[IGPP Everyone] THIS FRIDAY: Space Physics Seminar -Fri, 6/2 3:30 PM PDT - Modeling the Inner Magnetosphere and Ionosphere Coupling During Magnetic Storms (M. Chen, Aerospace)

Emmanuel Masongsong emasongsong at igpp.ucla.edu
Tue May 30 14:24:24 PDT 2023

SPACE PHYSICS SEMINAR

DEPARTMENT OF EARTH, PLANETARY, AND SPACE SCIENCES

DEPARTMENT OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC SCIENCES
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

Friday, June 2nd, 2023

3:30 - 4:30 PM

In-person in Slichter Hall # 3853, with refreshments and snacks afterwards on Franz Patio.

Additional snacks will include cookies and mochi ice cream , come and get your grub on!

Modeling the Inner Magnetosphere and Ionosphere Coupling During Magnetic Storms

presented by

Dr. Margaret Chen

The Aerospace Corp.

Diffuse auroral particle precipitation is important for magnetosphere-ionosphere coupling because it is a major source of energy to the ionosphere. During magnetic storms, the precipitating particle (predominantly electron) fluxes are enhanced and modify the ionospheric Hall and Pedersen conductivity. The conductivity and field-aligned currents, driven by gradients in the particle pressure (predominantly contributed by protons), affect the electric potential that feedback on magnetospheric particle transport and redistribute the ring current. We investigate how the precipitating particles modify the ionospheric conductivity and electric field. Our approach is to couple simulation models: (1) the magnetically and electrically self-consistent Rice Convection Model – Equilibrium (RCM-E) of the inner magnetosphere, (2) the Superthermal Electron Transport Model (STET) (Khazanov et al., JGR, 2019) and (3) the B3C transport model for electron-proton-hydrogen atom aurora in the ionosphere (Strickland et al., JGR, 1993). We use parameterized rates of whistler-generated electron pitch-angle scattering from Orlova and Shprits (JGR, 2014) that depend on equatorial radial distance, magnetic activity (Kp), and magnetic local time (MLT) outside the simulated plasmasphere. Inside the plasmasphere, parameterized scattering rates due to hiss (Orlova et al., GRL, 2014) are used. The STET model takes account of backscattering effects of electrons precipitated from pitch- angle scattering from waves. For ion precipitation, we include a simple model of scattering due to field-line curvature that depends on the strong diffusion lifetime and the ratio of the ion gyro- radius to the radius of magnetic field line curvature. Spectral properties of the RCM-E precipitating electrons at 500 km are used as the upper boundary input to the B3C transport model for calculating profiles of conductivity, electron density, and heating over altitudes of 100 km to 500 km. We compare simulated trapped, precipitating electron distributions, electric field properties, and ionospheric conductance with measurements from the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program (DMSP) satellites and ground-based incoherent scatter radar data during storm events. We discuss the simulated high latitude particle and joule heating in the ionosphere during the storms.

ZOOM LINK:

https://ucla.zoom.us/j/98070654630?pwd=aWdrSktueG9xWjU3cDZiQUhGRXV0UT09

Meeting ID: 980 7065 4630
Passcode: 365356