[W6YRA] rocket & balloon tracking

Ryan Caron rcaron at igpp.ucla.edu
Sat Sep 24 18:17:52 PDT 2016

W6YRA, Rockets, BSpacers, etc.

Been thinking about the new projects coming up, and their radio needs.
Please forward this along to anyone I missed.

Balloon beacon
----------
I'm really liking the Tracksoar for the balloon. It is very light, and
low output power (300mW), which is fine for balloon's link path and
ideal for minimizing battery weight & long run times. It also uses a
longer VHF antenna, which is easy for a balloon to accommodate.
https://www.tracksoar.com/product/tracksoar-ready-to-fly/

Rocket beacon
---------
The tracksoar is tempting for rockets. Its lower frequency and
relatively high output power is tempting, given that they can be so hard
to recover. However, you just can't fit a descent VHF antenna inside the
nosecone, and sticking out of the airframe, or dangling on the chute
lines presents its own challenges. But it has been done before and I can
help you work through these challenges if you want.

However, you've traditionally opted for UHF transmitters housed within
fiberglass/plastic sections, and you do still have the purple Arrow
yagis. While Tracksoar technically offers UHF variants as their
"international" option, they are extremely low power (10mW). If you
decide to stick with UHF you'd be better off with another 100mW 70cm
BeeLine GPS
http://www.bigredbee.com/zc139/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=207

Other telemetry
-----------------
The rocket payload, and maybe the balloon, may want to send down other
data. The tracksoar has some expandability options, but probably limited
to what can fit within an APRS frame. For more stuff, I think the
RFM22/69 or new LoRa modules provide the needed functionality. But,
given their high bandwidth and low power levels, they'll only work while
the vehicle is in the air.

Backup foxhunt beacon
-----------------------
Both balloon and rocket may also be well served by having a simple
beacon (no GPS, just tones) as a backup - I liked the UHF Kit we tried
on the rocket in April http://fmtv.us/rf_beacon.html

Aerial digipeter
-----------------
No transmitter does particularly well when just a couple inches from the
ground though. We did discuss the idea of having a lofted balloon
digipeat the position of a landed rocket. I think this is probably best
done with a small 2m/70cm HT (UV-3R), a Mobilinkd, and possibly an
Android phone (Samsung Galaxy Centura) if the Mobilinkd can't digipeat
standalone. I already have all the pieces to put this together.

As shown at the rocket competition this summer, this can be readily done
by a balloon. However, it doesn't have to be, and I think there is merit
doing this from a quadcopter, since they're easier to recover, and you
shouldn't only need a few minutes in the air to receive the position of
the landed rocket. If you don't get it, you go in the general direction
of the rocket until you do.

Even though UAS are limited to visual range and 400' AGL I think this
still quite the perch to hear from. Depending on the nature of the FAA
waiver at the launch site even higher may be possible - but I think
visual range is still required.

73,
NX1U

--