[IGPP Everyone] [EPSS Everyone] EPSS Computing Update - Mac Bug

SALYARDS, STEPHEN salyards at epss.ucla.edu
Wed Nov 29 10:16:49 PST 2017

Greetings,

   Thanks to everyone for being proactive about the transition to Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA). In general it seems that things went rather smoothly and we have only had a few post-transition issues.

The biggest best practice that I would emphasize is that you have multiple methods of authentication set up if possible. In particular, if your only method (or methods) of providing the second verification on login is your cell phone - be it the DUO app, text message and/or phone call - you should seriously consider adding a second phone number if possible. We have had a few cases where the cell phone was not available due to a variety of causes and the person had no way to access their account until a redundant method was established. So seriously look at what you might do for a Plan B.

And related to that, we do have a few hardware keys available if you would like to go that route.

Mac Bug
This is one of those rare cases where I get to tell the Windows, Linux, ChromeOS and Android users that they can stop reading now and go back to what they were doing. This also applies to any Mac users who are not running the latest version - High Sierra.

If you are running High Sierra (10.13) the tech world very strongly recommends that you update your system with the latest patch as soon as you can. There is a vulnerability which permits someone to directly log onto the computer as root under certain circumstances. Believe me, this is not a good thing. Apple has released a patch for this so please install that patch.

For a bit more information here is a brief article from Ars Technica
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/11/new-security-update-fixes-macos-root-bug/

Thanks for your help with all of these
Steve