[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 26, Number 48

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Mon Nov 28 17:48:11 PST 2016

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 26, Number 48
Nov.28,2016

Table of Contents

1. 2016 Mini-GEM Session: Testing proposed links between mesoscale auroral and polar cap dynamics and substorms Focus Group

2. 2016 Mini-GEM Sessions: Quantitative Assessment of Radiation Belt Modeling Focus Group
December 11, Holiday Inn Golden Gateway, San Francisco

3. 2016 Mini GEM Session: Ionospheric Conductance Challenge

4. 2016 mini-GEM Session: Inner Magnetosphere Cross-Energy/Population Interactions (IMCEPI)

From: Toshi Nishimura, Kyle Murphy, Jian Yang and Emma Spanswick (toshi at atmos.ucla.edu)

The Substorm-Aurora-Polar Cap Focus Group discusses substorm onset sequences and related M-I coupling physics for bringing a potential closure to substorm onset problems. At the upcoming mini-GEM, we will discuss a recent substorm event (2016-2-10 at ~6:30 UT) detected by University of Calgary’s red-line all-sky imagers (REGO). Four groups of tail scientists are analyzing the event and will present their interpretations:

Robert McPherron & Xiangning Chu
Jonathan Rae & Nadine Kalmoni
Jun Liang & Eric Donovan & Emma Spanswick
Christine Gabrielse & Vassilis Angelopoulos

Their presentations will be followed by discussions with audience about the physics behind and future planning to improve our understanding of substorms. The session will be held at 13:50-15:20 on Dec 11, 2016 at the Washington room at the Holiday Inn Golden Gateway in San Francisco.