[IGPP Everyone] Today - Spring Quarter - Space Physics Seminar - Fri. April 2, 2021 - 3:30pm - Space Flight Magnetometry at UCLA - A Personal Perspective (R. J. Strangeway, UCLA)

Marjorie Sowmendran margie at igpp.ucla.edu
Fri Apr 2 08:43:47 PDT 2021

R E M I N D E R - T O D A Y

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

Join Zoom Meeting
https://ucla.zoom.us/j/96663537686?pwd=bXVLSVFrU2g5T0dsU2lMQTFtOW5yUT09
Meeting ID: 966 6353 7686; Passcode: 981246

“Space Flight Magnetometry at UCLA - A Personal Perspective”

Robert J. Strangeway
Department of Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences
University of California, Los Angeles

The past, present, and future of the space magnetometry group are reviewed from a personal perspective. The late Prof. Paul Coleman brought space magnetometry to UCLA in the 1960s. In the 1970s Prof. Christopher T. Russell became the lead for the magnetometry group, with magnetometers on the International Sun -Earth Explorers 1 and 2 and the Pioneer Venus Orbiter. These highly successful missions led to others, such as Polar and the Fast Auroral Snapshot Small Explorer (FAST) in the 1990s. Dr. Richard Elphic was the instrument lead for FAST, but I took over after he took a position at the Los Alamos National Laboratory. Through FAST I became interested in magnetosphere-ionosphere coupling, a research area that I still work in today . FAST also brought me into the instrument side of Space Physics, where I helped with pre-launch integration and test, and post launch in-flight calibration and data production. After FAST, I led an effort to build a small mass fluxgate magnetometer for the Space Technology 5 technology demonstration project (ST5). The sensor design became the prototype for the magnetometers flown on Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS). I managed the day-to-day engineering activities in the fabrication of the MMS magnetometers, as well as contributing to the post-launch calibration and data production activities. The MMS-style sensor is the basis of the fluxgate magnetometers currently being built for the Europa Clipper mission (a NASA flagship mission) and the Tandem Reconnection And Cusp Electrodynamics Reconnaissance Satellites (TRACERS), for which I am the UCLA Principal Investigator. These magnetometers also benefit from the development work used for Prof. Russell's magnetometer on the Mars lander InSight. In closing I will also briefly describe some of the scientific investigations carried out using UCLA magnetometers.

Friday, April 2, 2020
3:30 - 5:00 PM

In-Charge: C. T. Russell