[SPA] SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER, Volume XXX, Issue 57

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Sun Oct 22 07:27:01 PDT 2023

AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION
SPA SECTION NEWSLETTER
Volume XXX, Issue 57
Oct.22,2023

Table of Contents

1. Provide Feedback to NSF on Antarctic Geospace Science Support by October 27

2. Ground-based Instruments over Africa

3. MEETING: 21st Annual International Astrophysics Conference, March 25-29, 2024, Turin, Italy -- Save the Date!

4. SHIELD Webinar: Lika Guhathakurta: “We are all Living Stars”;  November 17th, 2pm

5. RBSP Online Seminar 27 October 11:00 ET US

6. JOB OPENING: Tenure-Track Faculty Position in Space Sciences at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

7. JOB OPENING: Ph.D. Student in Atmosphere-Space Coupling at Stockholm University

Announcement Submission Website: http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Provide Feedback to NSF on Antarctic Geospace Science Support by October 27

From: Zhonghua Xu (zxu77 at vt.edu)

Dear all:

AGU is collecting feedback to provide to NSF on science support for Antarctica, including geospace/space weather research via this form (deadline Oct 27): https://tinyurl.com/acs83trj

This is in response to the dramatic reductions in logistical support for current and future Antarctic experiments (https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2023/nsf23117/nsf23117.jsp?org=NSF).

If you operate or plan to operate instruments in Antarctica, assimilate Antarctic data into your models (e.g., obtained via databases such as MADRIGAL or SuperMAG), or otherwise require southern hemisphere measurements for your data analysis and modeling, please consider responding to this form. Custom responses are preferred, but please also feel free to use this sample text under the “Please describe the impact of NSF’s announcement on your science…”:

“Antarctica is an essential Earth-based region for achieving an understanding of geospace phenomena and physical processes in Earth’s polar regions. Only on Antarctica can the highest geographic and geomagnetic regions of Earth be reached and studied with instruments.   Without frontier measurements in Antarctica – and theory and models derived from such measurements – comprehensive understanding of Earth’s upper atmosphere and ionosphere (space weather around Earth) would not only be incomplete, but would be impossible to achieve.”

Thank you for your support!

Best regards,
Zhonghua Xu, Mike Hartinger, and Hyomin Kim

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Ground-based Instruments over Africa

From: Olu Jonah, Lindsay Goodwin (lindsay.v.goodwin at njit.edu)

SRI is proposing to establish a network of semi-autonomous precision GNSS stations filling the largely unexplored area along the geomagnetic equatorial and low-latitude regions over the African continent.  The stations will be sourced in the USA and deployed through a collaboration with UN regional center in Nigeria.  Wherever possible, individual stations will be hosted by local academic institutions who will also participate in the use of the collected data for academic and technical training and research. If you live or work in any of the countries shown in the map (see link) or are interested in this network of GNSS receivers (also known as CONGA) for your future research, please take a minute to complete the form at: https://forms.gle/g3XHKARPwkwBbjGH6 and feel to send email to Olu Jonah at olu.jonah at sri.com for any further questions.

Thanks for your time.
Olu Jonah and Lindsay Goodwin

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

MEETING: 21st Annual International Astrophysics Conference, March 25-29, 2024, Turin, Italy -- Save the Date!

From: Gary P. Zank (garyp.zank at gmail.com)

FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT:  We are pleased to announce that the 21st Annual International Astrophysics Conference will be held for the first time internationally in Turin, Italy at the AC Hotel Torino, from March 25-29, 2024 (Welcome Reception and Evening Registration begins Sunday, March 24).

The theme for the 21st AIAC is “Bracketing the Solar Wind: The Physics of its Initiation and Termination.” We will select 25-minute presentations punctuated by selected 40-minute invited talks that will enhance both the theme and scope of the meeting.

Please save the date! More information will be available soon.

E-mail inquiries about the meeting should be directed to Gary Zank at garyp.zank at gmail.com.

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

SHIELD Webinar: Lika Guhathakurta: “We are all Living Stars”;  November 17th, 2pm

From: Nicholas Gross (gross at bu.edu)

Please join us on Nov. 17th, 2pm for the next SHIELD Webinar:
Lika Guhathakurta: “We are all Living Stars”
Registration Link: https://bostonu.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_gSlfyiJKSRS6PHknV9-JYA

Dr. Madhulika Guhathakurta is a Senior Advisor for New Initiatives, Heliophysics, for NASA Goddard Space Flight Center and a Program Scientist at NASA Headquarters. For the past two decades, Dr. Guhathakurta has enabled the development of Heliophysics as an integrated scientific discipline from which fundamental discoveries about our universe provide direct societal benefits. She was the lead for the Living With a Star (LWS) program for 16 years since its initiation in 2000 she made possible the flagship missions (e.g. the Solar Dynamics Observatory, Van Allen Probes, Solar Orbiter Collaboration with European Space Agency and Parker Solar Probe), many other missions, including STEREO that would revolutionize our understanding of how the Sun shapes space weather in the solar system.

