[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXIX, Issue 69

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Wed Nov 23 20:38:20 PST 2022

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXIX, Issue 69
Nov.23,2022

Table of Contents

1. Fall AGU Dependent Care Support

2. How Your Donation to AGU Can Be Directed to SPA Initiatives

3. 3rd CGS Workshop Talks Available

4. Cold-Plasma Mini-GEM Focus Group Virtual Session on December 7th 11 AM-12:30 PM Eastern time

5. SPEDAS/PySPEDAS at the Mini-GEM Workshop in Chicago (December 11, 2022)

6. "Listening to Our World: Sonification Applications in Research, Education, and Outreach" Town Hall on December 12

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Fall AGU Dependent Care Support

From: Geoffrey Reeves (geoff at reevesresearch.org)

The SPA section continues to look for ways to reduce or remove barriers to participating in the Fall meeting and all of our professional activities.

Therefore we are happy to announce that we will once again be providing grants to help members arrange for alternative dependent care that will allow greater participation in the Fall AGU meeting. "Dependents" refers to people that you regularly care for. They do not need to be legal dependents. Awards are for a fixed amount ($500) rather than reimbursement for expenses. Applicants can be at any career stage but more funds are available for grants to students. Grants can support either in person or remote participation. For members attending in person, please note that there will be no on-site child care this year because of covid precautions. Please send questions to spa.leadership.team at gmail.com

The form to apply for SPA Dependent Care Grants is at
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc28lWN2JjUh3c14wwxs7J0YyXgVlDrEBqZGUlID5wANr30iA/viewform?usp=share_link

We look forward to seeing you in Chicago or on screen
Geoff Reeves & the SPA leadership team

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

How Your Donation to AGU Can Be Directed to SPA Initiatives

From: Geoffrey Reeves (geoff at reevesresearch.org)

Many of us donate to AGU around this time of year. If you are one of the people who choses to donate, please consider donating to the SPA section or an SPA fund. Donations to the AGU general fund get distributed across all 25 sections of AGU and do not directly support our section. Member donations to SPA make up the majority of our discretionary funds.Donations directly to SPA can be used for SPA-specific investments such as DEI registration wavers, student & early career events, caregiver awards, etc. that have no other source of funding.

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

3rd CGS Workshop Talks Available

From: Michael Wiltberger (wiltbemj at ucar.edu)

After the completion of our highly successful workshop the Center for Geospace Storms is pleased to announce that the talks and presentations are now available online at https://cgs.jhuapl.edu/workshop.  Unfortunately due to a technical issue not all the talks were recorded, but we do have all presentations available for your review.

The organizers would like to thank all the presenters and participants for their efforts and look forward to holding another workshop next year.

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

Cold-Plasma Mini-GEM Focus Group Virtual Session on December 7th 11 AM-12:30 PM Eastern time

From: Gian Luca Delzanno (delzanno at lanl.gov)

Dear Colleagues,

please mark your calendar for the Mini-GEM virtual session of the Cold Plasma Focus Group. The session will have two short scene-setting talks, one given by Phil Erickson on the role of the cold plasma in magnetosphere-ionosphere coupling, and the other given by Maria Usanova on energy exchange processes involving the cold plasma. The rest of the session will be devoted to open discussion on these two topics.

The session will be completely virtual and PLEASE NOTE THE UNUSUAL DAY/TIME:
** Dec. 7th 11 AM-12:30 PM Eastern time **

The zoom information will be provided ahead of the meeting on the Cold Plasma Focus Group webpage:
https://gem.epss.ucla.edu/mediawiki/index.php/FG:_The_Impact_of_the_Cold_Plasma_in_Magnetospheric_Physics

Sincerely,
Gian Luca Delzanno
on behalf of the Cold Plasma Focus Group leaders

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

SPEDAS/PySPEDAS at the Mini-GEM Workshop in Chicago (December 11, 2022)

From: Eric Grimes (egrimes at igpp.ucla.edu)

The SPEDAS development team invites you to an in-person tutorial/updates session we'll be holding at the mini-GEM Workshop in Chicago, on Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 11AM Central (room 3). We plan to share updates and show several new features in both IDL SPEDAS and PySPEDAS.

Users who are attending AGU, but unable to attend the mini-GEM tutorial, are encouraged to come by our talk and/or poster at AGU to interact with the team and learn more:

SH45B-07 - PySPEDAS New Capabilities and Development Roadmap
Thursday, 15 December 2022, 15:45 - 15:55 CST
McCormick Place - S403a (South, Level 4)

SH42E-2333 - Particle Tools in The Space Physics Environment Data Analysis System in Python (PySPEDAS)
Thursday, 15 December 2022, 07:00 - 10:30 CST
McCormick Place - Poster Hall, Hall - A (South, Level 3)

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

"Listening to Our World: Sonification Applications in Research, Education, and Outreach" Town Hall on December 12

From: Martin Archer (m.archer10 at imperial.ac.uk)

Join us on Monday, Dec 12th at 12:45pm US CST for our Town Hall, "Listening to Our World: Sonification Applications in Research, Education, and Outreach" in McCormick Place, S106b at this years AGU Fall Meeting. Sonification, the process of converting scientific data into sound, presents a viable alternative to data visualization that is ripe for exploration. It can render the data we collect more accessible, in particular to the blind or visually impaired, by harnessing the innate pattern recognition of the human auditory system.  In this session we will explore how sonification is being undertaken across geophysics and related fields in recent research, citizen science, education/communication, and outreach/public engagement projects and applications. We will showcase three projects in particular: The Volcano Listening Project, the Accessible Oceans Project, and the Heliophysics Audified Resonances in Plasmas (HARP) Project, and invite them to participate in a panel discussion. We welcome you to join us and learn more about this fascinating approach to data communication.

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately weekly. Back issues are available at:
http://lists.igpp.ucla.edu/pipermail/spa/

To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

NOTE: Due to the large number of SPA-related sessions at major conferences, the SPA Newsletter can no longer accept announcement requests for individual sessions at AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, or IAGA Meetings. Titles and web links (if available) of these sessions will be distributed in a special issue of the Newsletter before the abstract deadline.

SPA Newsletter Editorial Team: Peter Chi (Editor), Guan Le (Co-Editor), Sharon Uy, Marjorie Sowmendran, and Kevin Addison

AGU SPA Web Site: https://connect.agu.org/spa/home

SPA Leadership Team E-mail: spa.leadership.team at gmail.com