA-related sessions at major conferences, the SPA Newsletter can no longer accept announcement requests for individual sessions at AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, or IAGA Meetings. Titles and web links (if available) of these sessions will be distributed in a special issue of the Newsletter before the abstract deadline.

SPA Web Site: http://spa.agu.org/

SPA Newsletter Editorial Team: Peter Chi (Editor), Guan Le (Co-Editor), Sharon Uy, Marjorie Sowmendran, and Kevin Addison