[IGPP Everyone] Space Physics Seminar, Friday Feb. 6th: The Earth’s Magnetosphere and Self-Control (B. Walsh, UCB SSL)

Emmanuel V. Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Wed Feb 4 08:37:32 PST 2015

If you would like to meet with Dr. Walsh on Friday, he is available 10-12 and 1-3pm, please contact Emmanuel to set up an appointment: emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu . Grad students and researchers are encouraged to attend lunch with our guest, meet at Slichter 2712 11:50am on Friday.

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

(EPSS M288A, AOS M275A )

Brian Walsh

UC Berkeley SSL

The Earth’s Magnetosphere and Self-Control

Abstract:

Magnetic reconnection is a primary process through which energy is transferred through the Earth’s magnetopause. Conditions both in the incident solar wind and in the magnetosphere have been suggested to be important in determining the efficiency of energy coupling. In particular, the cold, dense plasmaspheric plume could substantially limit the coupling due to magnetopause reconnection. Using in-situ measurements from the THEMIS spacecraft and ground-based Total Electron Content maps we investigate the role of the plasmasphere in controlling magnetic reconnection and solar wind-magnetosphere coupling.

Friday, February 6th, 2015

Room 6704 Geology

3:30 - 5:00 PM

Refreshments served after the seminar in Room 6850.

In-Charge
V. Angelopoulos