[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 27, Number 29

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Sun Jul 2 17:02:26 PDT 2017

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 27, Number 29
Jul.02,2017

Announcement submission website: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/messenger_form/

Table of Contents

1. AGU Fall 2017 Session: Energetic Particle Precipitation: New Findings and Measurement Platforms (SM021)

2. AGU Fall 2017 Session: Geospace Research from Polar Environments (SM025)

3. AGU Fall 2017 Session: Dayside Processes and Solar Wind-Magnetosphere Coupling (SM006)

4. AGU Fall 2017 Session: Dipolarization throughout the Magnetotail and its Effects on the Inner Magnetosphere (SM024)

1. AGU Fall 2017 Session: Energetic Particle Precipitation: New Findings and Measurement Platforms (SM021)
From: Lauren Blum, Leslie Woodger, Christopher Cully, Allison Jaynes (lauren.w.blum at nasa.gov)

Dear Colleagues,
We invite you to submit an abstract to our session on energetic particle precipitation at the upcoming Fall AGU.

SM021: Energetic Particle Precipitation: New Findings and Measurement Techniques
Session ID#: 23627

Session Description:
Precipitation into the atmosphere is an important loss process for energetic particles in Earth’s magnetosphere.   Quantification of such loss, as well as understanding of the physical mechanisms behind it through observation and simulation, is critical to our understanding of the dynamics of magnetospheres, magnetosphere-ionosphere interactions, and the chemistry and dynamics of the upper atmosphere.  Recent observations from a wide range of platforms, including balloons, ground observatories, and CubeSats, can provide important constraints on the spatial, temporal, and spectral characteristics of precipitation events.  This session welcomes submissions exploring energetic (~keV through >MeV) particle precipitation and the impact of this process on both trapped magnetospheric populations as well as atmospheric dynamics.  We especially encourage presentations utilizing different measurement types and platforms, as well as theory and modeling of the causes and effects of precipitation.

2. AGU Fall 2017 Session: Geospace Research from Polar Environments (SM025)
From: Hyomin Kim, Andrew Gerrard, Alex Chartier, Michael Hartinger (hmkim at njit.edu)

Dear Colleagues,

We invite you to submit an AGU abstract the co organized (SM/AE/S/SA/SH sections) session on "Geospace Research from Polar Environments".

SM025: Geospace Research from Polar Environments

Session ID#: 24131

Session Description:
The uniqueness of polar regions for conducting geospace research has been acknowledged for decades.  This is because instrumentation located at high-latitudes allows access to a natural laboratory for studying the Earth’s atmosphere, its space environment, and solar-generated interplanetary structures.  Such research includes the study of aurora, induced electrical currents, space weather, geomagnetic fields, ionospheric processes, temperature and winds in the neutral atmosphere, and atmospheric waves, all of which improve our understanding of the mechanisms which couple solar processes to the terrestrial environment.  This session solicits papers on recent advances in space physics and aeronomy focusing on the polar regions. Inter-hemispheric and conjugacy studies, as well as studies incorporating polar observations in the global context, are also welcome due to the advancement in these fields in recent years.

3. AGU Fall 2017 Session: Dayside Processes and Solar Wind-Magnetosphere Coupling (SM006)