To nurture the next generation of leaders in Heliophysics, she created the Jack Eddy Fellowship Program which has become an important channel for the professional growth of promising researchers. She is the recipient of many national and international awards, including India’s Most Powerful Women” for 2020, Business Today, India, Baron Marcel Nicolet Medal for Space Weather and Space Climate, 2020 and American Geophysical Union Ambassador Award, 2021.

For more information visit: https://shielddrivecenter.com/shield-webinars/

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

RBSP Online Seminar 27 October 11:00 ET US

From: Sasha Ukhorskiy (ukhorskiy at jhuapl.edu)

Next RBSP online seminar will be held on 27 October 2023, 11:00 ET US (one hour earlier than our usual time) on the topic of 2022 Heliophysics SMEX Concepts recently selected by NASA into Phase A. We will hear from Robyn Millan on Cross-scale Investigation of Earth’s Magnetotail and Aurora (CIMEMA) and Mile Liemohn on Magnetospheric Auroral Asymmetry Explorer (MAAX).

For Zoom and YouTube streaming details please goto: https://sites.google.com/view/rbsp/home

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

JOB OPENING: Tenure-Track Faculty Position in Space Sciences at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

From: Shasha Zou (shashaz at umich.edu)

The Department of Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering (CLaSP) in the College of Engineering at the University of Michigan (UM) in Ann Arbor invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position with expertise in the broad space sciences and space weather area, spanning from heliosphere to ionosphere-thermosphere sciences; both for science investigations and for space weather forecast and impact applications.

The CLaSP department welcomes expertise in the areas of experimental/observational (satellite or ground-based instrumentation) research, theoretical research and numerical modeling, and data-driven research (including machine learning). We are especially interested in candidates who can bridge and strengthen our existing research and teaching portfolio in space sciences and engineering. Although the position is open to all ranks, we especially seek candidates at the Assistant Professor level.

We look for candidates capable of developing an internationally recognized research program, successfully competing for external funding, mentoring undergraduate and doctoral students, participating in our educational mission and programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, and positively contributing to the culture, diversity, and collaborative nature of the department, college, and university.

Applications should include: (1) cover letter, (2) CV, (3) research statement, (4) teaching statement, (5) a statement describing activities, contributions, or plans related to supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion, (6) and a list of four references with contact details. Desired Qualifications: Experience in experimental, observational or computational space sciences and space weather research. A PhD in a subject related to space sciences or other relevant disciplines in sciences or engineering is required by the time of the appointment. For full consideration, applications should be received by November 1, 2023. Please contact the search committee chair Prof. Shasha Zou (shashaz at umich.edu) if you have any questions.

How to apply:
https://deptapps.engin.umich.edu/facultycandidate/apply?dept=224000&searchID=41

More information can be found at:
https://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/239875/asstassocfull-professor

7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7

JOB OPENING: Ph.D. Student in Atmosphere-Space Coupling at Stockholm University

From: Linda Megner (linda at misu.su.se)

The Department of Meteorology at Stockholm University is seeking a Ph.D. student to become part of our MATS satellite team. The Swedish MATS satellite (Mesospheric Airglow/Aerosol Tomography and Spectroscopy) was launched in November 2022. The aim of the mission is to investigate atmospheric gravity waves. These waves efficiently connect the Earth’s high atmosphere (the mesosphere) to our nearest space environment (the lower thermosphere). The main instrument on MATS is a telescope that images the mesosphere / lower thermosphere in several wavelength channels in order to determine the properties of atmospheric gravity waves.

In close collaboration with other members of the MATS team, the doctoral student will analyse data in relation to atmospheric dynamics and space environment properties. A central aim is to better understand the interactions between atmosphere and space.

The Ph.D. student position concerns full-time employment for a period of four years. Please find details and information about the application process at
https://www.su.se/english/about-the-university/work-at-su/available-jobs/phd-student-positions-1.507588?rmpage=job&rmjob=21953&rmlang=UK .

For more information about the project, please contact Linda Megner, linda at misu.su.se.

The application deadline is November 3, 2023.

The AGU Space Physics and Aeronomy (SPA) Section Newsletter is issued approximately weekly. Back issues are available at:
http://lists.igpp.ucla.edu/pipermail/spa/

To request announcements for distribution by the newsletter, please use the online submission form at:
http://goo.gl/forms/qjcm4dDr4g

To subscribe to the newsletter, please go to the web page at:
(Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

NOTE: Due to the large number of SPA-related sessions at major conferences, the SPA Newsletter can no longer accept announcement requests for individual sessions at AGU, AOGS, COSPAR, EGU, or IAGA Meetings. Titles and web links (if available) of these sessions will be distributed in a special issue of the Newsletter before the abstract deadline.

SPA Newsletter Editorial Team: Peter Chi (Editor), Guan Le (Co-Editor), Marjorie Sowmendran, and Kevin Addison

AGU SPA Web Site: https://connect.agu.org/spa/home

SPA Leadership Team E-mail: spa.leadership.team at gmail.com