[W6YRA] Joining the club

Brent Corbin corbin at physics.ucla.edu
Thu Jul 2 12:48:07 PDT 2020

Hi Jim -

I was trying to keep Ryan's name out of it, but - yeah - he's the one
who let Bruin Space borrow and eventually take over the space.  I tried
to rein-in the situation a couple of years ago (including changing the
door-code and requiring that BSpace only use the shack under
supervision), they went behind our back and we received an email from
Engineering placing the shack under supervision of their advisor.  Rules
were put in place, but - with the exception of removing the couch - they
were all ignored.  I asked Ryan to intervene and nothing happened.  Gear
was tampered with, crap was piled up on our operating positions. The
last straws for me were when they disassembled the computer we had
rebuilt to run the flex SDR and scattered the pieces all over the shack
and disabled the internet connection to the echolink controller on the
repeater.

I'm in Physics, and the email I received in 2018 made it clear
engineering saw this as THEIR space.  (They passed a rule the next year
stating that advisors for engineering clubs need to be in the
engineering department, so they probably think YRA is an engineering
club. hi)

Anyway - what are the chances the building manager would be supportive,
and how likely would engineering be to accede?  This really needs to be
taken care of once and for all.   (Though, possibly, after the virus
blows through and we're allowed back on campus 8*) ).  This was once,
and could be, again, one hell of a resource for faculty, staff and
students...

Thanks for checking in, good to hear from you again Jim, it's been a
long time.  Stay well and 73...     //Brent wy6s