[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXIX, Issue 48

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Wed Aug 17 08:26:37 PDT 2022

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXIX, Issue 48
Aug.17,2022

Table of Contents

1. Reminder: Decadal White Papers Deadline

2. JOB OPENING: Faculty Position in Space Physics at Georgia Tech

3. JOB OPENING: IRF is Looking for a Postdoctoral Position in Space Physics

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Reminder: Decadal White Papers Deadline

From: Nicky Fox (nicola.j.fox at nasa.gov)

Helio friends –

As we enter the last few weeks of summer I want to call your attention to the rapidly approaching deadline to submit a white paper to help shape the next decade of solar and space physics. The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine are calling for white papers to inform the Decadal Survey for Solar and Space Physics (Heliophysics) 2024-2033. White papers may focus on one or more science goals; potential space-based, ground-based, and combined investigations; or issues of broad concern to the community. The due date for white papers is August 24, 2022.

The next Decadal will present a prioritized strategy of basic and applied research to advance scientific understanding in the full scope of heliophysics science. The Decadal Survey will also assess the health and vitality of the profession. View the statement of task here.

The heliophysics discipline looks incredibly different than it did 10 years ago. In the past decade, your vision and ideas have driven growth in new areas which historically may not be captured in the traditional definition of heliophysics. We’ve seen incredible expansion and a renewed national interest in space weather activities, space situational awareness, applications of the revolutionary new capabilities in artificial intelligence and machine learning, open science, and technology development. Together we’ve leveraged new modalities for science such as CubeSats, SmallSats, and Rideshare and expanded and leveraged partnerships with the commercial sector. These are just a few areas in which we’ve pushed beyond the traditional boundaries of heliophysics. And so, I encourage you to dream big and help continue pushing the envelope of what our discipline can achieve.

I am reminded of the Heliophysics 2050 Workshop in 2021 where you all came together to envision the future of our field. The expansion of this community has brought new perspectives and a diversity of backgrounds and thought, which will continue to make us stronger. The workshop was built to enable cross- and interdisciplinary connections, and it did just that, providing enormous momentum going into the 2024 Decadal Survey. My hope for the next Decadal Survey is to identify cutting-edge, interdisciplinary science problems that push the boundaries of what was previously thought possible in solar and space physics. Collaborating with the community at the Heliophysics 2050 Workshop was a crucial step toward realizing our innovative goals for the next Decadal Survey.

With your input, I hope this new Decadal will help guide our pursuit and enabling of groundbreaking investigations of the Sun, its interactions with the Earth, the Solar System, and interplanetary space, and connect heliophysics’ cross-cutting applications to other areas of emerging science. We can continue to collaborate with domestic and international partners to create innovative space missions and investigations that enable scientific discoveries and invest in breakthrough technologies that lead to the development of tools and capabilities benefiting society and exploration. I regularly remind people that everything the Sun touches is our discipline; we can do science anywhere! From “touching the sun” to supporting some of the first scientific investigations as part of Artemis on our return to the Moon and on to Mars, Heliophysics is everywhere. The result would be a globally interconnected heliophysics community that inspires discovery, advances scientific and technological achievements, and safeguards human life.

One final theme from Helio 2050 I want to revisit is the idea of unity. A unified Heliophysics Community is crucial as we move forward into the future. This theme was present in the science sessions as well as the community discussions. It was inspiring to hear so many diverse voices joining in the shared goal of defining the future of Heliophysics.

Together, we can do big, bold things, and this is the Decadal to do it. Our community is poised for exciting things and I hope you ensure your voice is heard.

There really has never been a better time to be a Heliophysicist.

#HelioRocks!

-Nicky

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

JOB OPENING: Faculty Position in Space Physics at Georgia Tech

From: Sven Simon (sven.simon at eas.gatech.edu)

The School of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences at Georgia Tech is hiring a new faculty member in the fields of planetary and space sciences. Applicants are considered at all ranks. The application deadline is 01 October. Details on the position can be found at

https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psc/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=03000&JobOpeningId=247894&PostingSeq=1

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

JOB OPENING: IRF is Looking for a Postdoctoral Position in Space Physics

From: The Swedish Institute of Space Physics (dgraham at irfu.se)

The Swedish Institute of Space Physics in Uppsala is looking for a postdoc for the investigations of kinetic plasma processes at Earth’s magnetopause and magnetotail. The work involves the analysis of magnetic, electric, and plasma measurements from the multi-spacecraft Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) mission.

Read more:
https://www.irf.se/en/news/2022/08/17/postdoctoral-position-in-space-physics-ref-2-2-1-293-22/

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately weekly. Back issues are available at:
http://lists.igpp.ucla.edu/pipermail/spa/

To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

NOTE: Due to the large number of SPA-related sessions at major conferences, the SPA Newsletter can no longer accept announcement requests for individual sessions at AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, or IAGA Meetings. Titles and web links (if available) of these sessions will be distributed in a special issue of the Newsletter before the abstract deadline.

SPA Newsletter Editorial Team: Peter Chi (Editor), Guan Le (Co-Editor), Sharon Uy, Marjorie Sowmendran, and Kevin Addison

AGU SPA Web Site: https://connect.agu.org/spa/home

SPA Leadership Team E-mail: spa.leadership.team at gmail.com