[IGPP Everyone] TOMORROW: Space Physics Seminar - Friday, May 12th, 2023, 3:30 PM PDT - How much do we understand CME evolution in the corona and heliosphere?

Emmanuel Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Thu May 11 13:56:45 PDT 2023

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

Friday, May 12th, 2023

3:30 - 4:30 PM

In-person in Slichter Hall # 3853, with refreshments and snacks afterwards on Franz Patio.

Additional snacks will include cookies and mochi ice cream , come and get your grub on!

How much do we understand CME evolution in the corona and heliosphere?

presented by

Dr. Erika Palermio

PSI

Coronal mass ejections (CMEs) are large eruptions of plasma and magnetic fields that are regularly expelled from the Sun into the heliosphere, and are amongst the major drivers of space weather effects at Earth and other solar system bodies. The evolution of CMEs as they propagate through the solar corona and interplanetary space is one of the major topics of heliophysics research. Far from being static, solid structures, CMEs travel away from the Sun through a structured ambient solar wind and interplanetary magnetic field that can lead to varied evolutionary outcomes, including deflections, rotations, deformations, and erosion. The complexity of the myriad processes affecting CME evolution in the solar corona and in interplanetary space makes full characterisation of the journey of a CME a particularly arduous task.

In this presentation, we will first provide a brief review of the current status of research and understanding of the evolution of CMEs in the solar corona and inner heliosphere. We will explore the major breakthroughs that have been obtained via multi-spacecraft measurements realised via fortuitous alignments of the observing probes throughout the heliosphere. Then, we will tackle the major open questions on CME evolution, with an additional focus on what knowledge gaps need to be filled in order to improve space weather forecasts. Finally, we will conclude by addressing the need for dedicated multi-spacecraft missions for CME science realised e.g. via satellite constellations, which have been gaining increasing interest over recent years.

ZOOM LINK:

https://ucla.zoom.us/j/98070654630?pwd=aWdrSktueG9xWjU3cDZiQUhGRXV0UT09

Meeting ID: 980 7065 4630
Passcode: 365356

In-Charge: Vassilis Angelopoulos, EPSS & Jacob Bortnik, AOS