[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXIX, Issue 9

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Sun Feb 6 13:04:41 PST 2022

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXIX, Issue 9
Feb.06,2022

Table of Contents

1. Congratulations to Union Award and Honors Winners

2. Call for Decadal Survey White Papers on Solar and Geospace Data Systems

3. Heliophysics Data Environment

4. MEETING: Partially Ionised Plasmas in Astrophysics (PIPA2022)

5. MEETING: AGU Chapman Conference on Advances in Understanding Alfvén Waves in the Sun and the Heliosphere, Berlin, Germany, August 21–26, 2022 (first announcement)

6. MEETING: ML-Helio Conference: Registration Open (Early-bird Deadline 28th February)

7. Magnetosphere Online Seminar Series

8. Research Topic on "Sources and Propagation of Ultra-Low Frequency Waves in Planetary Magnetospheres" in Frontiers: Submission Deadline Approaching

9. 4 Open-access Space-physics Books Available

10. JOB OPENING: CIRES/ NOAA SWPC Space Weather Geoelectric Research Scientist

11. JOB OPENING: Staff Research Position at University of Arizona

12. JOB OPENING: Two Postdoctoral Positions Available at UCLA

13. JOB OPENING: Academic Positions in Solar and Space Physics at Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK

14. JOB OPENING: Designated Associate Professor/ Designated Assistant Professors at Institute for Space-Earth Environmental Research, Nagoya University

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Congratulations to Union Award and Honors Winners

From: Geoffrey Reeves (geoff at reevesresearch.org)

Previously I asked you to join me in congratulating winners of the SPA section awards for 2021 but neglected to include the winners of Union level awards who are also SPA members.

Union award winners are selected from nominees across all 25 sections of AGU. Please join me in congratulating these outstanding science and colleagues.

Jim Burch of Southwest Research Institute was awarded the William Bowie Medal which is AGU’s highest honor. It recognizes outstanding contributions to fundamental Earth and space science and for unselfish cooperation in research.

Jacob Bortnik of UCLA was awarded the Joanne Simpson Medal which recognizes significant contributions to Earth and space science by a mid-career scientist in any discipline.

Christofer Chen from Queen Mary University of London was awarded the James B. Macelwane Medal which recognizes significant contributions to Earth and space science by an early-career scientist.

Madhulika (Lika) Guhathakurta won AGU’s Ambassador Award for her work in NASA’s Heliophysics division. The Ambassador Award recognizes outstanding contributions to one or more of the following areas: societal impact, service to the Earth and space community, scientific leadership, and promotion of talent/career pool.

Roelf Du Toit Strauss from the North West University in South Africa won the Africa Award for Research Excellence in Space Science which recognizes an early career scientist from the African continent who’s work shows the focus and promise of making outstanding contributions to research in space science.

Again, please join me in congratulating our Union award and medal winners from 2021.

Geoff Reeves on behalf of the SPA leadership team

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Call for Decadal Survey White Papers on Solar and Geospace Data Systems

From: Tai-Yin Huang (thuang at nsf.gov)

The Geospace Section in the Division of Atmospheric and Geospace Sciences at NSF is leading an effort to create a Data Systems Program following the recommendation of the NSF Geospace Portfolio Review. The upcoming Solar and Space Physics Decadal Survey provides an excellent venue to put forward the community’s vision for what we can accomplish in the next ten years. The need for a better data systems infrastructure to serve the interconnected scientific communities has never been as urgent with the implementation of FAIR data principles gaining traction.  We strongly encourage the solar and geospace communities to contribute white papers on data systems; including topics identifying what is needed, what is missing, what challenges and obstacles exist, what opportunities are out there, and what resources are currently available or needed but not available.  White paper due dates will be announced by the National Academy of Sciences with an expectation for late spring or early summer.

