[W6YRA] Yagi building tonight!

Ryan Caron rcaron at igpp.ucla.edu
Thu Nov 5 10:40:02 PST 2015

I'm happy to report that we finally have enough 3D printed parts for one
complete yagi, and most of a 2nd. Next week I'll have the rest of the
2nd done, and probably a 3rd complete set.

These parts will let you adapt what you've already made into retractable
yagis http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:268091 I have new 1/2" PVC
segments (2ft long) and #8 hardware.

For those interested in 3D printing, I've been hampered by filament
jamming issues. Turns out our printer is heating the PLA up to 210C when
it really should be around 186C. So it gets extra gooey and jams.
Speeding up the filament flow rate (bigger layers, faster motion) helps
a little and has gotten me to this point, but it is a gamble. There's
probably enough wasted plastic in the trash for another 3 complete sets
- but I have a mod coming in the mail today to reduce nozzle temperature.

73,
NX1U

Ryan Caron
Associate Development Engineer
UCLA - Institute of Geophysics & Planetary Physics
Tel 310-267-0696   |   Cell 603-801-8233