[IGPP Everyone] Reminder - Friday - Spring Quarter - Space Physics Seminar - Fri. April 9 , 2021 - 3:30pm -

Marjorie Sowmendran margie at igpp.ucla.edu
Wed Apr 7 16:43:42 PDT 2021

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

Join Zoom Meeting

https://ucla.zoom.us/j/96663537686?pwd=bXVLSVFrU2g5T0dsU2lMQTFtOW5yUT09

Meeting ID: 966 6353 7686; Passcode: 981246

Electron Only Reconnection

Mark Hubbert
Department of Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences
University of California, Los Angeles

The Earth’s magnetotail contains a current sheet separating the anti-Sunward field of the southern lobe from the sunward-pointing northern lobe. Herein, we report tail current sheets that are supported only by electron currents. We examine 19 electron-only current sheets and 154 traditionally reconnecting current sheets in detail. Three current sheets are interpreted in terms of the time-evolution of reconnection onset. These events display a transition from a pre-reconnection current sheet to a traditional “electron-ion” reconnecting current sheet. Ground-based and in-situ data show that electron-ion reconnection frequently occurs shortly after electron-only reconnection. We then compare solar wind driving, tail plasma, and geomagnetic features of traditional reconnection events to those of electron-only reconnection events. We find that solar wind driving and geomagnetic features of electron-only reconnection are identical to those of traditional reconnection. However, we find significant differences in tail field and plasma features of the two reconnection types. This suggests two things: 1. electron-only reconnection can act as a precursor to electron-ion reconnection, and 2. Electron-only reconnection occurs in different contexts in Earth’s magnetotail.

Friday, April 9, 2020

3:30 - 5:00 PM

In-Charge: C. T. Russell