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

Heliophysics Data Environment

From: David Sibeck (david.g.sibeck at nasa.gov)

Interested, curious, or worried about the state of Heliophysics Data Environment Management?  Now is your chance to comment and shape the path forward! Please respond to a request for information (RFI) to guide the future of NASA’s restructuring, expansion, and evolution of the Heliophysics data archiving infrastructure, currently known as the Heliophysics Data Environment (HPDE) and located at https://hpde.gsfc.nasa.gov.  The revised deadline for 5 page responses is February 28, 2022.  Input from a diverse array of early career investigators, educators, citizen scientists, and archivists, data experts, and user interface designers is particularly welcome.   To comment, please go to: https://go.nasa.gov/3DxpHPI

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

MEETING: Partially Ionised Plasmas in Astrophysics (PIPA2022)

From: Istvan Ballai (i.ballai at sheffield.ac.uk)

We invite abstracts for the forthcoming meeting on “Partially Ionised Plasmas in Astrophysics” (PIPA2022) that will take place in Budapest (Hungary) in the period 6-10 June, 2022. The meeting will take place in person.
The dynamics of partially ionized astrophysical plasmas is a relatively new and rapidly growing topic of research in various areas of astrophysics (solar lower atmosphere, interstellar medium, protostellar discs, planetary magnetospheres and ionospheres, etc). The meeting aims to broaden and strengthen the collaboration of scientists working in partially ionized plasmas in astrophysics and space science and to develop common scientific interest that could enhance cross-collaborations between the different fields.

The abstract submission (for oral or poster contributions) is open via the official conference website: http://astro.elte.hu/PIPA2022/

IMPORTANT DATES:
7th February 2022: Registration/Abstract submission starts
8th May 2022: Registration and Abstract submission deadline
6th June 2022: The start of the meeting

SOC:
Istvan Ballai (UK), Elena Khomenko (Spain), Ramon Oliver (Spain), Javier Ballesteros (Mexico), Turlough Downes (Ireland), Mario Flock (Germany), Patrick Hennebelle (France) , Ildar Shaikhislanov (Russia), Jeffrey Thayer (USA),LOC:

We hope to see you soon in Budapest!

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

From: Andreas Keiling, Ineke de Moortel (keiling at berkeley.edu)

This interdisciplinary conference aims to bring together scientists to review and discuss the current state of research on Alfvén waves in space plasmas, including the solar atmosphere, the solar wind, planetary magnetospheres and ionospheres, and laboratory plasmas (if relevant to space plasmas). The conference will take place in Berlin (in-person), one of the most iconic cities in Europe with a history of over 750 years, and one of the trendiest vacation destinations in Europe (to quote a couple of travel websites).

The following science sessions will be organized:

1.	Alfvén wave generation mechanisms
2.	Alfvén wave propagation and coupling
3.	Alfvén wave interactions with plasma and energetic particles
4.	Alfvén wave applications in solar system plasmas

The conveners are:
Andreas Keiling (UC Berkeley, USA)
Ineke de Moortel (University of St Andrews, UK)

The program committee includes:
Fran Bagenal (University of Colorado, USA)
George Clark (JHU/APL, USA)
Lyndsay Fletcher (University of Glasgow, UK)
David Knudsen (University of Calgary, Canada)
Petra Kohutova (university of Oslo, Norway)
Hermann Lühr (GeoForschungsZentrum, Germany)
Slava Pilipenko (Space Research Institute, Russia)
Ali Sulaiman (University of Iowa, USA)
Tom Van Doorsselaere (KU Leuven, Belgium)
Clare Watt (Northumbria University, UK)
Akimasa Yoshikawa (Kyushu University, Japan)

Further information about abstract submission, registration and conference hotel will be provided in a forthcoming conference website. Please check the AGU Chapman website regularly (www.agu.org/Plan-for-a-Meeting/AGUMeetings/Chapman-Conferences).

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

MEETING: ML-Helio Conference: Registration Open (Early-bird Deadline 28th February)

From: Enrico Camporeale (enrico.camporeale at noaa.gov)

The Machine Learning in Heliophysics (ML-Helio) conference will be held in hybrid mode (in-person and virtual) on March 21-25 in Boulder, CO.

