[IGPP Everyone] [EPSS Everyone] Cybersecurity update

SALYARDS, STEPHEN salyards at epss.ucla.edu
Mon May 15 08:37:48 PDT 2017

Greetings,
  An update to my email on Friday regarding the ransomware attack that continues across the globe.

First, to be clear to everyone, this is an attack on Windows machines only and those of you with other operating systems don't need to get nervous about this one. But the recommendations to have an anti-virus program and keep your computer's operating system up to date apply to everyone.

Second, let me correct a piece of information I had in Friday's email. I said that you had to open an attachment to get this. Turns out that was incorrect information I got and this virus spreads across the networks without any action on your part. It appears that it is based on the vulnerability I have discussed before that Microsoft patched back in March and that we block at our EPSS firewall.

One important, and telling, development over the weekend is that Microsoft has issued a patch for their old, and retired, Windows XP operating system. If you are still running XP please run Windows Update right away to get this patch in place.

One other piece of information I have seen, and which I am looking to verify in a technical update, is that Windows 10 is not vulnerable. While interesting and likely, I would still treat this as rumor and just be sure that your Windows 10 systems are up to date as well.

There are a lot of interesting technical details about this attach that I won't bore you with. When I find a good compilation of some of this information I will pass that along.

For now, please be aware that the attack continues. Some companies and institutions have taken their operations off-line until they know they are secure. Please be sure your operating system and anti-virus is up to date.

Thanks for your help
Steve Salyards