[GEM] THE GEM MESSENGER, Volume 27, Number 53

Newsletter Editor editor at igpp.ucla.edu
Fri Nov 10 08:10:38 PST 2017

***************************
     THE GEM MESSENGER
***************************

Volume 27, Number 53
Nov.10,2017

Announcement submission website: http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/messenger_form/

Table of Contents

1. REMINDER: Last Day of GEM Workshop Format Poll

2. 2017 mini-GEM: Inner magnetosphere cross-energy/population interactions (IMCEPI)

1. REMINDER: Last Day of GEM Workshop Format Poll
From: GEM Communications Coordinator (gemeditor at igpp.ucla.edu)

Today, November 10, is the last day to express your preferences of the GEM Workshop format at the online poll. If you haven't done so, please fill out the poll at the following website:

https://goo.gl/forms/Kjfyq3oRVzBWErOB3

Below is the original announcement posted on October 20:

GEM Workshop Format Poll: November 10th

Dear GEM colleagues,

The GEM workshop has grown substantially over the years.  This growth has obvious benefits, but it also presents challenges.  Many of the newer members of GEM might not be aware of its history (http://www-ssc.igpp.ucla.edu/gem/tutorial/2005/russell05.pdf).  It was conceived in the 1980s to carry out specific “campaigns” aimed at solving important problems.  Thus, GEM’s beginnings were the definition of a “workshop” where scientists would go to solve problems.  The passage of time and the growth of GEM brings us to today, where focus groups are chosen to address particular topics, but the sessions range from open discussion in a workshop format to short talks in the "AGU/SPA” style that challenge the kind of discussion-based workshop model that traditionally has been the hallmark of GEM.  In many ways, the “problem solving” goal of GEM has dissipated over the years, and it has started to resemble more of a AGU-style conference than a workshop.

This trend has been noted both by the Steering Committee and by the broader GEM community.  The Steering Committee wants to learn from the community about its preferences for the future of GEM.  Do you want to return to the workshop style that underlay the formation of GEM and distinguishes it from more formal meetings like AGU?  Do you prefer the AGU style?  Of the current activities we do at GEM, which do you value?  Which would you change and to what?

We have put together a poll that tries to gauge the priorities of the GEM community, and to offer potential trade-offs that we as a community could make to improve the GEM meetings.

Please fill out the form linked below by November 10th and let us know what is important to you, as well as anything else that we as the GEM leadership could be doing better.
https://goo.gl/forms/Kjfyq3oRVzBWErOB3

Thank you,
Jacob Bortnik on behalf of the GEM steering committee

2. 2017 mini-GEM: Inner magnetosphere cross-energy/population interactions (IMCEPI)
From: Yiqun Yu, Colby Lemon, Jichun Zhang, Mike Liemohn (yiqunyu17 at gmail.com)

Dear colleagues,

The Inner magnetosphere cross-energy/population interactions (IMCEPI) focus group will have one session in the upcoming mini-GEM workshop to be held on Sunday 10th December 2017 at the Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Convention Center in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Our session is at  13:50 - 15:20 in the Magnolia Room.

We will continue the “spacecraft charging” challenges from the summer workshop. The following events are selected :
1.      16 March to 20 March 2013
2.      31 May to 2 June 2013

We cordially encourage you to simulate the two events and present the modeling results of inner magnetosphere plasma conditions as well as the comparisons to satellite measurements such as Van Allen Probes, or GOES. It would be nice if the model results can be interpolated into the same energy channels as in the instruments.

In addition, we also welcome talks in topics related to the focus group , particularly on the inner magnetosphere plasma waves interacting with energetic populations.

Please contact Yiqun Yu (yiqunyu17 at gmail.com) if you would like to contribute to our session.

(IMPORTANT: Do not use this web page to post announcements.)

For any other questions, please contact Peter Chi, GEM Communications Coordinator, at <pchi at igpp.ucla.edu>

URL of GEM Home Page:  http://aten.igpp.ucla.edu/gemwiki
Workshop Information:  http://www.cpe.vt.edu/gem/index.html