[IGPP Everyone] Esposito seminar and the Heating/Freezing stage anniversary

John Wasson jtwasson at ucla.edu
Tue Feb 3 08:54:45 PST 2015

Geocheminar

Slichter 3843

12 noon, 3 Feb 2015

Dr. Rosario Esposito

EPSS, UCLA

The 30th anniversary of the Heating/Freezing stage at EPSS UCLA

An overview on the use of the fluid/melt inclusion technique to answer
geological questions

Fluid and melt inclusions are small aliquots of fluid trapped by minerals
during growth in a variety of geological settings from ocean basin to the
asteroid belt out into the space. Ideally, the host mineral acts as a
protecting capsule from the external chemical/physical variations, and thus,
fluid and melt inclusions can track the geochemical evolution of a rock
prior to its formation. Since the first description of fluid and melt
inclusions by Sorby (1858), many researchers have applied the fluid and melt
inclusion technique to answer geological relevant questions. For this
Geocheminar, I will review the basis of the petrography and the
microthermometry analyses based on fluid and melt inclusions.

Please come a few minutes early for some refreshments as we celebrate the
30th Anniversary.