The goal of the ML- Helio conference is to leverage the advancements happening in disciplines such as machine learning, deep learning, statistical analysis, system identification, and information theory, in order to address long-standing questions and enable a higher scientific return on the wealth of available heliospheric data.
The conference will consists of classic-style lectures, complemented by hands-on tutorials on Python tools and data resources available to the heliophysics machine learning community.

Registration is currently open and the early-bird deadline is on February 28th

For further information please look at https://ml-helio.github.io/

7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7

Magnetosphere Online Seminar Series

From: Homayon Aryan, David Sibeck, Kyle Murphy, et al. (magnetosphere.seminars at gmail.com)

We invite you to join us every Monday at 12pm (ET) for the weekly Magnetosphere Online Seminar Series.
 On Monday February 7, we will have our first Early Career Seminars:

— Leon Olifer will give a presentation on Space Radiation: How Bad Can It Get?
— Riley Troyer will give a presentation on Substorm Activity as a Driver of Energetic Pulsating Aurora

A link to join the seminar via Zoom or YouTube can be found on our home page:

https://msolss.github.io/MagSeminars/
The password to join the Zoom seminar is: Mag at 1

You can view the current 2021 schedule here:
https://msolss.github.io/MagSeminars/schedule.html

Add your name to our mailing list here:

https://msolss.github.io/MagSeminars/mail-list.html

Read about previous talks here:

https://msolss.github.io/MagSeminars/blog.html

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

From: Lucile Turc (lucile.turc at helsinki.fi)

Dear colleagues,

This is a reminder that the Research Topic on "Sources and Propagation of Ultra-Low Frequency Waves in Planetary Magnetospheres" is currently open for submissions to the Space Physics sections of the journals Frontiers in Physics and Frontiers in Astronomy and Space Sciences. This Research Topic aims at gathering publications presenting recent advances in ULF wave physics in our solar system.

The deadline for article submission is approaching, on March 1st.

We are looking forward to your contributions!

Research Topic Editors:
Lucile Turc, University of Helsinki, Finland
Kazue Takahashi, John Hopkins University, United States
Jasmine K. Sandhu, Northumbria University, United Kingdom
Martin Volwerk, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Austria

For more information, please visit:
https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/25409/sources-and-propagation-of-ultra-low-frequency-waves-in-planetary-magnetospheres

9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9

4 Open-access Space-physics Books Available

From: Joe Borovsky (jborovsky at spacephysics.org)

>From Frontiers, four open-access space-physics electronic books are available to download or view:

Machine Learning in Heliophysics
https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/10384/

Improving the Understanding of Kinetic Processes in Solar Wind and Magnetosphere: From CLUSTER to MMS
https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/9195/

Magnetic Flux Ropes: From the Sun to the Earth and Beyond
https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/8284/

Active Experiments in Space: Past, Present, and Future
https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/7937/

10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-10

JOB OPENING: CIRES/ NOAA SWPC Space Weather Geoelectric Research Scientist

From: George Millward (george.millward at noaa.gov)

The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CU CIRES) invites applications for a Research Scientist position at NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC). The successful applicant will work to advance SWPC’s ability to predict the dynamics of geomagnetic activity from space weather as it pertains to terrestrial impacts on the electrical power grid.
The position will require the ability to interact with operators and planners in the electrical power industry, specifically to communicate advances in SWPC’s space weather services and products, to educate this user community about how they are affected by space weather, and to engage with users to understand their needs and requirements for actionable space weather information.
For more information on the job and how to apply, please follow this link:

https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/?jobId=36610

11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11-11

JOB OPENING: Staff Research Position at University of Arizona

From: Federico Fraschetti (ffrasche at email.arizona.edu)

