[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 26, Number 47

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Wed Nov 23 07:59:11 PST 2016

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 26, Number 47
Nov.23,2016

Table of Contents

1. IMPORTANT GEM Deadlines Approaching

2. 2016 Mini-GEM Session: The Tail Environment and Dynamics at Lunar Distances Focus Group

1. IMPORTANT GEM Deadlines Approaching
From: Michael Wiltberger, Jacob Bortnik (wiltbemj at ucar.edu)

Since GEM thrives on the active involvement of its community members we wanted to remind you of two very important deadlines that are rapidly approaching.

Meeting Coordinator submissions due on Nov 28th
New Focus Group submissions due on Dec 5th.

Since the GEM chair will be out of email contact prior to these deadlines all submissions must be sent directly GEM Steering Committee Chair-elect Jacob Bortnik (jbortnik at atmos.ucla.edu)

Full details on the both calls are available in Volume 26 Number 45 of the GEM Messenger sent on November 4th.  In order to remind you of the basics of each call a brief summary is provided here.

Meeting Coordinator:
Anyone interested in serving, as the meeting coordinator should prepare a short, 1 page maximum, statement of his or her qualifications and interest in the position. It should include their plan for managing the key responsibilities, vision for working with the steering committee and a rough estimate of costs. Based on these statements of interest, the GEM Steering Committee will select and appoint the meeting coordinator for the next 5-year period. Final instatement of the meeting coordinator rests with the NSF, and is accomplished through an award from the GEM program for managing the annual meeting.

Focus Groups:
FG proposals are 4 pages in length and provide a summary of topic, fit, team and research area.  See the  by-laws (http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki/index.php/GEM_Bylaws) for full details. The FG proposals will be posted on the GEM Wiki website before the GEM Mini-Workshop. There will be a late-afternoon session at the Mini- Workshop at which the FG proposals will be presented and discussed in a forum open to the entire GEM community. The SC will then meet after the mini-workshop sessions to decide which proposals will be selected to become new GEM Focus Groups. If you are proposing a FG, then please plan to give a 5-minute presentation in this session.

2. 2016 Mini-GEM Session: The Tail Environment and Dynamics at Lunar Distances Focus Group