[IGPP Everyone] [EPSS Everyone] EPSS Computing Update April 20

SALYARDS, STEPHEN salyards at epss.ucla.edu
Thu Apr 20 14:52:15 PDT 2017

Greetings,

I have two items I want to update you on and one resource to pass along this week:

New printer in 4691
As some of you are aware, the students in particular, we have a new laser printer in the main computer lab in 4691 Geology. While the previous one was still making plain prints fairly well, enough springs and hooks had broken that we decided it was time to replace it. If you are printing from the computer labs the print spool and the drivers have been automatically updated. If you are not using the lab spool you will need to update your printer drivers.

There are some important plusses and minuses to the new printer.
Plusses: With the new printer we have added a couple of useful new features. First, the double sided printing is now automatic if chosen from the dialog box. Second, the new printer is significantly larger and will print on up to 11x17 tabloid sheets for some of the mapping and presentation needs.

Minuses: The new printer is not quite as rugged as the last one so we ask that you treat it with care. (Not that you didn't treat the last one that way.) In particular, please be gentle as you open and close the paper trays as the rails are a little more sensitive. Speaking of paper trays, the internal tray does have a smaller capacity so it will need to be filled more frequently. Finally, you will notice that it prints a little bit slower.

If you have problems transitioning to the new printer please check with Jason or myself for help.

Monday April 24 - training session in 4691 Geology
This coming Monday we are hosting a training workshop for the College of Letters and Sciences in the Main Computer Lab. There are no EPSS classes in the lab that day so it will not interfere with regular instruction. There will be about 5-10 computers in use with guided instruction by the college's trainers. EPSS users are welcome to use the other computers but realize the training will be going on. If you prefer to work in the Basement lab please check with me.

Security Resource
One of the hot topics in IT Security the past couple of weeks has been Virtual Private Networks (VPN). This is due to the recent legislation in Washington, D.C., that appears to make it easier for ISP's to market your usage data for commercial gain. If you are working on campus UCLA is your ISP and does not do that.

Many of you are probably familiar with VPN's to the extent that it is a way to connect to campus and partake of the campus services. If you want more information on VPN's from a good neutral source, EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) has provided a good web page that explains more about them and their benefits and cautions.
https://ssd.eff.org/en/module/choosing-vpn-thats-right-you