The Department of Planetary Sciences/Lunar & Planetary Laboratory at the University of Arizona invites applications for a Staff Research position in the field of space physics/astrophysics. The successful applicant will work in collaboration with Dr. Federico Fraschetti and Dr. Joe Giacalone. The department has an active research program in plasma astrophysics, heliophysics and theoretical astrophysics. The primary work is expected to be computational. The study includes modeling of in-situ spacecraft data at a variety of distances from the Sun to determine constraints on particle acceleration at shocks. In particular, the fraction of the shock energy that is converted into energizing charged particles will be analyzed. Substantial experience with spacecraft data is thus highly desirable for this position.
Interested and highly qualified candidates should apply at https://arizona.csod.com/ATS/JobRequisition/JobRequisition.aspx?id=8533. To ensure full consideration, applicants should submit a cover letter (1 page), Curriculum Vitae, a statement of research interest (1 page) highlighting past achievements and future plans (1 page) by February 10th 2022. They should also arrange for two letters of reference to be provided separately by the same date to the email address ffrasche at email.arizona.edu .
The successful applicant will be expected to conduct a competitive program of scientific research and write scientific articles for publication in peer reviewed journals. Applicants must have excellent communication and computing skills. The candidate will be encouraged to conduct collaborative research.

12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12-12

JOB OPENING: Two Postdoctoral Positions Available at UCLA

From: Anton Artemyev, Xin An, Xiaojia Zhang  (aartemyev at igpp.ucla.edu)

The Department of Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences at the University of California, Los Angeles (EPSS/UCLA) seeks two Postdoctoral Scholars. The positions will support research in Earth’s wave-particle interactions, magnetotail dynamics, magnetosphere-ionosphere coupling. The focus of these studies will be to conduct theory and observational studies of particles and fields (e.g. THEMIS, ELFIN, MMS, Van Allen Probes, ARTEMIS) in order to interpret and understand the underlying plasma physics involved. Therefore, the incumbent is expected to demonstrate experience with spacecraft data analysis and plasma physics theory.

The initial appointment will be for a 12-month period, with the possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory performance. Salary will follow standards for postdoctoral scholars and will scale with the incumbents’ experience. PhD in physics or related fields is required by the date of hire. Work is to be carried out in collaboration with Dr. Xin An, Dr. Xiaojia Zhang, Dr. Anton Artemyev and Prof. Vassilis Angelopoulos.

To apply, candidates should provide (a) a curriculum vitae, (b) cover letter, (c) statement of research (max 1 page), and (d) 3 references (including names and contact information).

Applications will be accepted via the UC Recruit website at https://recruit.apo.ucla.edu/JPF07233. Please apply by June 1, 2022 in order to ensure full consideration. The appointment is expected to start in June 2022, although exact start date is flexible.

Inquiries may be directed to Dr. Xin An (xinan at epss.ucla.edu), Dr. Anton Artemyev (aartemyev at igpp.ucla.edu) & Dr. Xiaojia Zhang (xjzhang at ucla.edu).

The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.

13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13-13

JOB OPENING: Academic Positions in Solar and Space Physics at Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK

From: Jonathan Rae (jonathan.rae at northumbria.ac.uk)

Professor / Associate Professor / Assistant Professor / Lecturer of Solar and Space Physics (Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK)

Deadline: 13th February 2022

Northumbria University is advertising for permanent appointments within its areas of research excellence, which includes Solar and Space Physics. These appointments are being made at every level and so we welcome applications for Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor or Lecturer of Solar and Space Physics. There is the possibility of multiple appointments.

You will join the Solar and Space Physics research group - a successful group pursuing high-international-priority research across the broad remit of Solar and Space Physics, based in the Department of Mathematics, Physics and Electrical Engineering. Evidence of the group’s success includes funding from STFC, NERC, Leverhulme Trust, Royal Astronomical Society, the US Air Force, UKSA, and three UKRI Senior Fellows. The group also plays multiple roles in the UKRI SWIMMR (Space Weather Instrumentation, Measurement, Modelling and Risk) programme in support of the UK Met Office. The group demonstrates international leadership across theory, numerical modelling, observations of solar and space plasma, data intensive science, and a growing reputation for space-related hardware. Our long-term research programme involves understanding all aspects of the solar-terrestrial connection and we are also interested in broadening our expertise to the study of plasma in all astrophysical systems.

