[W6YRA] BNC >> SMA for handhelds

Ryan Caron rcaron at igpp.ucla.edu
Sun May 18 23:40:02 PDT 2014

Some of you have already heard my rant about SMA-based antennas. If not,
http://blog.g4ilo.com/2010/07/sma-failure.html sums it up nicely.

For those of you with SMA-F radios (Baofeng) I've bought a lot of these
adapters http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00CVQK466 for you to use once you
outgrow the stock antennas. They should arrive in a week or two.

Those who went on the Joshua Tree trip have already encountered the
limitations of the stock antennas, and you may already be looking at
replacing them. However, many/most of the SMA-F antennas out there are
also of similarly low performance & quality. I'll follow this email up
with some BNC antenna recommendations.

For those with SMA-M radios (Yaesu, Kenwood, etc), I've ordered some
http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00CVQL14A

73,
NX1U