[IGPP Everyone] AOS Seminar - Wednesday

Brown, Carlene cbrown at epss.ucla.edu
Mon Jul 25 10:55:46 PDT 2016

Please join us for an AOS Seminar, Wednesday July 27, 2016 with Johnny Lin!

University of California, Los Angeles

Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences

AOS Seminar

Date: Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Time: 1:00- 2:00 PM

Location: MSB 7124A

Johnny Lin
University of Washington-Bothell
North Park University

" Dynamic data structures and first-class citizens: Python features that can make data analysis more flexible and powerful"

Python is an open-source, multi-paradigm, interpreted programming language that can be used in everything from back-end processes like webservices to file and data management, visualization, analysis, and modeling.  It works great as a traditional procedural language, and in that mode, can do all the atmospheric and oceanic sciences work we desire.  But if we use just a few more of its features---dynamic data structures like dictionaries and how any object (even functions) have the same status---we can make our data analysis code substantially more flexible and powerful.  In this talk/tutorial, we provide an example of such data analysis code and also briefly discuss implications for how models are constructed.

Allison Kentfield Torres
Academic Personnel Coordinator/ Administrative Analsyt
UCLA Department of Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences
(310) 825-1217 | atorres at atmos.ucla.edu<mailto:atorres at atmos.ucla.edu>
Working Hours: 6:45am-3:45pm