[W6YRA] local shops for mobile installs? (thru-roof NMO)

Ryan Caron rcaron at igpp.ucla.edu
Thu Nov 9 09:32:28 PST 2017

Bruin hams,

I'm finally ready to graduate beyond mag mounts, but since I don't have
time to take apart my car myself I'd like to have someone drill &
install an NMO mount on my roof. Is this something a auto audio shop can
do? Or does this require a commercial mobile comm shop now? Does anyone
have suggestions for shops that are still ham-friendly?

They would have to remove the headliner and feed the coax down the
passenger pillar (the radio will be under the passenger seat). While the
headliner is down, I'd like to include other upgrades like dashcam &
rear dashcam, and maybe some soundproofing (Foresters are loud). I'm
also tempted to have multiple NMOs installed for later upgrades, along
with wifi/cellular/GPS, but I also don't want to turn my car into a
porcupine...

According to http://www.k0bg.com/options.html the best way to
drill/machine the 3/4" hole is with a RotoBroach so I'd like to make
sure they use & are familiar with that tool or equivalent. Obviously
doing a good job on water/weatherproofing is important.

73,
Ryan
NX1U