[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 27, Number 30

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Thu Jul 6 17:43:32 PDT 2017

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 27, Number 30
Jul.06,2017

Announcement submission website: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/messenger_form/

Table of Contents

1. Dear Colleague Letter: Removal of Target Dates for Geospace Science Programs

2. CDF data of the PWING project are available from the ERG Science Center

3. VarSITI Newsletter Vol.14

4. AGU Fall 2017 Session: Physics of magnetic reconnection beyond 2D laminar models in space and in the laboratory (SM013)

5. AGU Fall 2017 Session: Recent advances in understanding the role of wave-particle interactions in Earth’s radiation belts (SM020)

6. AGU Fall 2017 Session: Energetic Particles as Tracers of Magnetospheric Processes (SM009)

7. AGU Fall 2017 Session:  Challenges in Magnetosphere – Ionosphere – Thermosphere Coupling: Magnetospheric Energy/Momentum Input and their Impact on High-latitude Ionospheric Electrodynamics (SM015)

8. AGU Fall 2017 Session: Multi-scale investigations of fundamental plasma processes by in-situ observations and simulations (SM014)

9. AGU Fall 2017 Session: Frontier solar-terrestrial science enabled by the combination of data-driven techniques and physics-based understanding (SM001)

1. Dear Colleague Letter: Removal of Target Dates for Geospace Science Programs
From: Michael Wiltberger (mwiltber at nsf.gov)

July 3, 2017

Dear Colleague:

The Division of Atmospheric and Geospace Sciences (AGS) will eliminate target dates for three solicitations in the Geospace Science Section — Coupling, Energetics, and Dynamics of Atmospheric Regions (CEDAR), Geospace Environment Modeling (GEM), and Solar, Heliospheric, and INterplanetary Environment (SHINE). Although these programs traditionally accepted new proposals throughout the latter half of the year, new proposals should only be submitted after October 1, 2017. This date was selected due to relocation of the NSF staff and services to a new headquarters building in Alexandria, VA, and to better align these programs with the fiscal year. The Program Solicitations for each of the programs listed above will be updated to reflect these changes. It is also important to note that the core Solar Terrestrial, Aeronomy, and Magnetosphere programs will continue to accept proposals at any time.

By submitting proposals at any time, investigators will have more time to prepare proposals and build strong collaborations; this will allow them to think more creatively without the pressure of a deadline, and to propose more complex, interdisciplinary projects that have the potential to dramatically advance science. As has been shown in other NSF Programs and Divisions where a no deadline submission process has been instituted, eliminating deadlines can reduce the burden on institutions and the community by spreading out the request period over the course of the year, as opposed to having submissions limited to two short time windows.

We will continue to use a combination of ad hoc reviews and panel input to assess the intellectual merit and broader impacts of submitted proposals. Supplements, EAGERs, and RAPIDs will continue to be entertained anytime following communication with the cognizant Program Director as indicated in the Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide (PAPPG).

We remind our community that proposals that have been declined need to be substantially revised to be considered again by the programs. Submissions that have not been changed significantly will be returned without review as outlined in the PAPPG.

Sincerely,

Dr. William E. Easterling
Assistant Director
Directorate for Geosciences

2. CDF data of the PWING project are available from the ERG Science Center
From: Kazuo Shiokawa (shiokawa at nagoya-u.jp)

The PWING Project started in 2016 operates airglow imagers, induction coils, riometers, VLF receivers, and EMCCD cameras at subauroral latitudes in Canada, Alaska, Russia, Finland, and Iceland, as part of the Arase (ERG) - ground coordinated observations.  The quick-look plots of the data have been opened from the PWING website at http://www.isee.nagoya-u.ac.jp/dimr/PWING/en/ (click each observation equipment). This time we have also opened real digital data of the PWING project in the CDF format from the website of the ERG Science Center with support by the IUGONET project, as below.

Note that the related load procedures for IDL/SPEDAS have been developed and will be released as erg plug-in procedures from the ERG Science Center.  The information on these load procedures will be announced when they are available.  Without these load procedures, one can also download the data from the site and make plots as you like using some appropriate IDL/Matlab/Python codes.

The basic rules of the road is to contact the PI when users use the data at any publications/presentations, and scientists who have contributed to the measurements at these ground stations can have opportinuty to join the research, if the data is significant for that research. Details on the Rules of the Road, PI etc are included in the CDF files.

ERG science center (CDF-formatted data)
https://ergsc.isee.nagoya-u.ac.jp/index.shtml.en

IUGONET (meta data)
http://search.iugonet.org/list.jsp

All-sky camera: ATH, GAK, HUS, KAP, NYR and other 15 OMTI stations
https://ergsc.isee.nagoya-u.ac.jp/data/ergsc/ground/camera/omti/asi/

Induction magnetometers: ATH, GAK, KAP, ZGN, MGD, PTK, STA, MSR
https://ergsc.isee.nagoya-u.ac.jp/data/ergsc/ground/geomag/stel/induction/

Riometers: ATH, GAK, HUS, KAP
https://ergsc.isee.nagoya-u.ac.jp/data/ergsc/ground/riometer/

VLF/ELF receivers: ATH and KAP
https://ergsc.isee.nagoya-u.ac.jp/data/ergsc/ground/vlf/

EMCCD camera keograms: GAK, KEV (full 100Hz data are available on request)
https://ergsc.isee.nagoya-u.ac.jp/data/ergsc/ground/camera/emccd/pwing/ask/

PWING stands for "study of dynamical variation of Particles and Waves in the INner magnetosphere using Ground-based network observations."

