[IGPP Everyone] TODAY: Space Physics Seminar - Fri May 19th, 2023, 3:30PM - Energetic electron precipitation: Magnetospheric drivers and atmospheric impacts (L. Blum, LASP CU)

Emmanuel Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Fri May 19 14:51:44 PDT 2023

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

Friday , May 19th, 2023

3:30 - 4:30 PM

In-person in Slichter Hall # 3853, with refreshments and snacks afterwards on Franz Patio.

Additional snacks will include cookies and mochi ice cream , come and get your grub on!

Energetic electron precipitation: Magnetospheric drivers and atmospheric impacts

presented by

Dr. Lauren Blum

CU/LASP

The outer radiation belt is a highly dynamic region of the Earth’s magnetosphere, with often-unpredictable variations in intensity and spatial extent. Characterization of this variable radiation environment is critical to mitigating spacecraft anomalies often caused by energetic particles. Precipitation into the atmosphere has been shown to be an important loss process for energetic particles in Earth’s magnetosphere, as well as a key energy input to Earth’s atmosphere, modifying atmospheric chemistry and ozone content. Here we explore the nature and extent of electron loss to the atmosphere as well as what electromagnetic wave modes may be causing it. In particular, we examine the detailed properties of rapid sub-second precipitation, termed microbursts. Microburst precipitation has long been associated with whistler mode chorus wave activity, due to their similar global distributions and sub-second structure. However, despite decades of observations, large gaps remain in our understanding of how, where, and when chorus waves can produce relativistic electron microbursts. We’ll highlight some recent results providing a more complete picture of the complex relationship between chorus waves and microburst precipitation. Finally, we’ll end by highlighting some upcoming efforts, including balloon and CubeSat measurements currently under development, that will help reveal the nature of the interaction between precipitating energetic particles and Earth’s atmosphere.

ZOOM LINK:

https://ucla.zoom.us/j/98070654630?pwd=aWdrSktueG9xWjU3cDZiQUhGRXV0UT09

Meeting ID: 980 7065 4630
Passcode: 365356

In-Charge: Vassilis Angelopoulos, EPSS & Jacob Bortnik, AOS