[IGPP Everyone] [EPSS Everyone] Phishing emails - coming in and going out

SALYARDS, STEPHEN salyards at epss.ucla.edu
Thu Jul 20 07:49:47 PDT 2017

Good morning,
   Many of you noticed and forwarded to me an email from the Mail Team about an unsuccessful login to your UCLA account from an unknown device. As with all of these, a suspicious email from a non-UCLA source (mine came from Italy) that asks you to click on a link that goes who knows where to verify your account. Thanks for not clicking and deleting.

Regarding the flood of phishing emails that are going out with our department name on them, the info we have so far is that they are originating from a laptop connected to the med center (although not necessarily present on campus). So far no email has been identified as originating from our network even though it says @epss.ucla.edu. All information we are collecting is being forwarded on to the Network Operations Center as they work to locate and shut down the infected computer.

Thanks
Steve