[IGPP Everyone] AOS270 Seminar Wed. Jan. 28th 3:30pm: System Science Approach to Studying the Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere (MIT) Coupling (S. Zou, U. Mich.)

Emmanuel V. Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Tue Jan 27 08:55:10 PST 2015

Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences Seminar

AOS270

Shasha Zou

University of Michigan

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

3:30 PM to 4:30 PM

MSB 7124

“ System Science Approach to Studying the Magnetosphere-Ionosphere-Thermosphere (MIT) Coupling: Ionospheric Storms as an Example ”

Abstract

The solar wind, magnetosphere, ionosphere and thermosphere together form an integrated system at Earth, which is driven predominantly by the transfer of mass, momentum and energy from the Sun to the near-Earth space. This complex system is characterized by coupling and feedback as well as preconditioning and memory. The impact of solar wind driving on geospace is of particular importance during the most severe geomagnetic disturbances, i.e., storms. In this presentation, I will use ionospheric storms as an example to demonstrate a system science approach to studying the magnetosphere-ionosphere-thermosphere (MIT) coupling. During geomagnetic storms, the ionospheric plasma density increases dramatically in the dayside mid-latitude region forming the so-called Storm-Enhanced Density (SED). SED can extend to higher latitude as a plume-like structure and occasionally be transported into the polar cap and the nightside auroral zone, where it constitutes an important seed population for intense ion outflow that can potentially produce significant global impact on the magnetosphere. I will discuss in detail the journey of the SED plasma, including its generation and decay, its interaction with the dayside cusps and fate in the polar cap. I will also discuss the near-future unprecedented opportunities and long-term plans to study MIT coupling.