Working with colleagues in the Department of Mathematics, Physics and Electrical Engineering, you will lead, collaborate on, and contribute to a range of activities that enhance research, teaching and entrepreneurial activities. This will include: undertaking individual and joint research; producing high-quality academic outputs; designing, developing and delivering high-quality teaching activities and; participating in external activity to generate income and promote your research area. We value applicants that display good academic citizenship including mentoring and supporting colleagues, promoting good practice across many aspects of academic life.

Our research group and Department is committed to a sustainable work-life balance. Applications for job-share, part-time and flexible working arrangements are welcomed and will be considered in line with business needs.  There is an awareness within the working culture of the Department that is conducive towards those with caring responsibilities and supporting flexible working conditions.

We particularly welcome hearing from applicants from historically under-represented groups.

To apply for this vacancy please visit https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/work-for-us/job-vacancies/academic-10971-academic-opportunities-in-areas-of-research-excellence .

Please state within your covering letter the research area (Solar and Space Physics) and role (Professor, Associate Professor, Assistant Professor or Lecturer) you would be interested in.

14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14-14

From: Yoshizumi Miyoshi (miyoshi at isee.nagoya-u.ac.jp)

The Center for Integrated Data Science (CIDAS), a center of the Institute for Space -Earth Environmental Research (ISEE), Nagoya University, has been established for the purpose of conducting research and development to realize advanced study on the space and solar-terrestrial system based on integrated analysis of various data and advanced computer simulations. CIDAS plays a role in the activities of ISEE as a joint research and utilization center. In particular, CIDAS aims to drive Heliospheric System Science by integrating different types of data, and conducts research and development through the development of an analysis software that combines the satellite data by JAXA with ground-based observation and simulation data. In cooperation with the Institute of Space and Astronautical Science (ISAS) and the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ), we will start the activities of the Heliospheric Science Center (HSC) project in FY2022. The HSC project will conduct comprehensive studies of the heliosphere based on the Solar Physics Satellite Hinode, the Magnetosphere Observation Satellite Geotail,the Geospace Exploration Satellite Arase, the Mercury Exploration Satellite Mio, and the High-Sensitivity Solar Ultraviolet Spectroscopy Satellite Solar-C (EUVST), and data obtained from related ground observations and numerical simulations/modeling by conducting high-level data processing and database, integrated analysis software.

In order to promote the activities of the HSC, ISEE seeks designated an associate professor and assistant professors who will play a central role in the HSC project for the development of new computational methods such as data-driven simulations, comparative analysis of observations and numerical experiments, development of new analysis methods based on the latest data science, development of tools for comprehensive analysis of the data, and development of database construction and data release. The successful candidates are expected to be motivated to promote research that integrates each of missions, to disseminate the new research environment to the research community through workshops, and to lead and promote the new research in heliospheric system science in cooperation with other researchers. The successful candidates are also expected to contribute to future satellite missions for the heliospheric system science through activities at CIDAS.

ISEE, Nagoya University: https://www.isee.nagoya-u.ac.jp/en/

Application deadline: 27 Feb. 2022 (23:00UTC)

The full job announcement can be found at https://en.nagoya-u.ac.jp/employment/upload_images/20220201_isee_en.pdf

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately weekly. Back issues are available at:
http://lists.igpp.ucla.edu/pipermail/spa/

To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

NOTE: Due to the large number of SPA-related sessions at major conferences, the SPA Newsletter can no longer accept announcement requests for individual sessions at AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, or IAGA Meetings. Titles and web links (if available) of these sessions will be distributed in a special issue of the Newsletter before the abstract deadline.

SPA Newsletter Editorial Team: Peter Chi (Editor), Guan Le (Co-Editor), Sharon Uy, Marjorie Sowmendran, and Kevin Addison

AGU SPA Web Site: https://connect.agu.org/spa/home

SPA Leadership Team E-mail: spa.leadership.team at gmail.com