[IGPP Everyone] Today - Space Physics Seminar - Spring Quarter - Fri.May 28, 2021 - 3:30pm - Zoom

Marjorie Sowmendran margie at igpp.ucla.edu
Fri May 28 09:02:47 PDT 2021

T O D A Y

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

Join Zoom Meeting

https://ucla.zoom.us/j/96663537686?pwd=bXVLSVFrU2g5T0dsU2lMQTFtOW5yUT09

Meeting ID: 966 6353 7686; Passcode: 981246

"H ybrid simulations of magnetic flux ropes"

Yu Lin

Physics Department, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849-5311

Abstract

Magnetic flux ropes exist widely in solar and space plasmas. In the magnetosphere, they are generated during magnetic reconnection at the magnetopause and in the magnetotail, and are believed to play essential roles in transport of plasma and electromagnetic energy between the solar wind and the magnetosphere. In the solar atmosphere, twisted flux ropes are a fundamental structure in pre-eruption magnetic field and the eruptions. In this talk, I will discuss the physics of magnetospheric flux ropes based on 3-D global hybrid simulations that include the fully kinetic ion physics. Specifically, I will discuss the formation of flux ropes due to time-dependent reconnection/FTEs, their global configuration, dynamic interaction, as well as the energy spectrum and orbits of the transmitted ions from the solar wind. Finally, I will briefly discuss our preliminary effort of extending hybrid simulations for dynamics of coronal flux tubes that are line-tied to the photosphere, driven by foot point vortices.

Friday, May 28, 2021

3:30 - 5:00 PM

In-Charge: C. T. Russell