[IGPP Everyone] TODAY - A SPECIAL Space Physics Seminar - Wed, June 21st, 12pm PDT - How sure are we about the magnetospheric response to solar wind driving? (N. Sivadas, NASA GSFC)

Emmanuel Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Wed Jun 21 07:49:05 PDT 2023

SPECIAL SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

Wednesday, June 21st, 2023

12:00 PM (noon) - 1:00 PM

In-person in Slichter Hall # 3853

How sure are we about the magnetospheric response to solar wind driving?

presented by

Dr. Nithin Sivadas

NASA Goddard

The inference of geospace environment response to solar wind forcing relies on comparing solar wind and geospace measurements. However, random uncertainties can lead to biases in the inferences drawn when comparing two parameters. Measuring solar wind at the Lagrange point L1, far upstream of the solar-wind magnetosphere interaction, brings substantial uncertainty in the actual solar-wind parameters that drive the magnetosphere system. This uncertainty leads to underestimating the magnetosphere and ionosphere responses, especially under extreme solar wind forcing. In this seminar, I aim to show the underlying reasons for this underestimation by comparing ACE and WIND spacecraft measurements and using a numerical thought experiment. Our argument highlights the need to remove statistical biases from uncertainties in the solar wind drivers before we can accurately infer the geospace environment response.

ZOOM LINK:

https://ucla.zoom.us/j/98070654630?pwd=aWdrSktueG9xWjU3cDZiQUhGRXV0UT09

Meeting ID: 980 7065 4630
Passcode: 365356