[IGPP Everyone] [EPSS Everyone] Multi-factor authentication

SALYARDS, STEPHEN salyards at epss.ucla.edu
Tue Sep 19 15:14:23 PDT 2017

Good Afternoon,
   As we begin using the Multi-factor Authentication (MFA) for the UCLA Single Sign On we are accumulating some interesting information, tips and best practices which we will compile and send out to everyone in the next week or two. As you begin using the MFA and have any suggestions to contribute we would welcome the input.

>From people's experiences today we wanted to pass along a couple of important pieces of information about the DUO smartphone app. This is the preferred method of authenticating your logon and those that are using it report a generally good experience. It is not the most lightweight piece of software, talking up 34 MB on your device (at least in Android). But one thing to be aware of is by setting it up on your phone it will automatically initialize the MFA option with UCLA without any warning. So be aware that when you install and configure it you have committed to MFA.

The second item I wanted to clarify relates to the eduroam wifi system. While that uses your UCLA Logon credentials it authenticates against a different server system so if you move your regular logon to MFA your eduroam logon will remain the same.

Hope that helps. We will keep you posted with important updates.
Take care
Steve Salyards