3. VarSITI Newsletter Vol.14
From: Kazuo Shiokawa (shiokawa at nagoya-u.jp)

SCOSTEP's VarSITI (Variability of the Sun and Its Terrestrial Impact, 2014-2018)

VarSITI Newsletter volume 14 has now been published.  The PDF file is available at
http://newserver.stil.bas.bg/varsiti/newsL/VarSITI_Newsletter_Vol14.pdf
Below are the contents of this volume.

Contents of VarSITI Newsletter Volume 14

Articles
1. The Community Coordinated Modeling Center: A Community Resource (Y. Zheng et al.)
2. ISEST Working Group 4 Campaign Events Studies (D. Webb and N. Nitta)
3. Catalog of large-scale solar wind phenomena during 1976-2016 (Y. I. Yermolaev and N. S. Nikolaeva)
4. Database on the Forbush-effects and interplanetary disturbances to study Earth-affecting solar transients (A. Belov et al.)

Highlight on Young Scientists
1. Sneha A. Gokani/ India
2. Oluwafisayo Owolabi/ Nigeria
3. Claudia Martinez-Calderon/ Japan

Meeting Report
1. ROMIC workshop (F. J. Luebken)

Upcoming Meetings

From: Hantao Ji, William Daughton, Robert Ergun (hji at princeton.edu)

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite you to submit abstracts to our session titled "Physics of magnetic reconnection beyond 2D laminar models in space and in the laboratory", which will be devoted to discussions of 3D physics in collisionless reconnection as well as its references based on 2D laminar models. Results from all three approaches (observations, simulations and laboratory experiments) are encouraged to be presented and discussed.

Session ID: 24892

Session Title: SM013. Physics of magnetic reconnection beyond 2D laminar models in space and in the laboratory

Section/Focus Group: SPA-Magnetospheric Physics

Session Viewer Link:  https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session24892

Session Description:
Huge progress has been seen in revealing the kinetic physics of magnetic reconnection on ion and electron scales in the past 2 years.  The initial successes are mostly based on high-quality measurements by MMS and high-quality kinetic simulations of 2D laminar reconnection. However, crucial questions on electron-scale dissipation during reconnection are still unanswered, especially given the observed large, high-frequency parallel electric fields and associated electromagnetic waves at low-frequencies, both of which requires physics beyond 2D laminar reconnection. On the other hand, controlled laboratory experiments have been long studying these phenomena in close collaborations with 3D kinetic modeling. This session is to bring together researchers based on all three approaches to highlight new progress and to provide a focused platform for scientific exchanges to push our understanding beyond 2D laminar reconnection towards 3D turbulent reconnection. Ongoing and future opportunities to resolve these outstanding questions will be discussed.

From: Maria Usanova, Seth Claudepierre, Wen Li, Weichao Tu (maria.usanova at lasp.colorado.edu)

Dear Colleagues,
We invite you to submit an abstract to our session on wave-particle interactions in the radiation belts at the upcoming Fall AGU.

SM020:
Recent advances in understanding the role of wave-particle interactions in Earth’s radiation belts
Session ID#: 22228

Session Description:
Understanding the mechanisms of build-up and decay of energetic particle fluxes in Earth's radiation belts is one of the fundamental problems of modern space physics. Particularly, quantification of electron acceleration, transport, and loss is crucial for understanding the dynamics of the radiation belts and developing space weather prediction models. As radiation belt electrons undergo cyclotron and bounce motion, and azimuthal drift in the Earth’s magnetosphere, they encounter several distinct classes of waves. These waves contribute to electron energization, transport and precipitation into the atmosphere. The focus of this session is on generation mechanisms, properties, statistics of various plasma wave modes (e.g., ULF, VLF, EMIC, TDS, magnetosonic, etc.) and their roles in the dynamics of energetic particle populations in the inner magnetosphere.
We call for observational contributions using data from recent missions (ARASE (ERG), MMS, Van Allen Probes, THEMIS, Cluster, POES/GOES, CubeSat, BARREL, etc.) as well as theory and models.

6. AGU Fall 2017 Session: Energetic Particles as Tracers of Magnetospheric Processes (SM009)
From: Sun Hee Lee, Ian Cohen, Drew L Turner, Brian Walsh (sunheeleejbf at gmail.com)

Dear Colleagues,
We invite you to submit an abstract to our session on "Energetic Particles as Tracers of Magnetospheric Processes".

Session ID#: 22946

Session Description:
Energetic particles (E > 10’s keV) provide important information concerning fundamental physical processes central to solar wind-magnetosphere interactions that take place within the foreshock, at the bow shock, in the magnetosheath, and at the magnetopause of planets with and without magnetospheres. Both Fermi and shock drift acceleration have been proposed to occur at the bow shock and upstream within the foreshock, whereas magnetic reconnection can energize particles at the magnetopause and allow magnetospheric particles to escape. The energetic electrons measured from high-latitude LEO can be used to determine the nature of loss processes occurring at lower latitudes magnetosphere. Energetic particles can also be used as tracers to remotely sense magnetic field boundaries or to determine whether spacecraft are on open or closed magnetic field lines. This session focusses on studies including energetic particles as remote sensors of various space plasma phenomena. We solicit abstracts from both observational and theoretical/modeling studies.